Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Can FFN award be upgraded by suite upgrade from Diamond status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2009, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Just curious. I know the FFN itself is supposed to be just standard room reservation.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 11:17 pm

Programs: *G, KLM Plat, Avis PC, SPG Plt, Hyt Plt
With the influx of newly minted diamond cards and the advent of FFN 09'-10'......this should be a popular question!

I spoke to the Diamond desk about upgrading an upcoming free night from last year's giveaway and they said I could upgrade any reservation as long as it was in my name.

But as always, YMMV
Old Oct 4, 2009, 11:36 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by ggcheckpointline53
With the influx of newly minted diamond cards and the advent of FFN 09'-10'......this should be a popular question!

I spoke to the Diamond desk about upgrading an upcoming free night from last year's giveaway and they said I could upgrade any reservation as long as it was in my name.

But as always, YMMV
That is technically wrong - only paid revenue stays are officially upgradable with the Diamond Suite Upgrade Certs.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 11:48 pm
Suspended

The OP was not clear what he was asking. Unless things have changed, there are 3 sorts of upgrades, I think.

1). Free Upgrades by asking at the desk -- If they wish to do so, go for it, but I don't think they are obligated, at all.

2). Guaranteed Suite Upgrade Certs -- no.

3). Upgrade using your GP points -- does this still exist? -- if so, I don't see why this would not obtain.

However, I think the OP was asking about # 2 and as Peter pointed out -- for the umpteenth time since it is clearly written in the rules of use for such upgrades -- NO!
Old Oct 5, 2009, 3:52 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Technically no, but some hotels are lenient on this if you ask them directly, at least it has happened to me in the past. But I would expect this to be the exception rather than the rule.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 4:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by attorney28
Technically no, but some hotels are lenient on this if you ask them directly, at least it has happened to me in the past. But I would expect this to be the exception rather than the rule.
That is my answer as well, although that was with paper upgrade certs (of which I fortunately still have some that are not yet expired). With electronic upgrades, it's not going to be anywhere near as easy unless Hyatt revises policy so as to allow them on award stays too (like Starwood sort of does).

About upgrades using GoldPassport points, those are also conditioned upon paying a regular rate; still, for an upgrade to a suite it required paying on of the higher category rates to get the upgrade using points. The Diamond upgrade (e)certs are less restricted in practical terms than those GP point upgrades to suites.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 5:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
About upgrades using GoldPassport points, those are also conditioned upon paying a regular rate; still, for an upgrade to a suite it required paying on of the higher category rates to get the upgrade using points. The Diamond upgrade (e)certs are less restricted in practical terms than those GP point upgrades to suites.
Thanks for the clarification, GU!
Old Oct 5, 2009, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

I did mean No.2. Oh, well, then maybe I should do the status match next year. All my scheduled stays with Hyatt will be FFN award.

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
The OP was not clear what he was asking. Unless things have changed, there are 3 sorts of upgrades, I think.

1). Free Upgrades by asking at the desk -- If they wish to do so, go for it, but I don't think they are obligated, at all.

2). Guaranteed Suite Upgrade Certs -- no.

3). Upgrade using your GP points -- does this still exist? -- if so, I don't see why this would not obtain.

However, I think the OP was asking about # 2 and as Peter pointed out -- for the umpteenth time since it is clearly written in the rules of use for such upgrades -- NO!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.