Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Diamond breakfast - you WILL have the buffet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2010, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR

Stayed at the HR Orange County recently and was presented with breakfast coupons as a diamond (they have no club lounge). Was initially told by the restaurant server that I could have the buffet or order a la carte. She later corrected herself to specify buffet only with the coupon.

Not a major deal, especially the buffet was pricier than any given a la carte item. My question is, is this typical and are the rules determined by the individual hotel or Hyatt overall, domestic or worldwide....?
Old Jul 10, 2010, 7:19 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
It's been different at almost every property -- some have dollar limits, some have weird rules about whether it does or does not include tax and tip, some include exactly one beverage and one main course per guest -- it just pays to clarify before ordering.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 8:07 pm

It just seems ridiculous that some properties will go out of their way to anger their most loyal customers.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 8:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
I guess it's all different from each property, I stayed at irvine yesterday, and ordered two from the menu, 2 coffee, and 2 orange juice, but I was told that I went over my limit? and I have to pay for my coffee. I didn't have any problem at santa clara or Aviara, but Irvine had their limit on their diamond breakfast. It seems like each propoerty have different limit that you can spent on diamond breakfast.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by tinnub
It just seems ridiculous that some properties will go out of their way to anger their most loyal customers.
I don't see this as something that gets me angry...it's a free breakfast one way or another...I'm happy to get it.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 12:18 am

This hotel goes out of their way to take care of Diamonds. The cert includes the tip and Diamonds get a suite upgrade on most stays.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 12:36 am
Community Director Emerita

Hyatt is the most generous chain in regards to breakfast (and many other benefits for diamonds). I can't imagine being upset because the policy is interpreted more liberally at some hotels than others. I'm facing an upcoming European trip where most of my stays will not be at Hyatts. I'll be dropping some serious coin if I want to have breakfast.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by bbbb
This hotel goes out of their way to take care of Diamonds. The cert includes the tip and Diamonds get a suite upgrade on most stays.
It was nice that gratuity was included!

No room upgrade for me as I'd already booked a suite during a half off suites promo...
Old Jul 11, 2010, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Hyatt is the most generous chain in regards to breakfast (and many other benefits for diamonds). I can't imagine being upset because the policy is interpreted more liberally at some hotels than others. I'm facing an upcoming European trip where most of my stays will not be at Hyatts. I'll be dropping some serious coin if I want to have breakfast.
+1.

Wife and I stayed at PH Vendome about a year and a half ago...that breakfast was killer...and pricey! Thankfully we didn't pay for it! Was nice to have a hearty breakfast, then eat at cafes for a light lunch before tearing at your bank account for for dinner!
Old Jul 11, 2010, 8:22 am

I assume you said it in jest.

Hyatt's generous breakfast policy for Diamonds never anger me. In fact, many years ago, prior to these elite schemes and policies being common, we happily paid for expensive breakfast at top hotels. (Even Hyatt's *full* breakfast for Diamonds is as new as 1.5 or so years ago). Today, when we are not at Hyatt or when breakfast is not included in a rate such as for Centurion Amex, I find myself not accustomed to them!

Hyatt does spoil us.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 10:26 am

What I would like to see is uniform application of the benefit, or rather, uniform clarification, so that it doesn't not "pay to check" ahead of time. You should never have to be wondering what is or is not included.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 10:28 am
Community Director Emerita

In the hotel world, when we ask for consistency, it usually means that the chain will chose the lowest common denominator. I'm happy that many give more than absolutely required, and wouldn't want that taken away. I would like any specific property to know their policy so that I am told the same thing irrespective of employee queried. Other than that, it's minimal effort to determine what is and what is not included for breakfast.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Hyatt is the most generous chain in regards to breakfast (and many other benefits for diamonds).
Park Hyatt Buenos Aires - no lounge so it's a eat as much as you want from the buffet or the main menu. Very generous compared to some lounge breakfasts I've had in other hotel chains.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 10:51 am
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
The policy certainly varies with the property. As for Orange County, I stayed there 10 days ago and had no trouble ordering off the meau for breakfast -- I had some issues there with dinner, but breakfast was fine. They apologized when they could not upgrade my room.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 11:28 am

Programs: MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM ELITE, HYATT LIFETIME GLOBALIST, UAL SILVER, AA EXECUTIVE PLATINUM
Orange County / Garden Grove

This property built their new restaurant way too small to be offering free breakfast on most every stay package. The line was snaked around the corner and they would not accept a reservation.

The front desk was kind enough to comp room service or we would have eaten at McD's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.