Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

GH Kauai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - 1999-mid-2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GH Kauai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - 1999-mid-2011

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2011, 2:19 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I can't say I ever recall being charged the resort fee and I've been there every year for the past 5.
I wasn't charged the resort fee on my stay - but it was an award stay on points (Hyatt's T&Cs call for waiver of resort fee on any award stay) - but the resort fee can apply on any revenue stay.
Old May 24, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold,IHG Plat Amb, CC Gold, Kimpton IC, United, AA, BA, Amtrak G.R.
Few questions about an upcoming stay:

a) When they take the deposit with a reservation, will they refund the deposit to my card that was charged at time of the reservation, once I get there and pay for my stay with another credit card and/or gift card?

b) If I book one paid night and use a suite upgrade, and then book a seperate reservation using points for the next 3 or 4 nights, is it best to try to contact the hotel in advance to see if I can have that same suite the whole stay or would it be smarter to "hope for the best" once I checked in.

thanks!!
Old May 24, 2011, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I've mixed point and revenue stays, but mostly stay on points and haven't ever been charged.

If they did - I would definitely say something, particularly since internete access is free for diamonds AND it can be pretty crappy, depending upon where you are on the property. In the rooms, it's often crappy
Old May 24, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
My experience with extending the suite upgrade beyond the eligible nights is that they will most likely do it for a day or 2 but not more unless the occupancy is very low. On our last stay I had a mix of 3 reservations (long story) and for the first 2 nights I was using 2 free suite nights from the Chase CC sign-up bonus. The following 2 nights were on points and then we had another few nights on points. Prior to our arrival I made sure that the GHK staff was aware of all 3 reservations. When we checked in we were offered the suite for the first 4 nights (2 suite award nights and 2 regular award nights) but were told we'd have to move to a regular room (if you consider the full ocean view room to be regular) for the remaining nights. We opted to just take the FOV room for the entire stay as it would have been a hassle to move half way through our vacation. For this we received a big thank you in the form of a spa credit.
Old May 24, 2011, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by imm2b
David - you need to call them to refund your resort fee. None of us had to pay resort fee as diamond.
Thanks .. I called back this morning and they refunded it for me.

Originally Posted by vincentppetty
There is no waiver of the resort fee at GHK. Anyone who has gotten such a waiver is VERY lucky ... I've known people to complain, but all it does is upset the management and get a noted placed in your file for your next visit -- it's such a nominal fee, I suggest not rocking the boat because mgmt at GHK can be most generous to repeat visitors.
Vincent: I didn't complain about it, I just asked and if they said "no", that would have been fine too. lol about the note in your file thing. Is that like Junior High School? Personally, I think it's ok to ask for almost anything, depending on how you ask as long as you don't have expectations that your requests are always going to be honored. I have friends that ask for and get lots more comps and upgrades than I do. And the properties seem to love them because of their social skills.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; May 24, 2011 at 4:35 pm
Old May 24, 2011, 4:37 pm

Mary, you like the left side of the property rather than the right side (the sprawling side with the club)? I always liked the right side, especially ground level rooms.

-David
Old May 24, 2011, 6:41 pm

I prefer the rooms near the club and the spa, since we really like the steam room and outdoor showers. It's also much quieter.
Old May 24, 2011, 6:45 pm

I prefer the rooms near the club and the spa, since we really like the steam room and outdoor showers. It's also much quieter.
ok, it was confusing when you said something about the 5th and 6th floors.

-David
Old May 24, 2011, 6:48 pm

Now I'm confused. There are 6 floors on that side and 1 & 2 are basically built into the hill with almost no view. It's completely different in the other wing, but also much more crowded feeling and noisier.
Old May 24, 2011, 7:03 pm

Now I'm confused. There are 6 floors on that side and 1 & 2 are basically built into the hill with almost no view. It's completely different in the other wing, but also much more crowded feeling and noisier.
I thought the right side with the club only had 4 floors. Isn't the lobby level basically the top, 4th floor on the right side? The other side (closer to the pool, where the Italian restaurant is) has multiple floors above lobby level.

When I say right, I mean facing the hotel/ocean from the entrance, where you arrive. The right side is the sprawling side with the floors built into the hill. Lots of walking but nicer than the other side, IMO.

I don't know if I actually ever stayed on the the first floor. because of the hill, I think all the floors on that side have some ground level rooms.

Though I lived on the island, I'm sure you have stayed at the Hyatt many more times that I ever did.

-David
Old May 24, 2011, 9:15 pm

Club is on the 3rd floor and there are 2 more under it although you can't tell looking from the street. If you start walking towards the FD from the GC take the first elevator 2 levels down and you will be at the pool level right under the Ilima terace.
Old May 25, 2011, 5:52 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Agreed, and the Coco Mango products in the spa showers are a big ^ The self-parking (employee ?, but we've used it with no apparent problem) is very convenient. Near the club is important for that first cup of coffee in the morning, as the "coffee" in the room just doesn't seem to do it for us.
Old May 25, 2011, 7:02 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 9000 (Bold): BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.822 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Originally Posted by skj
Agreed, and the Coco Mango products in the spa showers are a big ^ The self-parking (employee ?, but we've used it with no apparent problem) is very convenient. Near the club is important for that first cup of coffee in the morning, as the "coffee" in the room just doesn't seem to do it for us.
Speaking of coffee, I don't know why they don't use the local coffee. Seatle's Best is so bland and I can get it in every other place. In late March they were running a promotion where they had the local coffee on offer and from what I can tell majority of people in the GC preferred that one over SB. Wish they would continue this promo indefinitely.
Old May 25, 2011, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I thought the right side with the club only had 4 floors. Isn't the lobby level basically the top, 4th floor on the right side? The other side (closer to the pool, where the Italian restaurant is) has multiple floors above lobby level.

When I say right, I mean facing the hotel/ocean from the entrance, where you arrive. The right side is the sprawling side with the floors built into the hill. Lots of walking but nicer than the other side, IMO.

I don't know if I actually ever stayed on the the first floor. because of the hill, I think all the floors on that side have some ground level rooms.

Though I lived on the island, I'm sure you have stayed at the Hyatt many more times that I ever did.

-David
Got it. Yes, ground level on that side is 4, but it slopes down quickly. If you take the corridor and use the exterior exit to the garden area, you're already on 3. The downside is that floors 1 & 2 only 1 one elevator that gets you to 3 or 4, and it's a pain to use. The guest laundry is down there. All the rooms on 3 are ground level, and then there's a terraced that's above 1 &2.

Needless to say, that side of the hotel can get VERY confusing

I think you need to visit Kauai more often if I've been there more than you
Old May 25, 2011, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by skj
They have reformulated the products, supposedly to make them more naturual and claim the scent hasn't changed.

It has. I compared a bottle of the new stuff with some of the old stuff I had at home and there's a noticable difference.

Someone suggested to me they think it looks like Portico packaging, and that would explain alot - they may have changed the manufacturer of the product.

It's still nice, but not nearly as nice as it was. I doubt I'll be shipping home many more quart bottles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.