Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Diamond or Marriott Platinum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2011, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

I am currently a Marriott platinum and have enjoyed it. I am considering switching to Hyatt since my business plans now seem to work well with Hyatt. However, the current promotion is not extremely appealing (5000 points for 3 stays).

How does Hyatt diamond compare to Marriott Platinum? I tend to prefer Hyatt resorts over Marriott but both do have nice properties.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 3:22 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I am a Marriott Platinum Premier and a Hyatt Diamond, and I truly feel that the Marriott program is worthless. Other than increased point earnings and lounge access there is not much benefit for having status.

Yes, you get access to lounges, but most of the hotels that have lounges are closed on the weekends and non-existant at resorts. Yes, you get free continental breakfast, but this again resorts are excluded and so are courtyards and the other express brands. Late checkout is a nice benefit, but again resorts are excluded. Upgrades are a joke; mostly because Marriott properties have very few suites or suite-like rooms.

Notice a trend here? When I am earning my status on business trips these are things I don't care about. When I am trying to enjoy my status, traveling with my fiance on the weekends, usually at resort properties, the benefits go out the window. Plus given the enormous amount of Marriott properties elite's are a dime a dozen and properties generally don't care to go above and beyond.

On the other hand, I find Hyatt to be great. They have less properties, but the high end properties blow Marriott out of the water. The Park Hyatts are simply spectacular; The Andaz's are great; and I have truly enjoyed many (although not all) Grand Hyatts.

At properties without a lounge; Full Breakfast is included on every stay. At the Park Hyatt Chicago I had lobster eggs benedict two days in a row. At the Andaz 5th Ave, I had breakfast in bed. At the Andaz Wall Street we had an amazing brunch at Wall & Water. Breakfast experience at properties with a lounge can vary from property to property; but I was thoroughly impressed with the Grand Hyatt Sao Paulo on a recent stay.

Hyatt also offers confirmed suite upgrades (although annoyingly only on paid reservations), also offers late checkout (subject to availability at Resorts, but not specifically excluded like Marriott).

All in all I have been much, much happier with the way I have been treated as a Hyatt Diamond compared to a Marriott Platinum. Points do accumulate slower, and their promotions have been lackluster to say the least; but there is no comparison in the way they treat their elites and the quality of their properties.

PS-- The Chase Hyatt Credit card is great to accelerate point earnings if you have high revenue at Hyatt; but otherwise I think the Chase Sapphire Preferred; which earns 2 points/$1 on all travel and dining and can be transferred instantly to hyatt is a better bet.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:06 am

Programs: DL Diamond 4MM, Hyatt CC, Marriott PP/LT Plat, AA ExPlat, Amex Centurion
I agree with roder. Hyatt treats their elites substantially better than Marriott. Hyatt has been, and will continue to be, my first choice. I hit Platinum on Marriott because of credit card usage...and I have just not been that impressed.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, & PC
Being a Hyatt Diamond is simply just a better experience than Marriott. It is such a great feeling to walk into a Hyatt and be treated with respect and given upgrades and free breakfast just for walking in!
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
I agree with Roder's points in favor of Hyatt. I would also add that it's probably easier to earn Hyatt diamond status (25 stays) than Marriott Platinum status (75 nights, or 60 nights if you have a certain credit card). Also, Hyatt free breakfasts include the tip, but Marriott free breakfasts often don't.

However, I chose to drop Hyatt Diamond status for next year and try to retain Marriott Platinum (plus Starwood platinum). Here are the reasons...

1) Hyatt's promos have been relatively poor lately.

2) You can often get Marriott gift cards for about 20% off face value, but the Hyatt costco certs (20% off face value) seem to be a thing of the past.

3) Marriott offers 2-for-1 weekend night certs (except for this quarter...hopefully an anamoly), Hyatt doesn't.

4) There are many more Marriott properties than Hyatt properties, which gives me more choices (especially in my price range).

5) Marriott backs up more of their benefits with guarantees...you get cash if they fail to deliver.

Basically, in the places I tend to travel, Marriotts are about 30% cheaper for nearly the same thing. If I were much richer, or reimbursed for travel, I might have gone with Hyatt instead.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:18 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by BigE
I agree with Roder's points in favor of Hyatt. I would also add that it's probably easier to earn Hyatt diamond status (25 stays) than Marriott Platinum status (75 nights, or 60 nights if you have a certain credit card). Also, Hyatt free breakfasts include the tip, but Marriott free breakfasts often don't.

However, I chose to drop Hyatt Diamond status for next year and try to retain Marriott Platinum (plus Starwood platinum). Here are the reasons...

1) Hyatt's promos have been relatively poor lately.

2) You can often get Marriott gift cards for about 20% off face value, but the Hyatt costco certs (20% off face value) seem to be a thing of the past.

3) Marriott offers 2-for-1 weekend night certs (except for this quarter...hopefully an anamoly), Hyatt doesn't.

4) There are many more Marriott properties than Hyatt properties, which gives me more choices (especially in my price range).

5) Marriott backs up more of their benefits with guarantees...you get cash if they fail to deliver.

Basically, in the places I tend to travel, Marriotts are about 30% cheaper for nearly the same thing. If I were much richer, or reimbursed for travel, I might have gone with Hyatt instead.

I definitely agree with you that Marriott is generally cheaper than Hyatt and the scarcity of properties doesn't help. While I rarely utilized EEO offers, it was nice to know they were there if i needed them.

The gift cards are definitely a huge plus if you can utilize them, and I do sorely miss having the Costco Certs for Hyatt. I was racking up quite the spend at Costco. The promotions have also been lackluster which I also agree has been disappointing.

But I value the status and the Hyatt points because I know I will be taken care of properly. For example, I have an upcoming trip where we will be staying at the Park Hyatt Buenos Aires and the JW Marriott Rio Copacabana (both points res). While I have no doubt in my mind I will have an amazing stay at the Park Hyatt, with a large beautiful room in one of the world's top 25 hotels with free gourmet breakfast daily, I'm not really confident about the JW. Given the time of year I am going (New Years) and comments I have seen on the internet (FT, TA), I think I may be stuck in an Atrium view room clawing to get to the buffet in the club lounge. (And I'm a Plat Premier!!)

Therefore going forward for me, I'm just going to go for Marriott Gold. It gives you all the benefits of Platinum, with the exception of the additional 2.5 pts/dollar. With the 15 nights/year from the Premier Chase Marriott + nights from spending; I only really need to maintain about 30 nights/year at Marriott to maintain Gold (Timed with an appropriate MegaBonus, of course!) And that's 25 extra nights to go stay and chase status at Hyatt and/or Starwood.

Also, Hyatt does Guarantee the bed/room type and backs it up with points, not cash (5000 for Full Service properties or 2500 otherwise). Hyatt also guarantees Lounge Access with a 2500 point bonus if the lounge is closed or at capacity during you stay, plus a full free breakfast daily. Properties without lounges also guarantee full free breakfast. Whereas Marriott only guarantees lounge access or free continental breakfast on weekdays at full service, non-resort properties.

Last edited by roder; Oct 14, 2011 at 12:31 am
Old Oct 14, 2011, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
Yes, the drop from Marriott Plat to Gold (still get lounge access) isn't nearly as steep as the drop from Hyatt Diamond to Hyatt Platinum (where you lose lounge access and suite upgrades). So Marriott Gold + Hyatt Diamond (roder in 2012) >> Marriott Plat and Hyatt Platinumm (me in 2012).

While it's certainly true that many Marriotts don't give free breakfast on weekends, and that's a big plus for Hyatt, the Marriott EEO cert helps to make up for that (once per quarter, in theory). Plus, many Marriotts and Renaissance give the free breakfast voluntarily (this is especially true internationally)...I would guess about 25%... and some lounges are open on weekends. With Marriott you have to call to find out, whereas with Hyatt you can just show up because you're covered. The lack of any breakfast at most domestic Courtyard's is also a real bummer (note that many international courtyards give free breakfast...about half in my experience), and many elites refuse to stay there for that reason (unless the price difference more than makes up for it).

My summary is that if Hyatt and Marriott were priced similarly, I'd definitely go with Hyatt. But I save more than enough money with Marriott to make up for a lost breakfast/lounge here and there.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
"While it's certainly true that many Marriotts don't give free breakfast on weekends, and that's a big plus for Hyatt, the Marriott EEO cert helps to make up for that (once per quarter, in theory)."
The EEO's have not been quarterly for a few years. It became a trimester and the gaps between validity dates kept growin and growing while the list of excluded properties kept growing as well.
But now, Ed French in his wisdom has pulled this benefit from under our feet-with NO advance warning! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17149516-post189.html
Marriott just might be the worst guest loyalty program out there right now.

After 7 years of being a Marriott customer I am done with them.
Hyatt is now getting the nights Marriott used to get.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
The EEO's have not been quarterly for a few years. It became a trimester and the gaps between validity dates kept growin and growing while the list of excluded properties kept growing as well.
But now, Ed French in his wisdom has pulled this benefit from under our feet-with NO advance warning! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17149516-post189.html
Marriott just might be the worst guest loyalty program out there right now.

After 7 years of being a Marriott customer I am done with them.
Hyatt is now getting the nights Marriott used to get.
I was also annoyed by the lack of EEOs this quarter. But they did imply that they'd be back in 2012 in some form (perhaps limited to one use per quarter).

Why exactly do you think Marriott is the worst? It can't be just because of the lack of EEOs this quarter (however annoying), since none of the other chains have them. In fact, it's still a point in favor of Marriott since they probably will have them next year, but the other chains probably will not.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 5:44 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
I am Marriott LT Plat and have been Hyatt Diamond for the past 5 years or so. IMO you cannot compare the two in general terms, you have to consider your personal/business travel needs to make the best decision.

Without completely rehashing all that has been said|
Marriott has the most properties, generally insuring you can find one in your price range, wherever it is you need to be. Consistency defines this program - promo's rarely change, hotels offering above average bennies are rare, low end properties are maintained well and understand the Rewards program, etc. Credit card delivers better benefits, and program offers Lifetime status at all levels. Not a lot of excitement, but generally well delivered product.

Hyatt has the best service, more luxurious hotels, with a larger variety and more unique aspects among properties. Rates are not always competitive, and
there are a lot fewer properties, significantly limiting choices. Credit card program is not strong, and website is terrible. BUT - the properties themselves, especially the resorts, are generally more pleasing than Marriott. I keep Diamond status solely for vacations and resort weekends, and we are always happy with the properties.

I agree with others - as neither program is perfect - hit Gold with Marriott and Diamond with Hyatt and you will have the bennies of both to enjoy as needed.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
My stay Friday night at a Summerfield Suite proves my decission to finally divorce Marriott was the right one.At check in I was asked-without my prompting-if I would I would like a 4 p.m. checkout(a fairly new Diamond benefit)my status was recognized,my name was used and I was called after I got in my room by the front desk to ask if I was happy with my(upgraded)room.

NONE of this ever happened when I was staying at a limited service Marriott! I always had to play a game where you BEG for a late check out an hour later than you really need it("Hi can I get a three o'clock check out?""I can give you a 2 o'clock check out").And recognition of customer loyalty or the use of my name was such a rarity at Marriott LS properties that I was suprised when it did happen.

Add to this the horrible training Marriott provides FDR's regarding dealing with Elite guests and the totall lack of respect for customers Marriott International has shown for their best customers over the years(this was not the first time Marriott made changes to the Marriott Rewards program with no advance notice)and I know I have made the right choice in abandoning Marriott until they fire Ed French and restore Marriott Rewards to the once proud place it held as the finest Frequent Guest Program in the industry.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 1:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I'm going to have to disagree regarding Marriott. I have never had to beg for a 2 pm checkout, with the exception of the Marriott World Center in Orlando. For me, Marriott has more lax cancellation terms, often has cheaper rates and greater property selection. Marriott usually charges less for food at FS properties than Hyatt. It may not matter if you are on an expense account, but I pay for all of my travel. I also like the fact that Marriott gives points for the entire meal at FS properties whereas Hyatt does not give points for the tax and tip.

The upside for Hyatt is that they give points for incidental spending at limited service properties, which Marriott does not offer. Hyatt also does not have properties that earn award points at half the rate of the majority of their brands.

Hyatt provides better benefits, but I am not paying an extra 50 % for the free breakfast when they sell out their rooms on certain weekends. Marriott's guaranteed room for platinum members is a better benefit since they do not automatically mark up the price of rooms to rack rate like Hyatt does.

I have only had one frustrating problem with Hyatt, but it shows where they are not as good as Marriott. I had to cancel a reservation past the cancellation deadline due to a snowstorm in December 2009 (the big one that came through right before Christmas). I was promised a refund of my no show fee, but it took six calls to actually get the refund because people were out for the holidays and I could not reach anyone with the authority to authorize the refund.

That was BS, and I will not make a reservation with an unknown Hyatt property if I need to cancel for a good reason. It is not worth the aggravation when I only need to make one call to Marriott reservations, and they can contact the property and get me a refund.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 2:43 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by VA1379
For me, Marriott has more lax cancellation terms,
+1

I see MANY + for both...here is how I stack 'em up:

Hyatt +
FREE BREAKFAST-EVERYWHERE-resorts, full service, EVERYWHERE!
Passport escape-I get a zillion points a year, love to be able to get free meals with points
Lounge offerings-generally superior to Marriott (YMMV)

Marriott+
usually 24 hour cancellations
TRAVEL PACKAGES-again, collecting a zillion points a year I lvoe to be able to use them for airline points-cheaply too
$1000 elite giftcard w/points +++++
LOUNGES-I like free water-bugs me why Hyatt doesnt offer water free for diamonds????!!!???
to me, a "more consistent" service delivery...YMMV (mostly NA/SA/UK)
A realistic lifetime program-nice to know when (if? ) I stop this madness of work travel I will never fall below platinum

Putting all of this together, I split my stays 65%MR, 25%HY, 10%SPG. I maintain PlatPrem, Diamond, Plat, and am a lifetime Marriott Plat.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 7:19 pm
AMA

In my experience(several years ago):

Hyatt = better
Marriott = more locations

Do the math; depends upon where you're headed...
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:29 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
If you're not on the company dime and are a leisure traveler--forget Marriott. Hyatt is by far my preferred choice--followed by Hilton. I'm currently Marriott Platinum/Hyatt Diamond/Hilton Gold--however I was Hilton Diamond. Just my opinion as a 90% leisure traveler. Best of luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.