Reload this Page >

Discover America 2011 - hotel deal promos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discover America 2011 - hotel deal promos

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:44 am

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by sunspotzsz
I am wondering for this kind of car rental deals, how does insurance work?
Theory is rent something else- GPS for rental and then it's covered. Ck w/ your ins agent. Otherwise, Amex offers ins cvrge for I think 24.95 length of rental but again I don't know if they would cover free rental- call them and see if charging something extra would qualify. I called Amex-they do not cover free rentals irregardless if you throw on a GPS.

Last edited by rustyr; Apr 4, 2011 at 10:22 am
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:26 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Is it me or are these deals not nearly as good as last year? Didn't they offer a $500 marriott gift card last year for $400?

Hmmmm. I guess if you use the AMEX then the price drops to last years numbers.

Last edited by pkerr; Apr 4, 2011 at 9:31 am
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:16 am

April 18-22 is the last week I can see after clicking the calendar view. April 23-29, May 2-6, and May 9-13 all say 'More great getaways are coming soon. Check back later.' Is that what everyone else can see?
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta PLAT, Marriot Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, A couple of other airlines - pee on
Choice Hotels

So buy Choice privilege points for the "Comfort" brand, but can you use them for other Choice brands?
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:35 am

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Probably doesn't matter but ...

The website has a FAQ for the Daily Getaways and one of the lines state:

Who is the “seller” for the fixed price items?
You are purchasing all items on the site from Discover America®. The offers and auction packages are made possible by participating travel organizations and Convention & Visitors Bureaus.
So, does this affect the way in which these points may be used? Specifically, since the points for the Hyatt stays are not being sold directly to the end user by Hyatt, could Hyatt place additional restrictions on a set bucket of points that are deposited into one's HGP account by Discover America, LLC? For example, if one were to purchase the '2 Nights at Elite Hotels at Hyatt for $333' package. Could (and would) Hyatt restrict 30,000 HGP points in the subject account to be used only at Hyatt's Category 4 hotels?

T&Cs state:
Package includes 30,000 Hyatt Gold Passport bonus points that may be redeemed at participating Hyatt Gold Passport Category 4 hotels for “free night awards”.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Silver VIP, Delta Skymiles, USAirways
Originally Posted by bluedevils
April 18-22 is the last week I can see after clicking the calendar view. April 23-29, May 2-6, and May 9-13 all say 'More great getaways are coming soon. Check back later.' Is that what everyone else can see?
Yep, same here.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:43 am

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by MIT_SBM
The website has a FAQ for the Daily Getaways and one of the lines state:

So, does this affect the way in which these points may be used? Specifically, since the points for the Hyatt stays are not being sold directly to the end user by Hyatt, could Hyatt place additional restrictions on a set bucket of points that are deposited into one's HGP account by Discover America, LLC? For example, if one were to purchase the '2 Nights at Elite Hotels at Hyatt for $333' package. Could (and would) Hyatt restrict 30,000 HGP points in the subject account to be used only at Hyatt's Category 4 hotels?
It says may be used, not it must be used for cat 4 hotels only.
Originally Posted by kaaria
So buy Choice privilege points for the "Comfort" brand, but can you use them for other Choice brands?
And after 2 stays right now you can get a free gas card- but the points are just deposited in your account- you can use them as you wish. I read it for both promotions as examples of how you can use your pts.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
they've always just deposited points into one's account - they've never cared how I spent the points.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:22 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jumpdogjump
they've always just deposited points into one's account - they've never cared how I spent the points.
Same for me - I bought points last year and they were deposited to my account. I was able to use them however I wanted to.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold (4 life), Delta Platinum, Starwood Gold, IC RA
The offers do not look that great. Last year was way better. As to the points, I know they offered IHG points last year that they classified as either Crowne Plaza or IC. It was structured as 25K for Crowne Plaza, or 40K for IC. I bought points. The points were just deposited to my account. I could use them as I pleased.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:38 pm

As long as they offer Wyndham points, I'm a happy camper.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 6:12 pm

There are 3 weeks yet that we don't know what will be offered - may all your wishes be fulfilled.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 7:20 am

Programs: KLM Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by rustyr
It says may be used, not it must be used for cat 4 hotels only.

And after 2 stays right now you can get a free gas card- but the points are just deposited in your account- you can use them as you wish. I read it for both promotions as examples of how you can use your pts.
Points stays are not eligible for promotions. They count however for the status.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by rustyr
Theory is rent something else- GPS for rental and then it's covered. Ck w/ your ins agent. Otherwise, Amex offers ins cvrge for I think 24.95 length of rental but again I don't know if they would cover free rental- call them and see if charging something extra would qualify. I called Amex-they do not cover free rentals irregardless if you throw on a GPS.
The one that I know works for MasterCard - use a weeklong reward on an 8 day rental. As long as at least one day is charged, you are covered.

One I'm thinking about but would not know off the top of my head if it would work is based off of Mastercard needing a base rate (i.e. no fuel charges, taxes, etc.) higher than $0. If I'm using Hertz and reserve a full size and then upgrade to a different class for $5/day, would that cover the rental?
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Last year Starwood points were available. 50,000 for $725. Transfer them to AA and get an additional 12,500.

62,500 pts = 01.16 per mile. Not to bad a deal.

But they definitely were in limited supply. A lot of folks were unable to get in on it due to high demand and WEB site "clogging"

And if memory serves me, each days sale started sometime in the morning. Like 7 or 8 EST. Definitely NOT at midnight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.