Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Dar es Salaam (Kilimanjaro), Tanzania REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Dar es Salaam (Kilimanjaro), Tanzania REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2020, 10:54 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It's been about 1.5 years. In my memory, the airport wasn't that far, but traffic can be kinda blah at times. The ferry terminal is really close by, maybe ~15 min slow walk. If you have a lot of luggage, I'd suggest using Uber. The area around the ferry terminal is full of touts, and can be quite stressful with kids + luggage - they have a tendency to try and snatch your luggage and hold it for a "tip" for moving it.

I think it really depends on where you're staying in Zanzibar as well. I stayed at the PH Zanzibar after HR Dar Es Salaam. PH Zanzibar is ~25 min walk from the Zanzibar ferry terminal; the airport is ~30 min from Stonetown because I ran into traffic.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 1:40 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by gspurr
Thanks for reviews and pics Solewalker and Impala. I'm going to be coming in on the Swiss Air flight at the end of June and staying one night at the Hyatt before heading over to Zanzibar the next day. My wife and I will have a 4 and 8 year old with us. The hotel seems to be kind of far from the airport (at least time-wise). Would you suggest taking the ferry to Zanzibar (which seems closer to the hotel) or going back to the airport the next day and taking a flight? We are going to be in Africa for a month in different climate zones so we will have a fair ammount of luggage.
we took the Swiss flight as well. With an arrival at 10.30p, until you have your luggage etc, it is about 11.15p until out of the terminal. I arranged pick up via the hotel. The drive was about 20-25 minutes, not much traffic at this hour.

we had lots of luggage, 2 large suitcases, 2 laaaarge boxes. We arranged transfer to ferry terminal for the next day via the hotel. Cost was only 3$ and charged to the room! About 7 minutes by car to ferry terminal. Our driver fighted at the entry to the ferry terminal area, and then the guards opened a special gate for us so we could drive all the way down to the security check with all our luggage. That was great. We needed porters in any case, but yes, they do try to grab your bags immediately, but that was fine for us,

trip via ferry is 1.5 hours, cost 50$ in the VIP class. We had the newest ship Kilimangaro VII, where they charged an additional 10$ for VIP class.
Air is about a 20 minute flight, but I doubt it is faster considering the travel to the airport etc, especially if staying at the PH Zanzibar, which we are doing right now. As solewalker says, about 20-25 min walk to the PH from the ferry terminal, by car 15 minutes, as you have to take a detour (one way street.)
SanDiego1K likes this.

Last edited by 59Impala; Feb 3, 2020 at 1:59 pm
Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:27 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
Thanks Impala and Solewalker. The proximity of the HR and the PH Zanzibar to the ferry terminals seems to make the ferry the obvious choice as we are also going to be going to the PH Zanzibar. However, I am a still bit hesitant due to what sounds like a fairly chaotic ferry terminal (especially with luggage), the fact that we will be jetlagged coming from Canada via Zurich, and that 3 out of 4 family members are prone to seasickness. I was originally thinking that we would take our time, hang out at the pool at the HR and catch an afternoon ferry, but it seems as if the ocean is much calmer in the morning than the afternoon.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 11:08 pm
formerly a193991

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
that is true, the earlier the calmer. we took the 12.30 ferry. I did not notice anything , but I can also not be taken for measurement, I have never been air or sea sick.... my wife thought it was shaky, but took medication and felt fine.

yes terminals are chaotic, but that is Africa and personally find it an experience.😁

Last edited by 59Impala; Aug 20, 2021 at 8:14 am
Old Feb 10, 2020, 6:30 am
formerly a193991

Thanks Impala and Solewalker. The proximity of the HR and the PH Zanzibar to the ferry terminals seems to make the ferry the obvious choice as we are also going to be going to the PH Zanzibar. However, I am a still bit hesitant due to what sounds like a fairly chaotic ferry terminal (especially with luggage), the fact that we will be jetlagged coming from Canada via Zurich, and that 3 out of 4 family members are prone to seasickness. I was originally thinking that we would take our time, hang out at the pool at the HR and catch an afternoon ferry, but it seems as if the ocean is much calmer in the morning than the afternoon.
Coming back to my previous comments.

on our way back, we again took the ferry. and honestly, if we'd travel again, we'd definitely take a flight. It is really chaotic. we had purchased our ferry tickets in advance (had to be paid via credit card and some mobile payment system). on our way out to ZNZ we had no issue with the boarding pass, but on our return, we had to walk from the ferry about 500m to the office, there the agent found our reservation, but said payment was not received... by chance the agent who had arranged our tickets was there, and he pulled up our e-mail confirmation/communication on his mobile phone, so I was ok with talking to him. he and the agent discussed in Suahili something.... and while my wife was waiting outside in the heat watching our luggage... I was almost about to pay the tickets again, just that we could move on.... but somehow our agent convinced the ferry agent and boarding passes were issued.

finding your way round is not very logical at the ferry terminals, the process did not really make that much sense... but the porters at least could help a bit.. honestly, I know the airline/airport processes well.... so that will be our option for the future. It was an experience, had it, done it....
Old Feb 10, 2020, 6:32 am
formerly a193991

Checked in again yesterday for a stay just until our flight left before midnight.

front desk agents all remembered us, all forms were already there on the counter, only needed to sign.
Again, upgraded to a Regency Suite.

great staff, great food (Indian dinner), recommend this hotel for sure.

Welcome gift on both stays: fruit basket and a bottle of South African red wine.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:23 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
Thanks again for the updates Impala. I think we will fly. I'm interested in your take on the PH Zanzibar if you have time at some point to post a review.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 10:13 am
formerly a193991

Thanks again for the updates Impala. I think we will fly. I'm interested in your take on the PH Zanzibar if you have time at some point to post a review.
Just posted a review: Park Hyatt Zanzibar REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Aug 19, 2021, 4:53 pm
Community Director Emerita

We plan to arrive mid afternoon. Should we book a driver from the hotel? Can hotel staff be helpful in getting us to the ferry and booking our tickets?

Has anyone stayed here recently who can report as to whether there is a Regency Club? Friends stayed in 2019 and there was a club. There is a 2020 report above that says there is not. But when I booked, i was given the option of using points for a Club room. I'm a globalist, so didn't bother, but it indicated there is currently a lounge.

We will spend 6 nights between Dar es Salaam and Park Hyatt Zanzibar. How should we split it? 3:3? 2:4? I've been looking at sightseeing in Dar. It appears we can fill one day but not two. Thoughts?
Old Aug 19, 2021, 5:48 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
I would say two in Dar and four in the Bar.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 8:12 am
formerly a193991

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We plan to arrive mid afternoon. Should we book a driver from the hotel? Can hotel staff be helpful in getting us to the ferry and booking our tickets?

Has anyone stayed here recently who can report as to whether there is a Regency Club? Friends stayed in 2019 and there was a club. There is a 2020 report above that says there is not. But when I booked, i was given the option of using points for a Club room. I'm a globalist, so didn't bother, but it indicated there is currently a lounge.

We will spend 6 nights between Dar es Salaam and Park Hyatt Zanzibar. How should we split it? 3:3? 2:4? I've been looking at sightseeing in Dar. It appears we can fill one day but not two. Thoughts?
That was my report re the RC I believe. Don't know, what the situation is now.

I arranged airport pick up and transport to the ferry terminal via the hotel concierge. when arriving at the ferry, we were able to pass the closed gate in the taxi and bypass all the crowds which was very helpful! The tickets to ZNZ I purchased here: https://www.zanzibarquest.com/ferrie...-zanzibar.html

I arrived around midnight and left at Noon the following day. We did not want to do any sightseeing, don't know if there is much to see anyhow. Honestly, we did not bother to do some research either, as our primary destination was Zanzibar. So from my perspective it's a 1:5
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 9:33 am

Has anyone had a Covid test while at the hotel? I need to have a PCR test within 48 hours of flying to our next destination. Ideally, I'd like someone to come to the hotel as was done for us in Oman. I've reached out to the hotel. Apparently there is one person who manages this and it has been crickets from him.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 11:13 am

We were well pleased with our two night stay at the Dar es Salaam Hyatt. It was much grander than I expected, a focal point in the city. I saw few tourists. Most guests appeared to be African business people. We were told that business is back at the hotel post Covid. Occupancy ran 80% this past month. I used a suite upgrade for our stay and was upgraded beyond it to their top suite, the Kilimanjaro Suite. This suite has been used by Clinton, both Bill and Hilary, Obama and Bush. It is a massive suite meant for dignitaries. We got our steps in moving from one area to another. We had a wonderful view over the water from the living room. We really enjoyed our treatment as globalists. We were sent a large bowl of assorted fruit as well as a bag of roasted cashews. We don't drink alcohol, so they gave my husband iced tea.

The hotel has several restaurants. We enjoyed the Oriental Room with its Thai food. They appeared to be doing great business with sushi. We also enjoyed the outdoor cafe. It has a beautiful setting under trees. We had lunch and a bbq dinner there, offered on Friday nights. They have a Swahili dinner on Saturday night. The Regency Club opens into this outdoor cafe area and has a small section private to the club guests. The Club serves appetizers from 6 to 8pm. They were nice with 2 cold dishes and one hot dishes; also an array of delicious desserts. The lounge was not well used the two nights we were inhouse so it's nice they offer it. We had breakfast in their ground floor restaurant. They had a fresh coconut stand, a very nice touch.

I had a massage in their spa. It was superb.

We used their car service both to and from the hotel and for a half day of activities in Dar. The concierge encouraged us to get local currency as we would find taxis less expensive. My husband had no success at 5 ATMS within walking distance of the hotel. They would not accept our Bank of America card.

We needed a Covid test to enter Qatar, our next stop. The concierge had a doctor waiting when we walked in the door. The procedure was quickly done and we had results the following morning.

We stayed at the Zanzibar Park Hyatt at the start of our trip and the Dar es Salaam Hyatt at the end. Thus, we did not take the ferry to or from Zanzibar.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:01 am

SanDiego1K Thanks for your report on HR! Curious if on this trip you did any Safari activities? Or was your trip to Tanzania mainly to visit PH Zanzibar? Considering a trip to Africa this summer and looking at Tanzania and other spots where Hyatt has a footprint... Thank you!
Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by madderlake
SanDiego1K Thanks for your report on HR! Curious if on this trip you did any Safari activities? Or was your trip to Tanzania mainly to visit PH Zanzibar? Considering a trip to Africa this summer and looking at Tanzania and other spots where Hyatt has a footprint... Thank you!
Park Hyatt Zanzibar and Hyatt Dar bracketed our safari. We had been to Tanzania and Kenya on safari 15 years or so ago. This trip, we stayed within Tanzania.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.