Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2013, 10:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by funtrainsf
Sadly only 3 nights. But I expect them to be 3 wonderful nights/days.
Wow.. I would have maxed it out as much as possible.

Did you check into whether you can upgrade into a suite with points? The cert is pretty valuable, I tend to do 5 night minimums with the certs, but understand sometimes stay credits need to be accumulated. But, your 3 nights are going to count toward 1 stay (that is if your objective is to qualify GP by stays).

Or were you wanting to stay longer but the availability wasn't there?
Old Sep 7, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: AA (EXP), HH (Diamond), SPG (Platinum), HGP (Diamond), National Car (Exec Elite)
That's the only length of time I have available at the hotel on this trip. I have 3 upgrade certs that all expire early next year with no vision of usage necessary for the rest of the year.

They did offer me to use points to upgrade, but at a higher room rate.

I don't have any 5-day vacations coming up prior to expiration.

Don't need the stay credit or nights since already qualified for Diamond through 2/15.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 10:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by funtrainsf
That's the only length of time I have available at the hotel on this trip. I have 3 upgrade certs that all expire early next year with no vision of usage necessary for the rest of the year.

They did offer me to use points to upgrade, but at a higher room rate.

I don't have any 5-day vacations coming up prior to expiration.

Don't need the stay credit or nights since already qualified for Diamond through 2/15.
Sounds good.. perfect scenario to burn.

Your chase suite nights.. when do they expire? I guess if after January 1st, 2014 you've already evaluated if you get enough value elsewhere than Andaz Maui, for stay qualification after next year.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: AA (EXP), HH (Diamond), SPG (Platinum), HGP (Diamond), National Car (Exec Elite)
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Sounds good.. perfect scenario to burn.

Your chase suite nights.. when do they expire? I guess if after January 1st, 2014 you've already evaluated if you get enough value elsewhere than Andaz Maui, for stay qualification after next year.
I actually just got those (expire 9/14). Maybe I can get better use next year, but right now I see nothing setting up for their use. I would kick myself if I get near expiration with nothing of quality coming up.

The basis of my usage in Maui is that it's part of my 40th birthday trip and I wanted to guarantee myself into a Suite with the least money spent for the 3 nights. Right now it will cost me $368 (+ tax), 2 suite awards, 1 upgrade cert.

I'm always open to being educated in better value. I wanted to use all points for the last night, but the hotel wouldn't let me. They also said it would be $659 (plus tax) and 6K GPs for that 3rd night. While I do see the better value in that, I just don't see me using the saved upgrade for anything prior to 2/14.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:19 pm

Great pics everyone!
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:26 pm

Arrived Friday, beautiful place. Will update with more thoughts later, but I know everyone is wanting to see some pictures so here goes. We are in a partial ocean view king.

http://imgur.com/a/Dyjnz
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Great pictures. Thanks. We will be there on the 15Th.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold (1MM), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Here is a picture of the pool(s) - http://i.imgur.com/DGGB9ZG.jpg
Old Sep 7, 2013, 1:35 pm

Few more:

Entry - http://i.imgur.com/TVWG6II.jpg
Lobby - http://i.imgur.com/ElTAsvv.jpg
Hallway - http://i.imgur.com/kB1JO4g.jpg
View from partial ocean room - http://i.imgur.com/86tP2bD.jpg
Welcome gift - http://i.imgur.com/OAJpJjI.jpg
Old Sep 7, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist
Long time lurker on FT but wanted to chime in on the property as we got here last night.

I'm literally sitting in the room wearing my noise cancelling headphones because the generic Hawaiian music is so loud. It started around 8:30am and had we not been up already, it would've woken us as the music piped into the common area easily filters through the glass doors like having a very noisy neighbor. Initially I thought it might be a ploy to disguise construction noise but there isn't any that seems to be going on at the moment. People come to Hawaii to hear waves crashing and the breeze through the trees, not what they're playing for sure. I've lived downtown in major cities for the past 15 years so noise pollution is something I'm used to but even the Andaz Fifth Ave is NYC is more tranquil than this.

Like an earlier poster noted, the property does otherwise seem like it's been open for a while as it runs smooth with only one exception I could find so far. Last night we had the lights turn on multiple times and the blackout shades lift then drop about 30 minutes later. After waking up the third time at 4am from it, we just left the lights on and struggled back to sleep. Apparently it's a setting that is supposed to wow the guest upon seeing the room the first time the door is opened by turning on lights and then lifting the shade. Why it didn't get properly reset or turned off I'm still trying to figure out and haven't gotten much response on if it'll happen again or not.

Other than those growing pains, the location is great, internet is fast, staff is very friendly (perhaps too much actually), breakfast is amazing and the design of the hotel is beautiful.

Not sure if I'd suggest others to come here yet, down the line probably but if I had to book a return trip to Wailea I'd stick w/the other standards down the street.

Last edited by hawkswin; Sep 7, 2013 at 4:03 pm Reason: cause a typo
Old Sep 7, 2013, 4:27 pm

Talking

Keep in mind, this resort is catering to the younger and hipper crowd. I don't find the island music loud and I find it funny you have to sit on the balcony with noise canceling headphones! This hotel does have a kid club but if you want a very kid-friendly go to the Grand Wailea.

There is an adult-only serenity pool that is silent aside from some construction at a neighboring property (I don't think this is long-term, they were just smashing rocks and it sounded like a train).

I agree the staff is just a little too friendly. They are fully staffed yet low occupancy so the staff is trying to give every guest a lot of attention so its difficult to walk around the resort without every single employee you pass greeting you or asking how your day is going. It's a little much. Once it's busy they won't have the time to talk to everyone.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by PapaSmurf
Welcome gift - http://i.imgur.com/OAJpJjI.jpg
Oh god, is that white chocolate with lilikoi?
Old Sep 7, 2013, 7:07 pm

Diamond amenity

Has the diamond amenity been covered
Old Sep 7, 2013, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by tjbrooks
Oh god, is that white chocolate with lilikoi?
Yes, it was actually good.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 7:14 pm

Didn't know if that was a welcome gift for all. Diamond amenities usually involve a choice of 3-4 items.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.