Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Can someone please explain the reasoning behind the HKIA liquids policy??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2009, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion, United 1mm, AA 1mm

Hi guys-

It annoys me slightly that HKIA has the secondary screening policy for passengers going to the USA. In any other airport in the world, we are allowed to bring liquids bought after the security checkpoint onto the planes except for here. On the signs they mention to check with the TSA, but there is no such rule on the books that I can find, and i've searched all over their website.

Old Jun 26, 2009, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
My suspicion is that they understand the irrationality of the 3-1-1 rule and will be lifting it for all other destinations at the earliest opportunity. Once they do that they will need to keep it in place at the gate for flights to the paranoid nations (I guess USA, Australia and UK; perhaps Canada also).

Travelling elsewhere in the world is quite quietly and smoothly returning to the status quo ante.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 4:59 pm
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
I even tried to use up my few remaining HK dollars buying minis that would fit into my quart ziplock.

No sale!

And no logic would budge the salesperson.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by fumanku
In any other airport in the world, we are allowed to bring liquids bought after the security checkpoint onto the planes except for here.
Any airport in the world except HKG ? Are you 100% sure ? Obviously you haven't flown from ICN to the US.

Even when you are transferring in NRT, the transfer point will still ask you if you have any drinks or they are going to take it from you. Technically it is already inside the secure area.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jul 11, 2009 at 10:31 pm
Old Jul 12, 2009, 11:20 am

Before the TG non-stop Bkk/JFK was stopped, they also had same policy but did it with a smile
Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion, United 1mm, AA 1mm
No I have not been thru ICN in a while, but the gist of my post was that there is no reason based on facts (As read from the TSA website) that you should not be allowed to bring duty free liquids purchased inside the security gate.

About transfers, I dont think there is any airport that lets liquids transfer on hand carry.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
About transfers, I dont think there is any airport that lets liquids transfer on hand carry.
Plenty do if you meet their criteria. For example, Hong Kong.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi guys-

It annoys me slightly that HKIA has the secondary screening policy for passengers going to the USA. In any other airport in the world, we are allowed to bring liquids bought after the security checkpoint onto the planes except for here. On the signs they mention to check with the TSA, but there is no such rule on the books that I can find, and i've searched all over their website.

My understanding is that it is a TSA requirement imposed on airlines flying to the U.S. When I went through HKG earlier this year, I asked the screener if he was employed by the Hong Kong or Chinese government, or whether he was hired by TSA. He said that he was an off-duty Hong Kong security employee who had been hired by the airline (UA, in this case).
Old Jul 17, 2009, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by PTravel
He said that he was an off-duty Hong Kong security employee who had been hired by the airline (UA, in this case).
So, the question should rightly be directed to UA.

One possible explanation is that screening of liquid products brought into the sterile area by merchants for sale airside has a particular TSA screening requirement, which US airports meet but HKIA does not.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:01 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
All of the airlines flying to the US from HKG do this nonsense - it's not just a UA thing or their fault... CX, NW, CO, and any other airline flying to the US all have to participate in this sham. It's been going on since the stupid and unnecessary restrictions went into place years ago.

Nonsensical? You betcha. Don't blame HKG - blame the U.K. for starting it and the USA for validating and forcing it on the rest of the world.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:04 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Steve M
One possible explanation is that screening of liquid products brought into the sterile area by merchants for sale airside has a particular TSA screening requirement, which US airports meet but HKIA does not.
The TSA does nothing to liquids sold airside in the US, other than running them through the same X-Ray machines that process your bags. Somehow those are magically safe, yet personal liquids are not.

Government stupidity at it's finest.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 11:20 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
All of the airlines flying to the US from HKG do this nonsense - it's not just a UA thing or their fault... CX, NW, CO, and any other airline flying to the US all have to participate in this sham. It's been going on since the stupid and unnecessary restrictions went into place years ago.

Nonsensical? You betcha. Don't blame HKG - blame the U.K. for starting it and the USA for validating and forcing it on the rest of the world.
It makes no sense. I passed security, went into the Singapore Air lounge, left with a mini plastic SEALED bottle of "Singapore Air" water and then had it confiscated by the gate security at Singapore Air. Huhhh

Seems I trusted them to give me good water, but they did not even trust themselves that it was "safe". Again, makes no sense.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 8:25 am
Suspended

you also want to try it from UK and see what happens

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.