Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Any experiences with people who wear their gym clothes to Club Lounge after workout?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any experiences with people who wear their gym clothes to Club Lounge after workout?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2011, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

I was enjoying a nice morning breakfast at a club lounge and a couple came, set a table beside me with their gym clothes right after their workout.

After 10 minutes, I couldn't bear their sweat smell and move to another table.

Another time at another club lounge, a young man with his tight fitting shorts, sat a table across me. Not really the sight I want to see for my morning breakfast.

Anyone has this experience?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by GingerGalic
I was enjoying a nice morning breakfast at a club lounge and a couple came, set a table beside me with their gym clothes right after their workout.

Another time at another club lounge, a young man with his tight fitting shorts, sat a table across me. Not really the sight I want to see for my morning breakfast.

I've had people come into lounges after a work out and they didn't smell at not. Was ok with me. If they came in after a work out and smelled like ginger or garlic, it may bother me
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:27 pm

I think that the club concierge should refuse entry to the lounge in these cases. People should have the decency to shower and change their clothes before entering a lounge, restaurant, etc...

Room service is always an option if a guest wants to remain in dirty workout clothing.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:00 am

That's nasty if they just walk into the lounge and sit down and relax directly after a workout. Why would they want to sit around in their filth?

No shoes and just dirty socks and a wife beater are also
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:35 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Ambassador
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Nope, I've seen it in Europe as well
I've seen it in China as well, especially at the Shanghai PH.

I often wear my gym clothes to breakfast in tropical (beachy) destinations though- I think that's where its most acceptable.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Well, it's not often that I work out in the a.m. but if I do, I may stop in the lounge on my way back to my room to grab a water bottle and maybe a banana or bagel. But I usually won't stay there to eat. Am I a bad person?
Old Jan 8, 2011, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PLT Pro 1.9 MM, Hyatt-Explorer, Marriott-Gold, Super 8--Formica
Originally Posted by chanp
ginger or garlic
Possibly the fragrance replacing the White Ginger?
Old Jan 8, 2011, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
It is totally tacky and rude to go to the club after a workout, my god people are eating!!! I just spent 10 days at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco and on a couple occasions some old obese slob would come up dripping in sweat during the breakfast service. His shirt was drench in sweat and he would go though the buffet line "YUCK". I totally lost my appetite with this disgusting visualization during my breakfast!!!

I think there is a certain level of dress code, behavior and hygiene expected when your in a place where people are eating. This a Hyatt hotel, not a Mc Donald's. Of course there are different behaviors and dress that are fine at different establishments/locations, but walking in all sweaty is not one of them.

Last edited by Radiant Flyer; Jan 8, 2011 at 1:10 pm
Old Jan 8, 2011, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Originally Posted by GingerGalic

When I see such people I always ask the lounge staff if they could have the people to change clothes @:-)
Old Jan 8, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by Trustguy
Possibly the fragrance replacing the White Ginger?
LOL Could be!!
Old Jan 8, 2011, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL gold; UA - 1k; AA gold; Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; SPG gold; Groupon Falcon;
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Well, it's not often that I work out in the a.m. but if I do, I may stop in the lounge on my way back to my room to grab a water bottle and maybe a banana or bagel. But I usually won't stay there to eat. Am I a bad person?

I do not think so.

There are degrees to be considered here, including:

Is it a resort hotel or a business hotel?

Is it in the morning or the evening?

Is it a brief stop to grab something or is it a stop for a full meal?

I do wish guests would have enough sensibility about these things. Barring that, I think lounge staff should be encouraged by management to enforce a level of decorum which befits the nature of the property/time of day, etc.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by fireworksboy
I think it's ok to make a quick stop to pick up something on the way back to your room. To actually stop and get comfortable while you are still drenched in sweat is inconsiderate, in my opinion.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: plenty
Originally Posted by taipeiflyer
Oh please, the level of anti-American traveler bias is getting ridiculous. I find it far more offensive than someone showing up in a sweaty shirt. I would ask the mods to please issue a warning because americans seem to be blamed for everything that can possibly go wrong in a hotel. I know many Europeans who dress more Americanized than many of my American friends do, and a lack of manners is not just an American trait, it's a worldwide epidemic.
Well... it is not ONLY people from the US, and certainly not ALL Americans, who are concerned here... but obviously some nationalities have different standards and unpleasant and unconsiderate behaviour is more common in some places... Definitely, people in dirty gym clothes do not belong in a Club Lounge.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 5:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
Originally Posted by svajcarac
Well... it is not ONLY people from the US, and certainly not ALL Americans, who are concerned here... but obviously some nationalities have different standards and unpleasant and unconsiderate behaviour is more common in some places... Definitely, people in dirty gym clothes do not belong in a Club Lounge.
There is such a thing as eurotrash... I have experienced it on more than one occasion. Furthermore when using gyms in the US, I have witnessed far more people wipe down their equipment after use than in any other country. Some of the most unpleasant behavior I have ever experienced has been in your very own country (St. Moritz) during New Years celebration where your fellow Europeans displayed a level of manners that I would find offensive in third-world countries. Please stop thinking that Europe is the world capital of refinement... It is simply no longer true.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Are we talking about nationalities or gym clothes in lounges?

I think it's inappropriate to go to the lounge in gym clothes. If you do that, then yes it will make you a "bad" person in my eyes. The lounge attendants should enforce certain minimum standards (I personally have no problems with regular shorts).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.