Wiki Posts
Search

Shenzhen to Hong Kong Midlands

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2009, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
Shenzhen to Hong Kong Midlands

After many changes I have finalized my plans and would like to know what is the best /fastest /cheapest /most scenic way to get from Shenzen airport to the Hong Kong midlands on a Friday at about noontime.

I realize that there is probably no answer that addresses all these issues, but as this is my first time there, I am really at a lose and would appreciate any advice

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 13, 2009, 12:13 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I assume by "Hong Kong midlands" you actually mean "Hong Kong mid-levels" - my guess being that you're aiming for an establishment on Robinson Road.

The fastest would be a private limo service.
The cheapest would be a series of public buses, which might not get you there by sunset (depending on your arrival time)
The scenic value is limited - the whole area is deep in pollution/smog these days so rarely much to see.
A compromise (cheaper than a limo but possibly faster than buses all the way) might be a ferry to Hong Kong then a bus or a taxi, but that depends on your exact arrival time.

Google throws up this blog post which describes these options (except the limo) in more detail.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep
I assume by "Hong Kong midlands" you actually mean "Hong Kong mid-levels" - my guess being that you're aiming for an establishment on Robinson Road.

The fastest would be a private limo service.
The cheapest would be a series of public buses, which might not get you there by sunset (depending on your arrival time)
The scenic value is limited - the whole area is deep in pollution/smog these days so rarely much to see.
A compromise (cheaper than a limo but possibly faster than buses all the way) might be a ferry to Hong Kong then a bus or a taxi, but that depends on your exact arrival time.

Google throws up this blog post which describes these options (except the limo) in more detail.
Your perception is uncanny. Mid-levels, Robinson Road it is, and I do have to get there by sunset. If all is well I should arrive at 10:30 AM
Old Feb 13, 2009, 1:14 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Reading further, I reckon the express bus to Kowloon station is your best bet, as described here: http://annatam.com/direct-shenzhen-airport-hk-bus/

And at Kowloon station you could then pick up a cab direct to your destination - cost about HK$80 (through the western harbour tunnel), or take the MTR (subway, Tung Chung Line) from Kowloon Station to Hong Kong Station (cost HK$8.5), then a cab to your destination (cost about HK$30). Note that each piece of luggage in the trunk of the cab is charged an extra HK$5.

Sunset is just after 6pm, which gives you plenty of slack for delays.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Last December when my dad took the direct ChinaLink bus from SZX to the Elements Mall/Kowloon AE station, they also have a free connection shuttle to go to Wan Chai on HK Island. I don't know if they can also stop in Central.

But otherwise, taking that bus, then Tung Chung Line to Hong Kong station, then taxi will be my way of getting to the Mid-Levels.

Just make sure you're taking a bus that goes through the Shenzhen Bay/Western Crossing, and not Huanggang.

Allow 90 minutes for the bus trip.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 10:27 pm

Programs: DL/DM, UA/PE, AC/Elite, CX/DM, HH/Gold, SPG/Plat, Marriott/Gold, PC/RA Plat
An alternative to the above suggestions is that you could take a taxi from SZX to Shenzhen Bay ~150RMB. After transiting immigration, taking a taxi to the mid-levels ~550HKD. Not the cheapest, but if you want to see some scenic Hong Kong the new Shenzhen Bay offers some views.

There are cheaper alternatives, such as a bus from the SZX airport to Shenzhen Bay. Haven't taken any of those but believe the direct bus cost around 100RMB. After transiting immigration, there are frequent, numerous buses from the HK side of Shenzhen Bay to various HK points at ~50HKD. Taking this route, you would also see any views you would have seen by taxi.

Just make sure any bus you take from the Shenzhen airport goes to Shenzhen Bay and not Louhu.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by meiguoren
There are cheaper alternatives, such as a bus from the SZX airport to Shenzhen Bay. Haven't taken any of those but believe the direct bus cost around 100RMB. After transiting immigration, there are frequent, numerous buses from the HK side of Shenzhen Bay to various HK points at ~50HKD. Taking this route, you would also see any views you would have seen by taxi.
The direct buses using Shenzhen Bay Crossing are 90RMB or HK$100, and that includes getting to the Elements Mall or Kowloon Tong MTR already. No need to pay extra for another bus.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rkkwan
The direct buses using Shenzhen Bay Crossing are 90RMB or HK$100, and that includes getting to the Elements Mall or Kowloon Tong MTR already. No need to pay extra for another bus.
Thank you all for the info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.