Search

Hyatt in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2010, 8:58 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Hyatt in Hong Kong

I have a trip to Hong Kong planned next week as a stopover on the way to Vancouver, and noticed that there are 2 new Hyatt properties in the city - Hyatt Regency Sha Tin and Tsim Sha Tsui. I have stayed at the Grand Hyatt opposite the Convention Centre and while I found the view great from there, location was quite miserable in my opinion. I know the one at TST would have a great location, though I am interested in the Sha Tin one due to the much lower prices and interesting location.

Some question I have in mind are:
1) Is it very far out from the airport for the Sha Tin property and is it alright to take the red taxis to the Hyatt at Sha Tin since it's in New Territories?

2) Would staying one night each at Hyatt in TST and one night in Sha Tin count towards as 2 stays, suppose they are consecutive stays? Wondering if it will lead to the number of eligible stays towards getting higher tier GP status?

3) I noticed a shuttle service between the 2 properties, and would ask if guests need to pre-register beforehand for these shuttles or are they on a first come, first served basis?
Old Dec 18, 2010, 1:09 pm

Programs: LH HON,AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, and a few more
To answer question 2 yes it would count as two stays.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Wirelessly posted (MOT-Q9/01.09.28DR Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240) Opera 8.65)

The Shatin property is very new. Rooms are big. Service is very good. It is far away from city center but not too bad from airport. If you do not have too many luggages you have a good option to get from the airport to the hotel. First take the A41 airport express bus from the bus terminal next to the arrival hall of HKG. Get off the bus on its 3rd stop (Town center). Actually, you will be getting off at the bus terminal underneath the New Town Plaza mall. Then, take the escalater up to the mall level which is connected to the Shatin station of the MTR. You can then take the train two stations north to University station which is 2 minutes walk to the hotel. Since you have to change transportation mode and go up and down escaltors, it won't work if you have a lot of luggage.
BTW, you can get back to the airport by reversing the above route.

The Shatin & TST shuttle bus will require you to show you hotel room key. I am sure if you are moving between the hotels they would let you take the shuttle.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 9:31 pm

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by quirrow
1) Is it very far out from the airport for the Sha Tin property and is it alright to take the red taxis to the Hyatt at Sha Tin since it's in New Territories?
Red taxis (urban) are permitted to go to all parts of Hong Kong, including Sha Tin. The other two (green and blue) have limitations but note that green taxis are not allowed to operate legally in Sha Tin (although they are classified as 'New Territories taxis').

www.td.gov.hk
Old Dec 19, 2010, 12:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
First come first served basis for the shuttles. They're a very good way of getting to/ from ShaTin. I never had to show my room key but have yours handy just in case.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
I'd advise against relying on the shuttle service. It operates every few hours and if you miss it, you're going to have to take a cab (around $120HK each way). Its a great new hotel but 'out' there in terms of having the classic HK bustling and busy lifestyle.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by silver-tls
I'd advise against relying on the shuttle service. It operates every few hours and if you miss it, you're going to have to take a cab (around $120HK each way). Its a great new hotel but 'out' there in terms of having the classic HK bustling and busy lifestyle.
You don't exactly have to take a taxi. You can take the MTR from East Tsim Sha Tsui or Tsim Sha Tsui stations to University station in 26 minutes and it costs 8.5HKD for a single ticket.

www.mtr.com.hk/jplanner/eng/planner_index.php
Old Dec 21, 2010, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by toyotaboy95
You don't exactly have to take a taxi. You can take the MTR from East Tsim Sha Tsui or Tsim Sha Tsui stations to University station in 26 minutes and it costs 8.5HKD for a single ticket.

www.mtr.com.hk/jplanner/eng/planner_index.php
I stayed out at Sha Tim for a night and found it very easy and cheap to get to on the MTR. Very nice views, you'd hardly know you're in bustling Hong Kong. As I Diamond received a very large suite and Club access, though don't expect the suite upgrade as I suspect it was a fluke or good will gesture. The property was pretty deserted. As noted, the shuttle runs to/from the city three times a day, so don't rely on it unless your own plans coincide with the timings. This is a good, inexpensive alternative to the other two Hyatts in Hong Kong.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 8:58 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Stayed at Hyatt Sha Tin for a week over T-giving this year.

Red taxis from the airport - you can save a little by taking a green taxi going back to the airport. About 40 minutes each way and cost about 250 HKD
Old Dec 22, 2010, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by work2fly
Stayed at Hyatt Sha Tin for a week over T-giving this year.

Red taxis from the airport - you can save a little by taking a green taxi going back to the airport. About 40 minutes each way and cost about 250 HKD
That's illegal. Only red taxis are permitted to transport customers between Sha Tin and the Airport (are you thinking of Tai Po where green taxis are allowed?) while it usually takes 20-30 minutes at ~250HKD.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 9:31 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by toyotaboy95
That's illegal. Only red taxis are permitted to transport customers between Sha Tin and the Airport (are you thinking of Tai Po where green taxis are allowed?) while it usually takes 20-30 minutes at ~250HKD.
The doorman at the Sha Tin put us into a green taxi for our trip back to the airport. Didn't know it was illegal.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I have read on here many times that guests comment that the GH HK is in a bad location, I really dont get this....

If you walk out the "back door" on the 2nd level, you are at the entrance to the convention centre. you simply cross the entrance, enter the walkway that passes by the Rennaisance Harbour View hotel, and you are in central Wanchai with all the bars and a mainline Metro station.

The walk is even covered so you dont get wet ....
Old Dec 22, 2010, 9:37 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Ambassador
i agree. i find the location very convenient and easily walkable.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:57 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, QFF WP, Velocity Gold
@backdoor entrace for GH: Damn! Didn't know about it. We always used the front door to walk out. Haha. That makes it a lot easier!

@illegal doorman: ILLEGAL DOORMAN!
Old Dec 23, 2010, 1:29 am

Doesn't it depend on exactly where the hotel is in Sha Tin (for taxi type)?

http://www.td.gov.hk/en/transport_in..._/index_t.html

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Dec 23, 2010 at 1:34 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.