Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

HR Curacao Resort REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - NO LONGER HYATT (Independent)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HR Curacao Resort REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - NO LONGER HYATT (Independent)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2010, 7:07 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
$100 Resort Credit Per Night at HR Curacao

Just received this e mail from Hyatt:
EXPERIENCE THE NEW HYATT REGENCY CURACAO
AND ENJOY A USD$100 PER NIGHT RESORT CREDIT

Escape the holiday crowds and unpredictable weather at the new Hyatt Regency Curacao Golf Resort, Spa and Marina. Book a private diving excursion, tee off alongside the Caribbean, or indulge in a locally inspired spa treatment. Then toast to a new tradition over a gourmet meal with views of the sea.

As our gift to you, receive a USD$100 Resort Credit for every night of your stay through Your credit can be applied to an array of resort experiences during your stay, from private tennis lessons to poolside cocktails at SWIM Pool and Bar Grill to a rejuvenating spa treatment in the 4,500 square foot Atabei Spa. Offer Code 1004U .

Checking the T/C--Offer valid November 20, 2010 to January 10, 2011, at Hyatt Regency Curacao. Reservations are subject to availability and must be made in advance. Offer not valid for groups or conventions and may not be combined with other promotions. Guest must request Offer Code 1004U at time of reservation and pay the rack rate. Offer is valid for up to USD$100 credit for property outlets and select incidental charges.

Seems OK, except for the RACK RATE part, although checking the website Hyatt is offering some decent opening special prices.

Last edited by mauld; Oct 30, 2010 at 7:18 am
Old Jan 7, 2011, 8:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
wonderful resort stay

Had a very nice stay the week before Christmas. Occupancy was low (maybe 40%) and the resort was quiet. Service was top notch at every level.

Check-in included welcome drink (Curacao liquor) and acknowledgment of Diamond. Was upgraded to a Jr Suite which consisted of two equally sized rooms (door between), both of which had full baths. One of the rooms was set up with a sofa, chairs, and wet bar. Both rooms had balconies with ocean views, but you could not walk between the two without going inside.

Chose Diamond food and drink amenity. From several options selected the wine and cheese (3 goudas of different ages) -- a delicious treat. Ate at the two primary restaurants Medi and Shore. Both were good. Had tapas several times at Medi. They were reasonably priced and quite filling. The food at Shore was a notch up in quality, but still not out of line in price. Had buffet breakfast each morning with an excellent spread of options, including an omelette bar.

Rented a car and drove with my companion to the resort from the airport. Provided directions are good, but it is helpful to have an extra eye on the map.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:12 pm

Thumbs up Curacao Review

Hyatt Diamond member this past year - just started travelling for work in March and rang up about 55 nights so decided to head to Curacao with family for a week at the end of January.

Have been a member here for a while but never posted. Thought a first post as a review would be a good use of my first post, although I have had about 1000 opportunities to post in the Hyatt Website Not Working Thread over the past year!

Our first impression of Curacao resort was that it is quite impressive. Lots of tumbled limestone tiles. Only three storeys so no huge high rise feel to it.

As Diamond members we were treated well. I must admit that the business manager at my regular hotel contacted them prior to our arrival to ensure we were well looked after and we certainly were. It was almost too much attention but within reason and nice for my family to feel like royalty.

Breakfast buffet is sufficient with a rotating selction of items that by the end of the week started to grow tired but we still managed fine - included for our family of 4 based on prior arrangement - YMMV.

Other food is also quite good although there is some disparity between similar items based on where they are ordered. A burger by the pool is very different from a burger at the restaurant about 100 yards away and the room service burger is different again. Not that I eat alot of burgers but in a family of 4 they were ordered at all three places throughout the week and they were unpredictable in quality. Room service turned out to be the best one! The pool was the worst burger.

Pizza and gelato place was excellent - the pizza especially.

Internet was free. Took the 1000 points as a Diamond member.

Shor was one of our best meals in the last number of months both for ourselves and our kids.

The hotel is definitely remote so a car rental will be needed.

Here are some thoughts and comments that are meant to be constructive in case management is reading this:

There are no kids menus anywhere. They have items for kids but there are no menus. They also can make a good mac and cheese etc so while there are no kids menus, you can ask for kid type items - we just found it odd that at a resort they did not have these printed.

Nightly music can be very loud both from the lobby and from outdoor large group parties by the water. We had to call twice at around midnight as the music was much too loud to sleep.

The buffet did have trouble keeping up with the diners at breakfast. While we were there - there was also a large group although I would say the resort was only 65% occupancy, with this said, some items just never seemed to be replenished in a timely manner.

The beach is a true disappointment. Sandy yes, somewhere I would swim on an island that has incredible beaches - not a chance - but remember a car will be needed to go anywhere. Pools are also quite unimpressive although the chairs and beds by them are very nice. With so much room I am surprised they did not go more for the resort type meandering pool, etc.

It seemed to us that the hotel is still trying to figure out what it wants to be when it grows up. Either a family or couples type resort or a convention type property. Mixing the two creates problems for one or the other category at times although they ccan be mixed but the resort does not quite seem able to do it yet. (Running out of food, loud music from "outdoor private parties" as was explained to me on the phone near midnight - to which I responded that the loudness of the music made it seem much more like a public party and we were not invited, lack of kids menus even though they have Family Plan Rates and Camp Hyatt)

With all of that said, would we go back again - already booked for 10 days after Christmas. Absolutely loved it that much which just highlights that my points above are to be constructive opportunities for management to improve.

FYI, we paid for one room, used points for the other and a Diamond Suite upgrade to have a two bedroom suite with a living room in the middle. An amazing set up which we would love to have again (hint hint).

Any questions, please fire away.

Gary
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, CO Elite
Originally Posted by Hawt1
Hyatt Diamond member this past year - just started travelling for work in March and rang up about 55 nights so decided to head to Curacao with family for a week at the end of January.

Have been a member here for a while but never posted. Thought a first post as a review would be a good use of my first post, although I have had about 1000 opportunities to post in the Hyatt Website Not Working Thread over the past year!

Our first impression of Curacao resort was that it is quite impressive. Lots of tumbled limestone tiles. Only three storeys so no huge high rise feel to it.

As Diamond members we were treated well. I must admit that the business manager at my regular hotel contacted them prior to our arrival to ensure we were well looked after and we certainly were. It was almost too much attention but within reason and nice for my family to feel like royalty.

Breakfast buffet is sufficient with a rotating selction of items that by the end of the week started to grow tired but we still managed fine - included for our family of 4 based on prior arrangement - YMMV.

Other food is also quite good although there is some disparity between similar items based on where they are ordered. A burger by the pool is very different from a burger at the restaurant about 100 yards away and the room service burger is different again. Not that I eat alot of burgers but in a family of 4 they were ordered at all three places throughout the week and they were unpredictable in quality. Room service turned out to be the best one! The pool was the worst burger.

Pizza and gelato place was excellent - the pizza especially.

Internet was free. Took the 1000 points as a Diamond member.

Shor was one of our best meals in the last number of months both for ourselves and our kids.

The hotel is definitely remote so a car rental will be needed.

Here are some thoughts and comments that are meant to be constructive in case management is reading this:

There are no kids menus anywhere. They have items for kids but there are no menus. They also can make a good mac and cheese etc so while there are no kids menus, you can ask for kid type items - we just found it odd that at a resort they did not have these printed.

Nightly music can be very loud both from the lobby and from outdoor large group parties by the water. We had to call twice at around midnight as the music was much too loud to sleep.

The buffet did have trouble keeping up with the diners at breakfast. While we were there - there was also a large group although I would say the resort was only 65% occupancy, with this said, some items just never seemed to be replenished in a timely manner.

The beach is a true disappointment. Sandy yes, somewhere I would swim on an island that has incredible beaches - not a chance - but remember a car will be needed to go anywhere. Pools are also quite unimpressive although the chairs and beds by them are very nice. With so much room I am surprised they did not go more for the resort type meandering pool, etc.

It seemed to us that the hotel is still trying to figure out what it wants to be when it grows up. Either a family or couples type resort or a convention type property. Mixing the two creates problems for one or the other category at times although they ccan be mixed but the resort does not quite seem able to do it yet. (Running out of food, loud music from "outdoor private parties" as was explained to me on the phone near midnight - to which I responded that the loudness of the music made it seem much more like a public party and we were not invited, lack of kids menus even though they have Family Plan Rates and Camp Hyatt)

With all of that said, would we go back again - already booked for 10 days after Christmas. Absolutely loved it that much which just highlights that my points above are to be constructive opportunities for management to improve.

FYI, we paid for one room, used points for the other and a Diamond Suite upgrade to have a two bedroom suite with a living room in the middle. An amazing set up which we would love to have again (hint hint).

Any questions, please fire away.

Gary
If the beach is a disappointment and the pool unimpressive, what exactly did you enjoy?
Old Feb 26, 2011, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond
Originally Posted by hyattnjfan
If the beach is a disappointment and the pool unimpressive, what exactly did you enjoy?
I had the exact same reaction. For me when I travel to the Caribbean or Hawaii I would like a nice beach & pool, and the Hyatt Curacao's beach is in reality a harbor. I am glad to hear that the service might be improving although there are still many issues. It's a nice facility but too remote and doesn't really have any great oceanviews, IMHO. There are many nicer beach locations in Curacao--the Kura Hulanda Resort in Westpunt for example--so the lack of a good beach at the Hyatt Curacao is a deal breaker for me.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by hyattnjfan
We enjoyed nearly every meal we had there. We enjoyed being treated like a Diamond and almost every staff member knowing our name. We enjoyed what I would characterize as excellent service overall with the very odd rough patch.

We enjoyed driving to the many great beaches on the island (Porto Mari, Cas Aboa, etc) We would not put the one at Kura in the top rankings but to each their own.

We know our way around Curacao fairly well with this being our 4th time on the island and will take the remoteness of this hotel and its other drawbacks in stride and enjoy the lounges by the pool - the pools are nothing special like the Hawaii resorts but the water in them has pretty much the same ability to cool us off when we are hot.

We also enjoyed that a week here was only 105,000 points versus 50,000 more at most of the other Hyatt Resorts.

Gary
Old Mar 1, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: Delta Diamond/3MM; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC
Spring Break

I've been reading these reviews with great interest. I do think that getting a suite can make a big difference compared to getting a room with a view of the parking lot - it can certainly impact my mood.

I really appreciate , and I've certainly adjusted my expectations for the beach. We are getting a rental car and expect to explore the island. I think the best part of this will be separating my teenage daughters from their cell phones!

I'm taking my family there for Spring Break on 3/28 for 4 nights, and I think I have another family talked into joining us. I'll post my thoughts when I return.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:22 am

Programs: marriott platinum, intercontinental diamond
Pleasant stay

The good
Paid for stay. However this was off season (August) so rate was less than $200 a night all in.
Attractive resort.
Extremely pleasant staff from the top on down.
Suite upgrade (two rooms joined together with one made up like a living room), free breakfast and diamond recognition at checkin
Three problems were reported to management. Corrected quickly and received 15000 points.

The bad
Hotel is away from everything. 15+ minute drive to outside restaurants and island sites.
Small rocky beach
Three problems - room not made up one day, no turn down service one day and no wake up call one day. To some these would be serious. To us we were on vacation and were not seriously inconvenienced. Worst that happened was we received delayed maid service and we were given breakfast after the official hour.

Overall
Not our best island stay. Nevertheless, I recommend the hotel if the price is right.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:26 pm

Curacao ???

It's been a while since I've seen any new postings for this Hyatt location especially since it's the newest Caribbean resorts....
Just looking to see if someone's "lurking" that has more info regarding this property. We're staying in 2 weeks and would love to hear any "new" info as to what we may expect. We're prepared to rent a car since property is somewhat isolated and aware that pool is somewhat "utilitarian" compared to other Hyatt resorts (no waterslides). Just wondering if there's a location to request since we're a family of four, older teens and DH Diamond staying over both holidays, returning back to US on NY Day.
TIA
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by cmjaffe
It's been a while since I've seen any new postings for this Hyatt location especially since it's the newest Caribbean resorts....
Just looking to see if someone's "lurking" that has more info regarding this property. We're staying in 2 weeks and would love to hear any "new" info as to what we may expect. We're prepared to rent a car since property is somewhat isolated and aware that pool is somewhat "utilitarian" compared to other Hyatt resorts (no waterslides). Just wondering if there's a location to request since we're a family of four, older teens and DH Diamond staying over both holidays, returning back to US on NY Day.
TIA
I absolutely loved Curacao, I would recommend renting a car for sure and going around the Island... Visit the Ostrich Farm for sure and stay at different beaches around too for some good snorkeling and fishing and relaxation in Willemstead.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 7:24 pm

Programs: their are many of them
how is the golf course at this resort?
Old Jan 17, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Booked 2 dbl bed for up coming stay for 4. Is there a club lounge for Diamonds? If not, will breakfast be provided for 4? From what I read, there was no lounge when it first opened.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:23 am

No lounge but offered ample breakfast buffet. Made to order omlettes, assorted fresh juices and they are very accomodating for special dietary requests. Say "HI" to Octavio (mgr at Medi for AM) and Petrus (waiter) for us... they were THE BEST (stayed 9 nights over Xmas)
You can't go wrong with this Hyatt. Just make sure you have a car. It is a bit far from beaches though the tranquilty/point value of this resort made up for the drives took to sights. Planning on returning soon.
The treat Diamonds VERY WELL -- probably upgrade to jr suite if not going during high, peak time.... send request to Rebecka should take care of that.
PM me if you need additional info.
Carolyn
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:24 am

Golf Course

from what I heard it is challenging but what we saw it's beautiful.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Thank you Carolyn for the info. BTW - We are using points - will this apply?

"14% taxable service charge per room, per night will be assessed, in addition to a 7% occupancy tax. Customized meal plans are available exclusively through our Reservations Office. "

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.