Search

Best Hyatt in Florida

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2009, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, Hilton, Intercontinental
Best beach Hyatt in Florida?

Hello,

Could anyone recommend a nice beach Hyatt in Florida or nearby?
I see Coconut Point is popular, but that is not really good for swimming as the beach is some miles away.

Any advice is really welcome.

Thank you.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 4:52 pm

Programs: Mariott Plat, *wood Plat, Hyatt Diamond, United 1K
If you are looking for a nice place, I recommend Hotel Victor in south beach. It is a block (maybe less, you cross a street and you end up on the water) from the beach and two blocks from all of the nice restaurant and lounge areas so you can get the a great experience. However it is a bit pricey (Both point and $wise)
Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:33 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I agree with Victor - have not been to Key West - but other than Bonita, no other than Hyatt in Florida is anywhere really close with beach access.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:32 pm
Community Director Emerita

I stayed at the Hyatt Key West last December. It was on the water, but had no beach.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:08 pm

Hyatt regency Cypress - Orlando

The resort has a man made beach around a lake if that counts.

And you can see it at http://grandcypress.hyatt.com/hyatt/...kids/index.jsp
Old Jun 3, 2009, 2:47 am

+1 for the Victor.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Thank you, I will check out Hotel Victor.
Looking at Key West Resort, that has surely a beach or not?
Old Jun 3, 2009, 7:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Swimming on Big Hickory Island is possible and you get there from Coconut Point via a ferry which is operated hourly. There is a designated beach facing the Gulf directly. It is subject to massive erosion, but will be improved this year.

You can also swim on the 'land side' of Big Hickory Island, which is more or less facing the Hyatt a few miles away and is opposite of Doggy Beach.

If you are a good swimmer, you can also swimm across the pass to Lover's Key, but watch out for the currents and boats...

In any case, you will see dolphins passing by roughly about 50 metres away.

South Beach and the beach rental equipment by the Boucher Brothers is 100 meters away from the Victor. A stay there will get you a beach chair and cover, but not an umbrella. The Victor is too cheap to cover that and you have to pay for the umbrella, which is amazing considering rates of $ 400 and higher...

Swimming is more enjoyable in the Atlantic, but you cannot really swim easily, because the ocean is very shallow. Speaking of shallow waters, the pool at The Victor is 4-5 ft deep and warms up, so swimming there is not really enjoyable in summer, pools at Coconut are better, however some people are unnerved by the constant noise levels of the various waterfalls.

For a family vacation book Coconut, for an adult vacation go the South Beach ! Enjoy
Old Jun 3, 2009, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by FD1971
Swimming on Big Hickory Island is possible and you get there from Coconut Point via a ferry which is operated hourly. There is a designated beach facing the Gulf directly. It is subject to massive erosion, but will be improved this year.

You can also swim on the 'land side' of Big Hickory Island, which is more or less facing the Hyatt a few miles away and is opposite of Doggy Beach.

If you are a good swimmer, you can also swimm across the pass to Lover's Key, but watch out for the currents and boats...

In any case, you will see dolphins passing by roughly about 50 metres away.

South Beach and the beach rental equipment by the Boucher Brothers is 100 meters away from the Victor. A stay there will get you a beach chair and cover, but not an umbrella. The Victor is too cheap to cover that and you have to pay for the umbrella, which is amazing considering rates of $ 400 and higher...

Swimming is more enjoyable in the Atlantic, but you cannot really swim easily, because the ocean is very shallow. Speaking of shallow waters, the pool at The Victor is 4-5 ft deep and warms up, so swimming there is not really enjoyable in summer, pools at Coconut are better, however some people are unnerved by the constant noise levels of the various waterfalls.

For a family vacation book Coconut, for an adult vacation go the South Beach ! Enjoy
Having been to both places a few times...I find your advice to be spot on!^
Well said, totally agree!
Old Jun 3, 2009, 9:59 am
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
when are you going? The new hyatt at Clearwater looks pretty nice:

http://clearwaterbeach.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp

But it's not till December
Old Jun 3, 2009, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Thank you. Victor is the frontrunner.
Going in early September for a week.

Any more advice ofcourse is appreciated.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Michael1950
Thank you, I will check out Hotel Victor.
Looking at Key West Resort, that has surely a beach or not?
Hyatt Key West has has a quasi-beach. It's about a 15 feet wide small stretch of sand with a few loungers placed on it. And Hyatt seemed to keep it fairly clean it seemed compared to the straw/reed/seaweed messes that the other Key West beaches were. But I certainly wouldn't go there if I was looking for a "beach getaway"..................
Old Jun 4, 2009, 12:18 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gregorygrady
Hyatt Key West has has a quasi-beach. It's about a 15 feet wide small stretch of sand with a few loungers placed on it. And Hyatt seemed to keep it fairly clean it seemed compared to the straw/reed/seaweed messes that the other Key West beaches were. But I certainly wouldn't go there if I was looking for a "beach getaway"..................
The Hyatt does have a beach, but it's about as small as one could possibly imagine as greg points out.

That being said, if one wants a "beack getaway" I would suggest somewhere other than Key West, period, the beches there just aren't that good. If one insists, the Casa Marina is probably the best property, though they have a very narrow beach as I recall, and the Reach is okay, both are now Hilton properties.

Beckles
Key West High School Class of 1991
Old Jun 5, 2009, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Thank you.

Is the Hotel Victor city beach okay for swimming in late August, does anyone know?

Never been to Miami, not sure what to expect.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 10:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Back to Key West et al

The Fort Zachary Taylor Recreation Area beach was quite a bit better than I had remembered and is walkable (if long walkable) from the Key West hotel), and is fully OK (meaning it works but its not Hawaii) as beaches go. But, you go to Key West for the funkiness of the escape. I like it, Mrs. Jayer hates it, and I have to concede Duval Street has both gentrified and boozed up all at the same time (meaning I liked it better 10 years ago when it was more localish and people were not drinking at breakfast).

The thing at Coconut Point is the extensive pools; not the beach (although as stated its a good wading beach, and you can swim). Its still quiet enough you are almost out in the country, although commercial development is closer than it used to be. I love it when not full and avoid when it is, but some of the appeal is because I can walk into the Regency Club.

I have not been to the Victor because it never worked out; not for lack of trying. Based on friends visits to South Beach Mrs. Jayer has now declared it too hedonistic and does not really want to find out for herself. Sounds a bit like Key West on steroids, with a better beach closer but not right outside, and turbocharged nightlife. The latter is not what I look for at a beach or on a vacation.

Your post implies you want to spend a week but does not state an overriding goal, and I am inferring you are not from North America. If two or three days to forget reality and then move on to another hotel and do it again works for you, then all three have their good points I recommend the first two from experience. (But, in all cases the experience is built around the location, with the ocean in a supporting role). If its a classic week right on the beach with your toes in the sand and no moving around, then look at waiting for the Clearwater property being built, or even consider the Marco Island Marriott.

I have not been there in August, but August in Florida should be hot and warm water, because its the end of summer in North America. I'd be more worried about having trip insurance in case of a hurricane than being cold.

Last edited by jayer; Jun 5, 2009 at 11:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.