Wiki Posts
Search

Any Recommendations for Guidebook - Four Month Trip to HK

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2009, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Any Recommendations for Guidebook - Four Month Trip to HK

I will be studying at HKU for four months, taking a break from NYU. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on books or any other media that would help me prepare. I picked up some guidebooks but these seem excessively touristy. I am more interesting in learning about the culture, how to perform basic tasks, how to get around, cost of living etc.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Old Aug 19, 2009, 4:04 pm

After spending a week or two there, I'd suspect that you'd be able to write a guidebook on the place.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL Plat, DL SkyClub, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, National Emerald Exec
You’ll be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to find your footing and fit right in. I’d go ahead and opt for a couple of good guidebooks, even if they feel touristy, since you’ll want to explore various parts of the city and Kowloon that make the area so special...including those touristy things like the Star Ferry, Victoria Peak, and the myriad of temples and shrines hidden there.

I’m a big fan of the Time Out series, since they often include obscure sources you won’t find in other books. If not for their Beijing version, I never would have found the tailor I head straight to each time I’m in that neck of the woods.

Be sure to take time to boat over to Macau sometime too. Well worth the people watching alone.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 7:46 pm

Programs: MPC
if you're spending that long here, you don't need a quidebook, unless you're a complete loner, you'd get to talk to fellow students.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 9:24 pm

Your PM box is full

Tried to pm this to you:

My younger son is alumni of NYU, was RA his last two years there. And I'm alumni of Sterns MBA from 80's

My older boy is now living in HK, moved here after college back in 06. He has full time job and also teaches GMAT, LSAT, SAT, etc.

If you need advice, hook up with older one when you arrive. PM if interested.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 7:15 am

(deleted)

Last edited by Clipper801; Aug 22, 2009 at 9:04 am
Old Aug 21, 2009, 11:01 am

Programs: Dirt
I have found this atlas indispensable for getting around using the public transportation: http://www.up.com.hk/product-hk-eng/...-map02-eng.htm

It's in dead tree format so easy to take with you. Most local bookstores sell it and other similar atlases for a nominal price.

I agree with the recommendation of relying on your colleagues for recommendations on where to go and what to do. I have never been a fan of tourist guide books myself.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 11:54 am
Community Director Emerita

The Culture Shock series of books is quite good. There is one on Hong Kong.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 3:52 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
The Culture Shock series of books is quite good. There is one on Hong Kong.
I saw this thread and the Culture Shock book was my first thought. Good for tourists too, not just expats.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 6:01 pm

I agree -- that Culture Shock book is ideal.

Get a book with a good map in it -- where it is the main feature. Though now with Google maps and www.ypmap.com and www.centamap.com you can look up virtually any address, I like to study fold out street maps.

If I come across the ones I used I will reply and put the titles here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.