Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

New rule about baggage weight limit in HKG ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist

I was checking in at HKG the other day for my OZ flights to ORD, one of my bag is 34kg instead of 32kg, I am *G and travelling in F, the rule is maximum 32kg = 70lbs for each bag. I told her I could pay for the extras, she keep insisting I couldn't pay for that, and I have to take something off and put it in the other bag, and told me there is a rule in HKG about baggage handlers cannot handle anything more than 32kg. Anyone heard about this ?

I have done many flights on UA and NH in the past in HKG, as recent as last June, never recall this policy. Is this a policy about HKG or OZ ?
Old Feb 12, 2009, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 32kg limit has nothing to do with baggage allowance (that's why you can't pay extra to go around it). It's the internationally-recommended maximum for health and safety in loading a/c. Has been in force throughout the EU for a while (3 yrs?), and it looks like it's now being enacted by HKG authorities.
It may sometimes be inconvenient, but I'm grateful to the people who take care of my stuff and, in hundreds of flights, I've only had things damaged once, and that was as a result of mediocre packing by my friend. So I'm in full support of it. ^
Old Feb 12, 2009, 11:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Nothing new about this - 32kg per bag has been the limit in many places for years unless you make special arrangements in advance. From the Cathay website, for example,
Acceptance of any bag weighing more than 32 kg (70lbs) is subject to prior approval and notification upon booking/reservation. Overweight items will be repacked or split into lighter units during check-in otherwise will not be accepted for carriage.
Or from the BA website:
Any item weighing more than 32kg (70lbs) cannot be accepted as checked baggage.
On the Singapore Air website it is country specific:
In accordance with the local occupational safety rules, passengers travelling to and from Australia, Brunei, New Zealand, South Africa, Sri Lanka, United Arab Emirates and United Kingdom, should note that your checked baggage cannot exceed 32 kg per piece.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Personally am a UA*G for many years, so not sure about other carriers. And as I mentioned in the first post, my last time in HKG in June of last year also have no problem with NH and UA. The OZ agent in HKG may indeed not a true OZ agent, probably from third party from previous experience.

I also know that US and Canada does not have this policy at all. Whatever is over the limit, you pay by the kilo, airlines also earn big bucks from that, isn't that is what airlines nowadays want ? Charging for everything ?
Old Feb 13, 2009, 3:42 am
Suspended

United has a limit - it's 100lb / 45kg for North America and for other countries where there isn't a lower limit.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Whatever is over the limit, you pay by the kilo, airlines also earn big bucks from that, isn't that is what airlines nowadays want ? Charging for everything ?
This has to do with HEALTH AND SAFETY.

Do you fancy manually lifting 50kg suitcases? Thought not.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep
United has a limit - it's 100lb / 45kg for North America and for other countries where there isn't a lower limit.
Good to know, I doubt anyone would have bags that much over weight.

Btw, as I was telling the lady there is no way I can take out anything from my heavy bag to the other bag, both bags are full to the limit, the heavy bag is a 29" and the lighter bag is a 25" weighted 24kg, my mother came to join with me for the explanation, at the end, she called for her supervisor, and let me go without a word. I think this lady is just a bit stinky about weight issue, given I am only 2kg over and travel in F, most airlines would not give a damn about it at all. They care about business rather than this tiny issue.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Feb 13, 2009 at 9:35 am
Old Feb 13, 2009, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by graraps
This has to do with HEALTH AND SAFETY.

Do you fancy manually lifting 50kg suitcases? Thought not.
For the fact, my bag is 34kg, not 50kg, that is a big difference, I am only 2kg over the limit. Airlines will charge an extra seat for a 300lb overweight person, but not to refuse the person to board.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
For the fact, my bag is 34kg, not 50kg, that is a big difference, I am only 2kg over the limit.
Yes, but you understand that a line needs to be drawn somewhere below 50kg, and, TBH, 32kg definitely sounds like a reasonable limit to me. 32kg is definitely more than what I am prepared to lift!
If your suitcase is 32.00001kg, it's still over the limit. A check-in supervisor may be authorised to grant the odd exception, but I'm sure you realise that they can't be regular.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 5:09 pm

I have had this 32-kg limit while travelling in F in many destinations.

The rule is imposed by the Govt/Airport authorities and have nothing to do with airlines or what they earn. The rule is above the airline's authority, unless you qualify for exceptions. Just like baggage must be x-rayed and all travellers must go through security etc.

One higher risk the traveller faces with baggage over the limit (even if supervisor nodded) is that somewhere along the line between HKG and wherever else you may be travelling, the bag goes astray.

You can expect compensation from insurance and/or airline of course.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This is a copy from www.staralliance.com

Star Alliance Gold Benefits
Priority Reservations Waitlisting1 - when there aren't any seats left on your preferred flight, gives you priority should a seat become available.
Priority Airport Standby - gives you top priority when standing-by a flight at the airport.1
Priority Airport Check-in - allows you to check-in at the Business and/or First Class counter
Priority Baggage Handling - like you, your bags get priority treatment and are among the first to be unloaded.
Extra Baggage Allowance - an additional 20kg (44 pounds) or one additional piece of luggage2 which means you can check in three bags instead of two.
Priority Boarding3 - enjoy the freedom of boarding at your convenience along with First and Business Class passengers.
Airport Lounge Access - available worldwide for you and a friend4 when you travel with any Star Alliance member airline, regardless of your class of travel.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 1:51 am
Suspended

Indeed, and most FF schemes have something similar. But your overall baggage allowance says nothing about the weight of any individual item within that allowance.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 2:13 am

Programs: Delta Platinum AA Platinum UA Dirt Grey Marriott Ambassador Hyatt Globalist
I just know that certain destinations are notorious for overweight bags.

DTW is one of them with many travellers visiting the Arabic and African countries you wouldnt believe how much stuff people carry with them.

But LH charges alot of money for weight beyond 32KG I think to a limit of 25 KG (1 extra piece of Baggage, charge varies from 123 -200 USD depending on destination).

That said I doubt they would charge someone travelling F !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.