Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

Expedia's answer for Osaka and Tokyo reservations (MERGED THREAD)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expedia's answer for Osaka and Tokyo reservations (MERGED THREAD)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, DL former Gold, AA, SPG, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SF_trotter
Are you and others honestly saying you sincerely believed the Expedia deal was an intentional promotion and not a pricing mistake?
Since the hotel is already sitting there whether people are staying in the rooms or not, I for one think this would be a very viable way to draw attention to these particular hotels which could possibly be fighting against stiff competition. I have never been to Japan and I know nothing about the hotel situation there. That is not something that I think I need to care about as a customer. I found out about the expedia rates via an email and thus I assumed it was a legit promotion. I will certainly hold them responsible for it!
Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by the_nomad
So Mr. Dennis is contradicting himself.... [url]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8705059/

Class-action, brothers!

Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Should be interesting to watch the developments. I saw the special posted, briefly considered grabbing some rooms but had zero plans to actually use a reservation, so let it pass. Why not chalk it up to FT fun and let it go? Why consider legal options?

Having gotten in on some of the past misprices, i.e. the BA $20 WT+ special and a SEA-FCO $150 rate, I do know hotels and airfares work very differently and there is not alot, other than some temporary bad PR, to force either Expedia or Hilton to honor these rates.*

Just my 2 cents, of course.

*I'm not a lawyer and this wasn't meant as any kind of pseudo-legal advice, just my understanding of the system from a TA.

Last edited by tcook052; Nov 8, 2005 at 6:14 pm
Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, and about everything else
And yet, on Expedia I still see my Hilton confirmation number and am still able to print the page that states :
Reservation has been confirmed by Hilton Tokyo. Your credit card has been charged in full.........
I think I'll print out this page everyday for a while. I also have an email response to my question : "Before I book airfare, I want to reconfirm reservation # XXX..." Expedia assured me that the reservation was confirmed.
In all honest, I'm glad my trip isn't until mid next year, I think it may take some time to straighten this out. Good luck all, time to sit back and wait.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:58 pm

i would saay that expedia definitely is stupid for informing customers one thing and then reversing on that (makes me wish i had emailed them confirm my reservations!).

but, im sure many people booked lots of plane tickets already, and its because of the emails they sent out and people made public here. the fact that the charges are already on my credit card also made me sure that they were going to honor it.

perhaps this article is a public front from the company? they might be trying to make out like they wont be honoring this for the good of investors, but maybe they actually will be?

r
Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA gold, UA Premier, HH Gold, *wood gold, PC gold
Originally Posted by andrzej
Sorry, you saw that before I edited my post...

See this: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8705059/

In fact, I think it was you who pointed this one out, right? Good call!

Last edited by the_nomad; Nov 8, 2005 at 6:02 pm
Old Nov 8, 2005, 6:01 pm

I'm not terribly annoyed if they want to cancel....but the longer they hold onto my $13, the more annoyed I'll get.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 6:02 pm

the_nomad, you may want to grab that voucher you were offered, or are you staying in for the ride?
Old Nov 8, 2005, 6:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by the_nomad
Sorry, you saw that before I edited my post...

See this: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8705059/
I found this article earlier today and posted it for you because at that time your situation mirrored the ladies situation.

I don't see any relevance to our discussion here.

They are telling (at least for now) that they will cancel all reservations.

Different animal.......
Old Nov 8, 2005, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by rockyp
the_nomad, you may want to grab that voucher you were offered, or are you staying in for the ride?
Fight, fight, fight!

...or whatever y'all want to do (I say class-action, lol).

Originally Posted by SF_trotter
If so, why were people blaming Farealert for killing the "deal"? Why were people so concerned that Expedia might find out about its own special "promotion"?
For a historical example of a legitimate promotion/deal that got pulled early when it apparently proved too popular, please search the Delta forum for the 1-800-FLOWERS deal. I think it was from December, 2003.
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
As far as I'm concerned they either honour it or get dragged to small claims (UK) by myself.

Suffice to say that a mutual agreement was made and passed. The reservation was both confirmed by Expedia and Hilton (both confirmation numbers). Add to that it has now been more than 72 hours since I have booked (enough time for them to contact me if they intended to back out of a mutually agreed contract).

I have used Expedia for all my travel plans in the past year, however if they back out of this, so will I. I can go and do my travel planning on other websites (ie. Travelocity) who at least are honnest in their business.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
I found this article earlier today and posted it for you because at that time your situation mirrored the ladies situation.

Different animal.......
Actually, they are not telling us anything and they should have no reasonable expectation that everyone who booked the deal reads USA Today.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 6:06 pm

Different animal.......
Yep, I thought it was you.

But it seems similar in a way... some of us might have already purchased non-refundable tix to Japan so then are "stranded" just as Mr. Dennis says.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA, HHonors Gold
???

Originally Posted by boifromtroy
Actually, they are not telling us anything and they should have no reasonable expectation that everyone who booked the deal reads USA Today.

Well the article in USA Today came about from a member of Flyertalk emailing them and telling them what was going on while the deal was still available. I hope this is just a front.
Rex

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.