Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[MGM] Luxor Las Vegas REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2013, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star

First, prior to making any reservations, enroll in Mlife. Once enrolled in Mlife and have activated your online account, you can make reservations at Mlife.com, which should offer you the lowest rates. I was able to get a 20% discount off of the regular room rate on Mlife once I logged in to my account.

Second, make sure you've got your Plat or Diamond status matched to Mlife.
I strongly encourage every HGP platinum and diamond to take advantage of the Mlife status match prior to checking in to any Mlife hotel. You will be status matched to Mlife Gold (HGP Platinum) or Platinum (HGP Diamond) which will allow you to check in to the hotel in the VIP line - a HUGE timesaver.
If you haven't status matched prior to arriving in Vegas, your first stop should be the Mlife desk for the status match. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR HYATT CARD. They will want to physically see your Hyatt card. If you are a member (not Platinum or Diamond), they will only give you sapphire, their lowest level.

Third, room rates. Weekends and special events days are much higher than weekdays. Weekday rates are great for mattress runs.

Check-in. There are two places for Mlife VIPs (anything above sapphire) to check in at Luxor. In the main reservation lines, there's a couple of counters on the far right exclusively for Pearls and above. This is much faster than standing in the long check-in line.
The second place to check in is downstairs, near the walkway to Excalibur. There's a regular line for Tower check-ins and a VIP lounge. You'll see signs that will take you to the VIP lounge. They are only open during normal business hours so I never used the VIP lounge to check in.

Resort Fees: $18 plus tax as of today; always subject to change. There was no suggestion of them waiving that fee, nor did I ask. My room rate was already very cheap so I wasn't going to waste any time or energy trying to get it waived.

Rooms: I had two different one night stays at Luxor. I booked Pyramid deluxe queen (cheapest rate) both times. As an Mlife Platinum, I was upgraded to a Pyramid King Suite and a Tower Deluxe King. Upgrades are subject to availability, but I got the impression that they would upgrade Mlife Plats/Noirs if at all possible. Staying just one night helps quite a bit on getting upgrades.
I strongly recommend staying in the Tower over the Pyramid. The rooms are older and in desperate need to an update in the Pyramid. If you want a view of the strip, tell them at check-in and they will put you in an East Tower room. I was on the 13th floor and had a partial view of the strip; the Excalibur blocked out some of the view.

My wife and I both preferred the Tower room over the Pyramid suite. I would have no issues staying in the same Tower room again.

Gambling: Watch out for blackjack tables that pay 6/5 on blackjacks. They've also got tables that pay 3/2 with the same rules.

Final note: This is a great property for a mattress run. My room cost was $57.79 all in ($33.60 room rate) and $58.69 ($34.40 room rate). For the night in between the Luxor rooms, we had an Excalibur room which is another excellent mattress run choice.

Last edited by iflyjetz; Aug 10, 2013 at 3:47 pm
Old Aug 10, 2013, 3:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
I see many posts, including yours, say get MLife status prior to arriving at the hotel, yet I have not seen a SINGLE post that shows how to enroll in MLife before actually arriving in Vegas. We were originally told that it would automatically enroll, but it appears you have to actually enroll in person at a property and then check in... Am I missing something?
Old Aug 10, 2013, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by taipeiflyer
I see many posts, including yours, say get MLife status prior to arriving at the hotel, yet I have not seen a SINGLE post that shows how to enroll in MLife before actually arriving in Vegas. We were originally told that it would automatically enroll, but it appears you have to actually enroll in person at a property and then check in... Am I missing something?
https://www.mlife.com//
Click on 'Enroll Now'.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 3:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
https://www.mlife.com//
Click on 'Enroll Now'.
Hi Iflyjetz- I had already enrolled, but it only gave me sapphire... To get my platinum MLife status, does that need to be done in Vegas at an MGM property?
Old Aug 10, 2013, 3:56 pm

No luck on matching with a hyatt.com printout? I don't even open my elite mail packages...
Old Aug 10, 2013, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by taipeiflyer
Hi Iflyjetz- I had already enrolled, but it only gave me sapphire... To get my platinum MLife status, does that need to be done in Vegas at an MGM property?
As of right now, yes. And as per 777 GMH, it's very important to have your Hyatt card for the match. I think that Hyatt will be sending out email invites later this month to Hyatt members.

Originally Posted by YYZC2;
No luck on matching with a hyatt.com printout? I don't even open my elite mail packages...
You can try, but I don't know how successful you'll be. Options: 1) Hyatt will be sending out emails later this month to offer Mlife matches, 2) you could call Hyatt and request another card, or 3) you can bring a printout and hope that Mlife matches you.

From another thread (9 Aug 2012 post date):
Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
Dear Flyer Talk Community,

A huge thank you for your enthusiasm about our new relationship with M life! We look forward to continuing to help you reap the benefits. Given some back and forth around a few topics on this forum, we wanted to jump in and help clarify a few things:

Earning potential – When staying at a Hyatt hotel or resort, you will need to choose either Hyatt Gold Passport points or M life Tier Credits for your stay. In order to earn M life Tier Credits at participating Hyatt hotels and resorts, you must be a member of both M life and Hyatt Gold Passport. Guests cannot earn both Hyatt Gold Passport points and M life Tier Credits for a Hyatt stay. When staying at a participating M life resort, guests may earn both Hyatt Gold Passport points and M life Tier Credits, provided they are a member of both programs.

Tier match timing and details – The big day is coming later this month when Hyatt Gold Passport members will have the opportunity to opt-in for a matched tier in M life! Hyatt Gold Passport members will receive an email with information about how to opt-in for a matched M life tier level. Conversely, M life members will be eligible to opt-in for a matched tier in Hyatt Gold Passport. Additional information is available in our Frequently Asked Questions, and full details will be posted on hyatt.com when members are able to opt-in for a matched tier.

We would also like to take this time to thank you for your patience as we work through the early stages of this relationship. As with anything new, there are always opportunities to improve, and we thank you for your valuable feedback that helps shape our program.

Warm regards and safe travels!

Dana M.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 6:03 pm
Used to be diaworld

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Dontcareist,
Originally Posted by YYZC2
I used the Hyatt.com app from my smart phone and it was fine.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 4:35 pm

Staying at the Luxor now, the second Luxor night of an Excalibur/Luxor/Excalibur/Luxor mattress run.

The Luxor is a notch above the Excalibur, which has the ambiance of a university dorm. The rooms are a bit worn, but clean and comfortable. The Luxor is on par with a large, convention-oriented Hyatt Regency. The Excalibur would be lucky to be flagged as a Holiday Inn outside of Vegas.

I status matched my Diamond status online and had picked up my mlife Platinum card before checking in for Luxor night #1. I stood in the elite line and was ignored by two chatting clerks while the regular check in line moved quickly. For Luxor check in #2 the elite line was not staffed at all.

No mention of my Platinum status although I did present my card both times. This was not a DYKWIA move... in all cases my mlife number was not recorded and I am sure I would have had posting issues if I did not make them aware.

I booked a base Pyramid room both nights and I was upgraded both times, first to a Strip-view room in the East tower (the FD agent simply said "you don't want to stay in the pyramid", whatever that means) and then to an East tower suite (this may be because of a service issue from my previous stay; see below).

I had lunch at the More buffet. It was underwhelming... cafeteria style food made from low-end ingredients. Spend a few extra bucks and go to the Bellagio. An mlife elite card is really valuable at the buffets as I was able to skip a 100-strong line at the mlife-affiliated Bellagio.

After I checked into the Excalibur for night #3 I realized I left my travel wifi router plugged into the wall at the Luxor on night #2. This was a giant PITA because both properties provide only WIRED internet access in the rooms.

Since the properties are very close, I walked back to the Luxor and asked the front desk if anything could be done. It was 10PM at this point; I had checked out 12 hours prior. I wasn't expecting miracles.

They made me a key and allowed me to check the room. It had been cleaned but not re-occupied. No problem, housekeeping probably had it, I'll check again when I come back the next day during business hours.

Checking in for night #4, I followed up. The front desk this time called "Lost and Found", and there was no answer. They then called security, who said no lost and found functions had been performed for two days. Whether this is a role for Housekeeping or Security is unclear. The FD clerk was very embarrassed and told me to file an inquiry report online.

Unsatisfied, I called for the FD manager from my room. I got quite a bit of pushback about talking to one, but finally got one on the line. I simply asked if she felt the response I got was appropriate, and she agreed it was a bit lacking. She promised to look into it and call me back.

She called back in about 10 minutes and told me my item could not be located. I told her the router had my e-mail address and phone number on it (I am obsessive about labeling my travel gear for situations just like this) and she said if it turned up Lost and Found would proactively reach out to me. She also offered to comp my room and resort fee, which I declined for fear of losing stay credit.

I get that the hotel is huge, but I was still disappointed with experience, especially the blow-off.

In short, the Luxor is a fantastic deal at weekday prices, mlife Platinum is of very questionable value, and keep your expectations in check. There are 4000+ rooms here, and unless you are a big gambler, you are nobody. Other than the missing router, which is my fault, I had a great stay.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Wired internet only!

As mentioned above by YYZc2

My travel 'puter (Samsung Chromebook)does not have an access port for a wired connection.

Other than that my stay was fine. Getting my Mlife card upgraded to platinum was very easy at the Mlife desk.

These huge Vegas hotels are really not my style-I have stayed in them often and just am turned off by the hassles of dealing with such big properties
Old Sep 1, 2013, 6:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
As mentioned above by YYZc2

My travel 'puter (Samsung Chromebook)does not have an access port for a wired connection.
There are inexpensive adapters that you plug into wired internet and produce your own wifi network.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
The one odd thing about my room here last week was that the ethernet cable for internet came out from behind the TV in an armoire (PHOTO). Had about 25 feet of cable and stretched it over to the chair I was sitting in. Not sure that's the best arrangement when there's 2 or more people in the room. There wasn't any wired access at the desk which took me by surprise.

I was upgraded to a king deluxe room here.

Old Sep 8, 2013, 3:55 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
staying here next week as mLife Gold.
Any tips on the hotel? Does the 20$ trick work here?

Any good reasonably prices restaurants nearby?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 7:54 am

Second stay here 9/6-9/9 for Gay Days Las Vegas (Luxor was the host hotel) and I was upgraded to a very nice suite.
The platinum check in desk was a real time saver. The "FirstUp"at the Valet stand did nothing for me.
Keep your expectations very low if you go to the More buffet. We really just wanted the salad bar which was good. The hot food was a 60% fail.
MLife rates beat the Hyatt.com rates by 30%
Very nice stay Except for the Ethernet cable vs. WiFi issue! Apparently I have to bring a router with me when I stay here. It would be nice if the hotel used some of the revenue from the $15 a day "resort"fee to install the routers needed for WiFi themselves.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Very nice stay Except for the Ethernet cable vs. WiFi issue! Apparently I have to bring a router with me when I stay here. It would be nice if the hotel used some of the revenue from the $15 a day "resort"fee to install the routers needed for WiFi themselves.
Because of the building's design and construction materials, hotelwide wifi is impossible, according to several employees. I imagine it would interfere with their surveillance cameras.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 6:03 pm

Nonsense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.