Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2023, 9:58 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Where would you stay instead?

-David
It would be outside Hyatt's properties as the other two seem to have problems. Probably a Marriott property as I have status there.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Markie
It would be outside Hyatt's properties as the other two seem to have problems. Probably a Marriott property as I have status there.
IMO Sheraton Waikiki is a better choice than HR even with the lesser elite benefits. Being on the ocean side of Kalakaua makes a big difference to me. Why fly all the way to Hawaii just to listen to unmuffled exhausts at night when you could be listening to the surf?
Old Feb 16, 2023, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
My stay overlapped with Markie's and we finally got to meet in person. I will NOT review my room because I am a regular guest who has been going there for nearly 20 years annually, and sometimes bi-annually. Suffice to say I was very happy with my accommodations.

Everything was as expected and not very much changed since we were last there 5 years ago - life & Covid got in the way of our annual visits. We were thrilled to be back.

BUT - and this is a very big but.... the club is out of control. The staff is so overworked they can barely stand still for a minute. It is nearly impossible to get a seat, and the 3 days the weather was too windy to be outside, getting a seat in the morning or evening was impossible. There simply are too many globalists going to this aspirational property. The reservations staff and front desk are inundated with requests. The club is no longer the nice, relaxing place to grab a few bites of food, have a drink, and chat a bit. It was so loud one night we actually left. For the first time ever, we had young children running around the club. While we have seen some children there in the past, they were always well behaved. Not this time. There are not very many standard suites, and it seems everyone wants one.

My hope is that when all the 20 stay globalists are done, things will bet back to more normal.

So, if you're thinking you're going to get an upgrade at this property, I would rethink it. Particularly at times when school is not in session.

We still love the hotel and will continue to go back. But for now, our expectations are being managed, and I strongly suggest anyone going also manage their expectations.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 10:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
We're going next week, then to GH Kauai, and now I wish I'd had the foresight to wait until after Feb 28 for this trip so the globalist pool would be smaller. Don't care about a suite upgrade, but not having the club be packed would be good.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 11:11 am

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
Originally Posted by Mary2e
the club is out of control.... It is nearly impossible to get a seat... There simply are too many globalists going to this aspirational property.
Same thing happen to us and they told us that they no longer provide to-go containers to have breakfast in our rooms. Walking around holding plates and watch people eat....then feeling pressure to eat fast once you have a table is definitely not a relaxing way to start the day. Maybe if they keep this up, they will offer LT to have breakfast in the restaurant (or paying a discounted price for the full buffet) to address this over crowding issue.

Not just Diamonds/Glob/Glob light are here. There is just not that many lounge that is open and this is a great value to use club access awards.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 11:41 am

Programs: B6 M4, AA Plat Pro, WoH Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb, MB Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Lomic
We're going next week, then to GH Kauai, and now I wish I'd had the foresight to wait until after Feb 28 for this trip so the globalist pool would be smaller. Don't care about a suite upgrade, but not having the club be packed would be good.
Wouldn't have my hopes too high on this
Old Feb 16, 2023, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by 168
Same thing happen to us and they told us that they no longer provide to-go containers to have breakfast in our rooms. Walking around holding plates and watch people eat....then feeling pressure to eat fast once you have a table is definitely not a relaxing way to start the day. Maybe if they keep this up, they will offer LT to have breakfast in the restaurant (or paying a discounted price for the full buffet) to address this over crowding issue.

Not just Diamonds/Glob/Glob light are here. There is just not that many lounge that is open and this is a great value to use club access awards.
We were fairly lucky. Due to coming from the east coast, were up very early most mornings and got to the club by 6:30am the days of the worst wind. We ate at a normal pace and left. At night we went early, had a few bites and also left fairly quickly, but returned after 7:30pm so we could sit & relax for a bit. It wasn't crowded at that time except for Super Bowl Sunday, and that night, we went to Shor.

I'm hoping that on March 1 the crowding will go down. I don't think getting a voucher for breakfast at Shor would be a good answer either = they had lines every day during breakfast hours. Lots of packages & programs offer the breakfast buffet.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 5:50 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Mary2e
My stay overlapped with Markie's and we finally got to meet in person. I will NOT review my room because I am a regular guest who has been going there for nearly 20 years annually, and sometimes bi-annually. Suffice to say I was very happy with my accommodations.

Everything was as expected and not very much changed since we were last there 5 years ago - life & Covid got in the way of our annual visits. We were thrilled to be back.

BUT - and this is a very big but.... the club is out of control. The staff is so overworked they can barely stand still for a minute. It is nearly impossible to get a seat, and the 3 days the weather was too windy to be outside, getting a seat in the morning or evening was impossible. There simply are too many globalists going to this aspirational property. The reservations staff and front desk are inundated with requests. The club is no longer the nice, relaxing place to grab a few bites of food, have a drink, and chat a bit. It was so loud one night we actually left. For the first time ever, we had young children running around the club. While we have seen some children there in the past, they were always well behaved. Not this time. There are not very many standard suites, and it seems everyone wants one.

My hope is that when all the 20 stay globalists are done, things will bet back to more normal.

So, if you're thinking you're going to get an upgrade at this property, I would rethink it. Particularly at times when school is not in session.

We still love the hotel and will continue to go back. But for now, our expectations are being managed, and I strongly suggest anyone going also manage their expectations.
Also have many decades staying at this hotel and met so many fine team members through the years and have good memories.That said
I suppose my question to all here in this thread is it really about managing our expectations or is it about the hotel working harder at improving the current situation?
There are a number of the things the hotel could do IMO.
I will likely go back again but not when I am with loved ones or celebrating special occassions.I do not want to subject them to the HR organized chaos
And I typically go to the restaurant and avoid the club where I get swarmed with birds like the Alfred Hitchcock movie "The Birds" Sorry not a nature fan while dining.
Att: birds please poop on the balcony or elsewhere Its not fun watching the team beat the birds away gently with brooms either

Before heading to Andaz Maui I decided to splurge in Hono and go to a hotel that actually provided a genuine 5 star experience.
At near 40% more I had an apt more so with dead on ocean views and quiet exclusive pools and well behaved civilized guests
Kitchen with Meile appliances washer and dryer and outstanding dining every morning served by passionate team members

In my own experience Hyatt is slipping in the Domestic US with food,beverage and clubs.
That's if they exist or open at all.Some are at their lowest quality I've ever seen in my lifetime.
My spending with all hotels/brands are way up again but I've moved my business around
having achieved lifetime status in most major programs
I am no longer brand loyal to some degree but experience loyal.There was an era where all I saw was Hyatt & SPG properties
Club and food & beverage aside.I've always been upgraded here to nice rooms by getting contacts @ the hotel and requesting what I prefer
If I were to go unannounced and I have (suggest replying to the pre arrival email) I expect failure having tried that.

Know their allocated suites are not to my interest and there is a very limited supply of their so called family suites.Which have no appeal to me personally
So its a room for me here in the right position.The hotel has never been honest with me and I finally figured out their game.
They never exceed expectations here in recent years but give an adequate decent convention hotel like experience in Waikiki just elevating themselves a tad over the other similar tired properties
That's an ownership management thing .The hotel was much better years ago as they moved to maximize revenue over guest experience over time.
I still like the hotel oddly despite my criticisms but the value has deeply eroded and I long for something better in between high end luxury and well what it is @ present.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Feb 16, 2023 at 5:57 pm
Old Feb 16, 2023, 6:19 pm

Selling rooms with club access is almost unlimited upside for hotels. Higher revenue and profits with basically fixed costs since they are already running the club. Hotel owners love it and there is almost nothing stopping them from selling as many as they want. Elite complaints don’t matter as much as profits.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
Selling rooms with club access is almost unlimited upside for hotels. Higher revenue and profits with basically fixed costs since they are already running the club. Hotel owners love it and there is almost nothing stopping them from selling as many as they want. Elite complaints don’t matter as much as profits.
They did sell rooms with club access and/or at check in, but I believe that has stopped. They do still sell club access rooms though. These are mostly all globalists filling the club. I was told the numbers of them checking in for a few days. While I will not repeat them, be assured that it was a significant number and over the course of those few days, could have easily filled the club. I was shocked there were so many of them at the hotel at the same time.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Here for the (rainy) weekend and echo the comments about the club. The only thing I've done there is grabbed some POG in a to-go cup and immediately left. Unlimited free-flowing POG is still quite the benefit though, at least for me.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 2:19 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I can't believe this property could be considered aspirational...plasticky sheets, terrible noise isolation, and swarming birds at breakfast. Count me as a Globalist who won't be aspiring to return anytime soon.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
I can't believe this property could be considered aspirational...plasticky sheets, terrible noise isolation, and swarming birds at breakfast. Count me as a Globalist who won't be aspiring to return anytime soon.
Hawaii is aspirational as a whole. I loved the sheets. Perhaps it was because I was in a suite? They were silky soft. Our room was also silent except for some street noise that died down at night. The birds ARE a problem.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 3:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Birds were an issue at the regency club at the HR in Maui as well.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
It's aspirational in the sense that it's Hawaii, it's generous with award availability, and the Globalist benefits can save guests a bunch of money compared to non-Hyatt properties. I'm pretty sure that's the reason for the glut of Globalists. Not because of anything to do with the quality of the property.

Points availability plus Globalist benefits are the ONLY reason I'd stay here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.