Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Diamond Amenity: "The vast majority choose points." You?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond Amenity: "The vast majority choose points." You?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 650k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Question Diamond Amenity: "The vast majority choose points." You?

Just remembered I've been meaning to post this for a couple of months: I've been conducting an informal poll at FS Hyatts for a while, and keep hearing the above. Now to you.

I used to choose f&b if it was late at night and I was starving. But after a lot of disappointments - unchewable tortilla chips, or three slices of dried cheese, four inches of crackers and eight grapes, sometimes an hour after I'd checked in at midnight - and an inability to waste a bottle of wine, I always choose points.

You?

Last edited by Firewind; Jan 24, 2010 at 12:46 pm Reason: Completed title, reason for post
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
I wish they would extend the benefit of choosing points at all properties, not just the ones in NA. But when I can, I choose points.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 1:00 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Points in NA all the time.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 1:10 pm

Old Jan 24, 2010, 1:12 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Always points if there's an open Regency Club. With no RC, I sometimes choose F&B amenity over a lounge snack or room service, because the amenity doesn't incur tax, delivery charge or gratuity (the hotel pays the gratuity), and I can eat it in my room while doing other things. Also, you can usually substitute or add fixins for free (like bread with appetizers). Sometime, I'm going to try and order two food choices and no beverage choice.

With my wife along, we sometimes select the amenity and cart a wine bottle home, then visit the hotel restaurant or lounge for a decent meal.

Occasionally I end up with 1W too .

The unpredictable delay factor, and unknown food quality, can indeed be disincentives to choosing a F&B amenity.

Last edited by Explore; Jan 24, 2010 at 1:19 pm
Old Jan 24, 2010, 1:22 pm

Programs: United 1K - AA EXP - Avis CC - Hertz Plat - Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat
I have always picked the points
Old Jan 24, 2010, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I primarily choose the points domestically. Some exceptions are when I am starving or I am going to have to entertain in the room.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 650k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by GUWonder
...or I am going to have to entertain in the room.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 1:40 pm
Community Director Emerita

I almost always pick points. However, there are two properties where I will definitely look at the food amenity: PH Chicago and PH DC. I've had lovely cheese and cracker trays or chocolate dipped strawberries at PH Chicago. The French apple pie at the PH DC is awesome.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Firewind
.... not that kind of entertaining.

I'd rather not have to pay for the candies and nuts that would otherwise be taken.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 1:55 pm
Suspended

I would chose the points if I could. But as you know, there are no points in Europe
Old Jan 24, 2010, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Always points, since points are rarely cheap, stale, or poorly presented as the amenities so often are.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 3:06 pm
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
points for me too.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 3:11 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Points for me except for when (on the very rare occasion) that I have 2 rooms - then I'll take points for 1 room and the amenity for the 2nd room since double amenity points will never post.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA MM, DL MM
Against the trend

I always take the food & beverage amenity unless I arrive too late or depart too early to be able to utilize it. With all of the carry-on restrictions, the Ketel One option still works since it fits in the quart bag and the bottles are under 3 oz.

In contrast, I always take the points with SPG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.