Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun AI $269 01/01/14 - 07/01/14

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2013, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun AI $237 for 2, Jan 1 to Jan 7/14

Found this price for Jan 1 to Jan 7 only so far. This all inclusive resort is normally $430 to 450 per night for 2 people. 4.5/5 on TA. 4.7/5 on Expedia. I'd recommend spending another $20 a night for the Swim Out Junior Suite. Use hotels.com 10% off code htl2013.

http://www.hotels.com/hotel/details....e_newest_first

Last edited by trajanc; Feb 24, 2013 at 8:21 am
Old Feb 23, 2013, 4:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, TD.
Originally Posted by trajanc
Haven't tinkered around with other dates. This place is normally $430 to 450 per night AI for 2 people. 4.5/5 on TA. 4.7/5 on Expedia. I'd recommend spending another $20 a night for the Swim Out Junior Suite. Use hotels.com 10% off code htl2013.

http://www.hotels.com/hotel/details....e_newest_first
Sorry not finding it.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Hmm, I can't make the link work. Might be the tablet I am using. Do a search on hotels.com for those dates exactly, Playa del Carmen, and it's there. $269 right now before applying the 10% discount.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 5:53 am

Programs: No preference
For clarity, the AI price you reference is per night?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Yes, per night. And by AI I am referring to the fact that the resort is all inclusive.

Not a bargain basement AI. Just the opposite and this is by far the lowest price I have ever seen. Secrets are adults only. I've stayed at Secret's property before and they are amazing.

We've booked at $238 and it's been confirmed by the hotel.

Last edited by trajanc; Feb 24, 2013 at 7:48 am
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
I'm guessing that the date order there is not in the American "traditional" date format of:

MONTH-DAY-YEAR

but instead of

the international date order [including the date format used in Mexico] of:

DAY-MONTH-YEAR

So it's valid

January 1, 2014-January 7, 2014

not

January 1, 2014-July 1, 2014

hence why this rate is only valid immediately for the week after New Years Day, a historically low occupancy week, throughout North America. Also why everyone else is unable to find the rates during the dates between January 1, 2014 and July 1, 2014.

It's a decent rate for this time period, even being a nice AI, but again this week is a REALLY slow week almost everywhere!

Hopefully someone can prove me wrong with other dates working for this rate obtained by the OP with the coupon included?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:11 am
Original Poster

No, it's Jan 1 to 7. Didn't even occur to me that the date format would be an issue for anyone. Yes, obviously that is not a busy week in the travel biz which is likely part of the reason why it is so steeply discounted for that exact week.

heh And I thought the original post was so clear and complete.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Originally Posted by trajanc
No, it's Jan 1 to 7. Didn't even occur to me that the date format would be an issue for anyone. Yes, obviously that is not a busy week in the travel biz which is likely part of the reason why it is so steeply discounted for that exact week.

heh And I thought the original post was so clear and complete.
Thanks for clarifying.

Yes, it is indeed a very nice AI, and at peak times in 2013 is commanding a price above $650 per night for 2 people!
Old Feb 24, 2013, 9:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Interestingly enough Secrets own website returns no availability at all for these dates.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: Promus Preferred, ITT Sheraton Club
How long will this be valid?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 9:14 pm

THis deal was first reported on tripadvisor, you can see the details at http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...Peninsula.html

The first week of January is somewhat slow, relatively speaking, but these low rates haven't been seen since 2009 (during the swine flu scare in Mexico.) It doesn't seem like this is an intentional sale by the resort. Even during the official low season of Sept-Oct, rates are upwards of $400 a night.

Most AI hotels in the area haven't released their 2014 rooms yet. For some reason, Secret Maroma rooms for this limited time period have been released by the resort through hotel.com and expedia.

FYI, for those thinking of booking a swimout room for these dates, although the hotel has a heated pool, the swimout room pools are not heated and may be quite chilly during that time of year. Also, ocean-view rooms are simply 4th story rooms. Lower floor room views might be obscured by vegetation. (But since ocean view rooms are only about $12/nt more expensive at these rates, they're definitely worth a consideration.)

I booked this hotel for those dates because I think it's a great deal for this property and will probably not be seen again, if history is an indicator of anything.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by bocos
The first week of January is somewhat slow, relatively speaking, but these low rates haven't been seen since 2009 (during the swine flu scare in Mexico.) It doesn't seem like this is an intentional sale by the resort. Even during the official low season of Sept-Oct, rates are upwards of $400 a night.
Completely agree that this is not a normal "sale" making it all the more of a value.

The advice on the swim out rooms is also spot on and will only add that the swim-out tooms are often are near resort walkways and I've heard some feedback that as a result they offer less privacy than higher floor rooms. I noticed this while at the El Dorado Maroma in 2011.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bocos
THis deal was first reported on tripadvisor, you can see the details at http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...Peninsula.html
And just a suggestion to a new user, if you read it there and thought it was a good deal you should share it here.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 1:56 pm

So it's $269 less 10% AI? Correct?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 2:00 pm

Does it need to be paid in full or can it be paid with a deposit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.