Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Macau 1-day Trip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2009, 12:21 pm

Macau Youtube Video

Hi,
Hope you have a great trip, I love Macau. Here is a youtube link of some great sights in Macau, it may help you narrow down what you'd like to see.

j.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp2HMX2T72k
Old Feb 22, 2009, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

As far as the ferry goes, whichever one I end up taking, I won't opt for the more expensive super-class. From what I read, it doesn't seem worth it, especially since I'm traveling alone. If I don't overnight, and my last stop is the Venetian, is CotaiJet preferable to TurboJet?

I will be staying at Hotel Benito ($700HKD), which should be right outside the TST MTR station. I would consider staying at the Sheraton ($1188HKD) for one night if I stayed the following night in Macau, especially because they won't charge extra for early check-in.

I haven't been to TST before, but have been to Ngong Ping, Mong Kok and Admirality during my last stay in HK. I'm really hoping to use this trip to explore more. One day in HKG enough -- I'll eventually be back.

In Macau, there's Pousada de Mong Ha (weekday-$480MOP/night) which has good reviews on TripAdvisor. A bit isolated but I think taxis don't cost too much.

All prices I listed here are after taxes and fees.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Yes, if your last stop is the Venetian, you can just take the Cotaijet back from Taipa. But check their schedule. It's only once an hour in the evening.

http://cotaijet.com.mo/en/destinations/index.aspx

Pousada da Mong Ha is pretty inconvenient for sightseeing. For $480 on a weekday, you can get lots of choices, if you just book at the Macau Ferry Terminal. I've spent no more than $500 for hotels a night in Macau, staying at various hotels like Royal, Sintra or the Ritz in Macau proper; or New Century and Grand View on Taipa. That's all-in.

Don't know much about the Benito. Good location. But expect tiny rooms. It looks small even in their pictures. Also, most hotels in Hong Kong add 10% service charge and/or 3% room tax to the quote, so $700 may actually be $791.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I did a Macau day trip last February. The only reason I splurged for the upper-class was because the regular seats were sold out for a couple hours when I got to the terminal. It was nice, open and comfortable upstairs on the boat but I don't think that it really matters one way or another.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Cupart
I never said anything about the difference in types of vessels used, only the service!
Is vessel used a kind of service ? If not, then you should say on board service instead.

Who care about service if the vessel is so rough that make you sea sick keep vomitting all the way there?
Old Feb 28, 2009, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA 2MM Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, and EVA Gold soon
1 hour connection time enough?

Will be arriving on UA 869 to HKG 6:00 pm 04/20, would like to take ferry to Macau....schedule shows a 7:00 pm sailing. Assuming our flight arrives on time, and with checked baggage, is this doable....with < 1 hour to transit?
The next ferry is at 10:00 pm. Don't really want to wait an extra 2 hours.
Our final destination is Zhuhai across the Macau border. I think the border closes at 12 midnight?
Any advice or suggestions appreciated.^
Old Feb 28, 2009, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rerunree1
Will be arriving on UA 869 to HKG 6:00 pm 04/20, would like to take ferry to Macau....schedule shows a 7:00 pm sailing. Assuming our flight arrives on time, and with checked baggage, is this doable....with < 1 hour to transit?
The next ferry is at 10:00 pm. Don't really want to wait an extra 2 hours.
Our final destination is Zhuhai across the Macau border. I think the border closes at 12 midnight?
Any advice or suggestions appreciated.^
Your problem isn't not enough options to get to Zhuhai, but too many.

1. You should just go straight to the Turbojet's counter and see if you can make the 7pm ferry. They will let you know. If yes, then that's it.

2. If not, then at the same ferry desk, see if you can get the ferry from HKG to Shekou at 7:30p. From Shekou, you can take the 8:30p ferry to Zhuhai.

[If this is Friday, Saturday or Sunday, you can even take a 8:30p ferry to Shekou, connecting to the 9:30p to Zhuhai.]

3. If you miss that one too and don't want to wait for the 10pm to Macau, you can go through immigration at HKG, pick up luggage, and then take A11 bus to Hong Kong Island. It takes about 40 minutes, and first stop in the city is the Macau Ferry Terminal. From there, you can take the next Turbojet (every 15 minutes or less) to Macau, or the 9:30p to Zhuhai.

Any of these options will get you to Zhuhai way before midnight. Including the 10p ferry from HKG. If your flight is super-delayed, you can still take a bus from HKG to the 24-hour Huanggang crossing. Over the Chinese side, you can probably negotiate a taxi to drive you all the way over to Zhuhai.

Last edited by rkkwan; Feb 28, 2009 at 8:34 pm
Old Feb 28, 2009, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, after looking at the various timetables, there's actually a better way than #1.

0. There is a 7:40p ferry direct from HKG to Zhuhai. No need to transfer in Macau. And give you more time to catch it after your flight.

http://www.cksp.com.hk/eng/skypier/timetable/main.html

Sailing #3A184 in the bottom of the page. HK$260/315/345.

With this option, you can pretty much forget options 1. and 2. in my previous post.

If your flight is late enough to miss this option, you might as well wait for the 10pm ferry to Macau.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Your problem isn't not enough options to get to Zhuhai, but too many.

1. You should just go straight to the Turbojet's counter and see if you can make the 7pm ferry. They will let you know. If yes, then that's it.

2. If not, then at the same ferry desk, see if you can get the ferry from HKG to Shekou at 7:30p. From Shekou, you can take the 8:30p ferry to Zhuhai.

[If this is Friday, Saturday or Sunday, you can even take a 8:30p ferry to Shekou, connecting to the 9:30p to Zhuhai.]

3. If you miss that one too and don't want to wait for the 10pm to Macau, you can go through immigration at HKG, pick up luggage, and then take A11 bus to Hong Kong Island. It takes about 40 minutes, and first stop in the city is the Macau Ferry Terminal. From there, you can take the next Turbojet (every 15 minutes or less) to Macau.

Any of these options will get you to Zhuhai way before midnight. Including the 10p ferry from HKG. If your flight is super-delayed, you can still take a bus from HKG to the 24-hour Huanggang crossing. Over the Chinese side, you can probably negotiate a taxi to drive you all the way over to Zhuhai.
Thanks rkkwan, you da man!
Old Feb 28, 2009, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks rkkwan, you da man!
Please check my newer reply. I posted it around the same time you replied.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 8:56 pm

Actually, after looking at the various timetables, there's actually a better way than #1.

0. There is a 7:40p ferry direct from HKG to Zhuhai. No need to transfer in Macau. And give you more time to catch it after your flight.

http://www.cksp.com.hk/eng/skypier/timetable/main.html

Sailing #3A184 in the bottom of the page. HK$260/315/345.

With this option, you can pretty much forget options 1. and 2. in my previous post.

If your flight is late enough to miss this option, you might as well wait for the 10pm ferry to Macau.
Thought they took the 7:40 off, did they put that back?
The HKG web site no longer list that 7:40 sailing:

Zhuhai Jiuzhou estimated journey time: 50 mins

PRD Arriving at HKIA Ferry No Departing HKIA

3A081 0930 1020 3A181 1215
3A082 1240 1330 3A182 1415
3A083 1530 1620 3A183 1700

Looks like only three round trips daily and the last one departs at 5pm
Old Feb 28, 2009, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thought they took the 7:40 off, did they put that back?
The HKG web site no longer list that 7:40 sailing:
I would think the CKS website may be more up-to-date, as they are the operator, and it was last updated on 1/21/09, which is quite current. But I don't for sure.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, you are correct! The 7:40p ferry was canceled, effective 2/16/09. There is a news release on their Chinese language site on 2/9/09.

Current timetable from HKG:

http://www.cksp.com.hk/cnews/index/skypier.pdf

So, you're back to options 1, 2 and 3.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 9:21 pm

Actually, you are correct! The 7:40p ferry was canceled, effective 2/16/09. There is a news release on their Chinese language site on 2/9/09.

Current timetable from HKG:

http://www.cksp.com.hk/cnews/index/skypier.pdf

So, you're back to options 1, 2 and 3.
The original plan was the 7:40 to Zhuhai, since then....., thought I better ask here and learn from the experts. Thanks again.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just want to add that I think the ferry to Shekou option has some risk. And also most expensive. Because you need to go through Chinese immigration during your 20-minute or so connection there. Sure, there's still a 9:30p ferry Shekou-Zhuhai, but that will mean waiting almost an hour there if you miss that connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.