Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Unbound Collection Santa Barbara (MarMonte) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unbound Collection Santa Barbara (MarMonte) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by musikdude
I just tried to book a Fri/Sat (2 night) stay for a weekend in August with points. Would not let me book online but instead I was "forced" to book a Fri/Sat/Sun (3 night) stay and that worked. I only wanted the 2 nights and they seem to be available via a paid stay on the dates I wanted. What gives?
Can they make me have a 3 night minimum stay on a points stay?
Can't I just now call GP and take off the one night I do not want from my reservation??
Some properties do this to make it seem like there isn't award availability from time to time (Maui, PH Vendome). I've never had a problem removing nights from an award reservation by calling GP.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Update on Renovations:

Permitting process has taken much longer than expected (and not completely approved yet), but they hope to be starting on major renovations shortly with projected finish by late spring. So far, they've upgraded the noisy east wing elevator and replaced some of the roof tiles. They will be "Hyattizing" the rooms (tv's, Grand Beds, etc.) and doing major lobby and pool area upgrades. They'll be building just 3 suites - so probably not available for upgrade certs.

Last edited by jumpdogjump; Jan 20, 2011 at 4:31 pm
Old Jan 20, 2011, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They run ads on our local LA AM radiostation advertising weekend retreats. Perhaps they should finish the renovations first...
Old Jan 20, 2011, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by jumpdogjump
..."Hyattizing"...
Nice verb for this board, and very nice to hear, because it doesn't feel like a Hyatt just yet. On the other hand, I'm vulnerable to challenge, as there have been many Hyatts that were this different in the days before today's more standard Hyatt amenities, as noted by ace scout jumpdogjump.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 7:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Had a pleasant, one-night stay here this weekend. Hotel seemed largely vacant and it looked like we had the place mostly to ourselves. We were upgraded to an ocean view room (No. 252) as part of the Diamond upgrade...reasonably sized room with good amenities. The microwave seemed a bit out of place, but we really appreciated the non-Portico amenities ^ (They had Oxygen toiletries). Diamond breakfast was for $42 per room + 15% in gratuities and taxes...ours came out to ~$51 overall for in-room dining. The final bill still showed $22 in breakfast charges (presumably because my reservation probably said 1 person) but was taken off promptly when I pointed it out. Staff overall were friendly although we didnt have much interaction with them. The hotel grounds are nice and the location is quite sweet as well. Certainly a nice getaway close to home for us...the views are definitely not as great as the views from the Highlands Inn, one of our other favorite properties in Cal...but at one-fourth the rates, I am not complaining! Will definitely plan a return in the future.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Make that "Hotel Mar Monte, Managed by Hyatt"

"Santa Clara building, spa, pool and lobby are closed for renovations," the reservationists are quick to point out at every call. But the lobby is open.

Nevermind. The lobby is being prepared to close right now. BTW, this business center is a computer with printer.

Reception will be in the fitness center, just across the parking lot from the lobby "for a month or so".

And for those who have an issue with this hotel being right across from a Motel 6, . Remember, that's "Motel 6 #1", their original and flagship! It's actually the best looking that I've ever seen. And right now is probably the only time in years that you can stay in it for < $110. (No, I'm not! Just sayin'...) Now, back to regular programming.

Last edited by Firewind; Mar 1, 2011 at 10:41 am
Old Feb 28, 2011, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
I'm going to give you all some advice as I am here now! DO NOT STAY HERE! The construction is so bad that you won't enjoy yourself.

When I checked in last night, I was told the construction was limited to the main building and I should not have a problem. I was awaken at 7 a.m. with loud tools right outside my door. There was a note saying today is day one of refurbishing the elevator in my building. The elevator is right next to my room.

The room is beautiful and huge. I did receive an ocean view upgrade and have no complaints there. My complaint is I feel like the person who checked me in deceived me. I like my sleep, and I would have taken a view of the dumpster over ocean view had I known this was going to happen. I told her to get me the quietest room she had but I think for today at least I got the noisiest.

Through April I think this will be par for the course for this property. So if you are coming to Santa Barbara through the week and don't want construction hassle, you might want to look elsewhere.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 2:34 pm

Sorry, but I forget the most recent reading of the rule... Are we due the Closed/No Regency Club lounge points here? And I forgot to ask if one is planned. And, BTW, the front desk people seemed up to speed re Diamond privileges. (And, along with all Hyatt receptionists I've encountered lately, they verbally assumed I'd like the 2pm checkout.)
Old Mar 1, 2011, 2:04 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Diamond Suite Upgrade certs may not be used at this property.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:25 am

Programs: spg starwood -platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I was back to this property last week (stayed there last Monday night). I had no problems at all. I received an ocean front room in the same building I always stay in. The breakfast via room service was spectacular and the hotel was nice enough to allow me a 3:30 p.m. checkout as I had something to do the next day until that time. And, the rate was pretty good at around $143 if I recall correctly.

Only (minor) complaint ... no G1, 2 or 3 bonus, not to mention any points for a regency club lounge not existing. So, this is certainly not a "mattress run" hotel (at this point).
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by theguyfromsocal
...not to mention any points for a regency club lounge not existing...
Have you confirmed this? Not meant to be a challenge. I'm just still wondering.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Firewind
Have you confirmed this? Not meant to be a challenge. I'm just still wondering.
Yup, definitely no points. The 2500 points are awarded only if the property has a club lounge and access to that is temporarily denied (e.g. because of closure over the weekend).
Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:18 am

Thanks. As I said above, I've forgotten the current scope.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:42 am

Programs: spg starwood -platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Another Nice Stay At The Mar Monte

I spent an evening there this past week. Construction underway and front desk relocated to the workout room. But, a problem free stay as usual... great courtesy diamond upgrade and a fabulous breakfast; not to mention a decent $134/night rate (and a problem-free bill/checkout). I want to give "shout out" to Allison at the front desk. A recent graduate of UCSB and a sharp young lady!!
Old May 13, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Any recent experiences? According to the website the renovation is supposed to be done next weekend. The prices are through the roof for the foreseeable future so I'm trying to understand why.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.