Do Groupon rates qualify for BRG?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott

In general, can you earn points if the stay was paid with a groupon and are those rates eligible for BRG?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

TLI....
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:26 am

Wirelessly posted (Ipod: Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I doubt it
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:45 am

No such luck
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:00 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

When you read the fine print on what is necessary to qualify for a hotel BRG, you will discover that there is a very small window with no flexibility in interpretation in order to qualify.

I'll go ahead and say... nope. No way.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:10 am

Given that each programs BRG department needs to be able to go to the competing website and see that the lower rate is available for a specific room type and specific date with the same or better cancellation conditions - I think that that is 3 strikes already and in this game 1 strike and you are out
Old Jul 21, 2012, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I don't think so. Usually booking with online travel agency, such as priceline, orbitz will qualify.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
Can I at least earn points for the stay if I pay it with a Groupon?
Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:17 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
i have submitted two BRG with hyatt and with hilton , they both said when using a coupon it excludes from the BRG . I explained it wasnt a coupon but a promotion didnt get anywhere
Old Jul 22, 2012, 8:37 am

I do not see them approving a BRG as it has unique conditions.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MVF Trekker
Can I at least earn points for the stay if I pay it with a Groupon?
Of course not.

It's an either/or. Groupon rates are designed for the general public who doens't care about miles or points, doesn't have hotel status, etc. If you aren't that general public, and you do care about hotel points, Groupon rates weren't designed for you.

You get to choose how you have save on hotels: You can book with the third-parties and save on the hotel now, but earn no points for future stays. Or you can book with the hotel program and pay a bit more now, but earn points to get futute hotel stays free or at high discounts (if cash + points rates). The money the hotel pays comes out of the same pool: They either give up some of the room rate to Groupon, or give up some of the room rate to the points program. They can't both (on the same room booking on the same night), which is why you generally can't "stack" a Groupon rate (or most other third-party rates) with points earnings.

(The most you can hope for is for some hotel somewhere to occasionally make a mistake and still give you points. But when that happens it's a mistake and an exception, and you should not count on it at all.)
Old Jul 24, 2012, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Of course not.....
That's what I suspected
Thanks a lot for the info!
Old Aug 1, 2012, 5:57 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
One way around, not really a workaround because the ROI is paltry, but most, if not all, of the airline shopping malls have Groupon as a participant. If you sign up with Groupon, and then go in to buy through your preferred program's shopping mall, you'll get miles or points for your spend. Occasionally, the shopping mall and Groupon will do a limited time offer in which 2, 8, 16 etc. miles/points can be earned per dollar spent. Probably not worth all this air to describe, but can be worthwhile for keeping a frequent traveler account alive month to month. And you might as well get something for buying a Groupon if such is available.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Shanye2233
i have submitted two BRG with hyatt and with hilton , they both said when using a coupon it excludes from the BRG . I explained it wasnt a coupon but a promotion didnt get anywhere
Do you know somebody who got a BRG approved from Hilton in the past decade?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.