Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

Website typo on CA hotel price..will they honor it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Website typo on CA hotel price..will they honor it?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Question Website typo on CA hotel price..will they honor it?

So I was looking for a decent hotel price in SFO when I found a typo...a $200/night room for $20/night at the Parc 55 near Market Street. I quickly booked a 4-night stay and got a confirmation number then printed every page that said $20/night. This hotel has nothing less than $200/night and includes breakfast buffet. Sweet! Now my dilemma....will they honor it? Seems like they should have to since I have the documentation. Anyone else ever experience something like this?

P.S. I found it at southwest.com and booked it for July 23-27. Still there as of Friday night. Doesn't work for any other dates around those dates so it must be some sort of pricing snafu.

Last edited by traveljunkie405; Jul 11, 2008 at 10:08 pm Reason: More info about how/where booked
Old Jul 11, 2008, 12:36 am

Will they honor it...Sometimes Yes, Sometimes No.

Originally Posted by traveljunkie405
So I was looking for a decent hotel price in SFO when I found a typo...a $200/night room for $20/night at the Parc 55 near Market Street. I quickly booked a 4-night stay and got a confirmation number then printed every page that said $20/night. This hotel has nothing less than $200/night and includes breakfast buffet. Sweet! Now my dilemma....will they honor it? Seems like they should have to since I have the documentation. Anyone else ever experience something like this?

If you could provide a little more info you will probably get better advice.

It depends on what site you booked it on, wether directly with the hotel or through a third party site (travelocity, expedia, orbitz, etc). You probably have a better chance of it being honored if it was booked through a 3rd party site.

This is not the first time that a rate mistake like this has occurred, and it probably won't be the last, but there are no certain answers on wether or not it will be honored. For now, I would suggest that you just wait, do not contact the hotel, and just wait to see what happens.

Here is a thread regarding a similar "decimal point error" from the Le Parker Meridien hotel, which may provide some "reference" information for you.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=738287

Good Luck, and welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Jul 11, 2008, 6:26 am

The short answer is that they may or may not honor it.

The good news is that, in my experience, the hotel is almost always willing to honor the rate. I'm averaging about 90%. Either way, I never raise a stink. If they honor it, great. If they don't, then so be it.

If they do honor it, I always try to give that hotel my future business.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 11:00 am

Welcome to FT and your first post!

Congrats on this great find.

As far as you are concerned, you found this amazing deal in a beautiful city which would go for well over $250 a night otherwise. But, with the downturn in the economy the hotel was perhaps offering a limited time sale - and you booked. Right...?
Old Jul 11, 2008, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
If they don't honor it and you are not willing to pay the going rate, you should book a back-up reservation somewhere else that can be cancelled without penalty (assuming you arrive before the cancellation deadline). If they do honor it, cancel the back-up and enjoy your $20 room.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 2:26 pm

Programs: Subway Punch Card / 8 subs collected to date!
Originally Posted by traveljunkie405
Anyone else ever experience something like this?
No, Never....

Which Dates?
Old Jul 11, 2008, 7:59 pm

Programs: Many
I've been watching this one since this morning...surprised it hasn't gotten more traction, but then again without data/dates it's kind of hard to figure out.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 8:15 pm

Another interesting question is whether they SHOULD honor it.

I think they should, because this could go either way. Suppose the room normally goes for $200, but a computer glitch has it for $400. If someone is unaware that it is overpriced books it for $400 and shows up past the cancellation point, my guess is the hotel will hold them to the price committed to.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 9:28 pm

Programs: AC 75K, SPG P, CX SL
Originally Posted by agrater
Another interesting question is whether they SHOULD honor it.

I think they should, because this could go either way. Suppose the room normally goes for $200, but a computer glitch has it for $400. If someone is unaware that it is overpriced books it for $400 and shows up past the cancellation point, my guess is the hotel will hold them to the price committed to.
I had that happen at (what I think was then) a CP/fairmont hotel once in Whistler, Canada.

They refunded the difference between what I paid and some average taken between the lowest offered that night. and the rack rate.

Classy of them if you ask me...
Old Jul 11, 2008, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I can't tell from the OP's post, but it seems the odds would be higher if a card was charged for the full amount already, especially on a restrictive cancellation policy. In such a case it's more like a done deal, and harder and messier to back out of (though some places would still try).

If it's booked but not paid then it's shakier, especially if done with the hotel directly. I remember the pre-Internet days when a certain car-rent company named after a fort was notorious for saying one thing over the phone but another when you got to the counter.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Post deleted

Last edited by traveljunkie405; Jul 12, 2008 at 12:13 am Reason: Deleted private message not intended for board
Old Jul 12, 2008, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by mikensf74
Welcome to FT and your first post!

Congrats on this great find.

As far as you are concerned, you found this amazing deal in a beautiful city which would go for well over $250 a night otherwise. But, with the downturn in the economy the hotel was perhaps offering a limited time sale - and you booked. Right...?
nicely stated. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.