Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong - One Night Only

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite
Post Hong Kong - One Night Only

I was hoping to solicit some suggestions from the group for choices in Hong Kong for the following (I'm spending a Saturday night there on an upcoming business trip on my way to the next meeting city):

* Hotel
* Dinner
* After dinner drinks

I'd love to stay in a hotel with views of Victoria Harbour but would settle for a dining room or bar with good views.

Thank you all.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:44 pm

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Although I haven't stayed at the Four Seasons Hong Kong I can recommend the Lung King Heen restaurant in this hotel.

http://www.fourseasons.com/hongkong/...king_heen.html

And welcome back to FlyerTalk! Is that a record? Nearly 4 years for your first post!
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:56 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
For the view of Victoria harbor it's hard to beat the InterContinental.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 6:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Marco Polo Hong Kong hotel has great views, and it is considerably less expensive than the others mentioned upthread.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 6:53 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome back to Flyertalk, franpsk
I am moving your thread to the FT Hong Kong Forum for discussion.
See Travel & Dining>The World>China>HKG
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jan 26, 2009, 8:03 pm

Programs: No longer Diamond and missing the good old days of CX
For after dinner drinks, you'd definitely wanna go to Aqua at One Peking Road for unparalled views of the Victoria Harbour. ^
Old Jan 28, 2009, 6:05 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by kchika
For after dinner drinks, you'd definitely wanna go to Aqua at One Peking Road for unparalled views of the Victoria Harbour. ^
You might also consider Felix restaurant and bar on the (nearly) top floor of the Peninsula hotel on Salisbury Road at the foot of Nathan Road, more or less next door to the One Peking Road tower. I've never had dinner there, but I've gone for drinks a number of times. Best at 8:00 pm to see the Symphony of Lights display. Since you're a bit back from the waterfront, as you would be over at Aqua, you can see some of the lights on the Tsim Sha Tsui side as well as those on the opposite side of the Harbour.

The curve of the Four Seasons building and the location of the hotel rooms within the complex mean that FS Harbour View Rooms don't have the standard view of the heart of Victoria Harbour but rather look across to West Kowloon and west into the mouth of the Pearl River Delta. Harbour View Rooms in other hotels in Central, such as the MO and the Landmark MO, or in Wan Chai, such as the Shangri-La, the Conrad, or the JW Marriott, will have better view. Full-frontal Harbour View rooms at hotels in TST, including the Inter-Continental and the Peninsula, are widely regarded as having the best, and most famous, harbour view.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Strawb
Although I haven't stayed at the Four Seasons Hong Kong I can recommend the Lung King Heen restaurant in this hotel.

http://www.fourseasons.com/hongkong/...king_heen.html

And welcome back to FlyerTalk! Is that a record? Nearly 4 years for your first post!
3 michelin stars! but with just one night i'd actually hit up some restaurants in wan chai. lei garden or "spicy crab under bridge"
Old Feb 12, 2009, 2:23 pm

Programs: LH Sen, SPG Platinium, Sixt Platinum
Because the search function does not work, maybe someone here could help me to decide between the Conrad and the W Hotel. The price is quite good on both properties. The W Hotel seems to be more modern, the Conrad has good reviews on tripadvisor et al.
Thx
Old Feb 12, 2009, 11:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
What is important to you? Location? View? Food? Technology?
Old Feb 14, 2009, 4:59 pm

Programs: LH Sen, SPG Platinium, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by christep
What is important to you? Location? View? Food? Technology?
Hi,

I think it’s a bit of all. I’ll stay the two nights before on the Hong Kong side, so a change of location would be interesting maybe. Then the W looks light a bit more designed than the Conrad (what I like) and the last thing would be, that I can take easily the Airtrain, because my plane will leave at 1:30 pm at the next day.
Was just asking if there are any big differences or thinks to watch out.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Thanks for everyone's replies as well. I think I may go in for 2 nights as well. I dont land until 1030pm the first night on a Fri, then depart Sun at 1025am. Thinking of getting a cheap hotel for the first night as I want to be out most of the night then the W the next night.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 11:10 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum AA Platinum UA Dirt Grey Marriott Ambassador Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by chanp
Thanks for everyone's replies as well. I think I may go in for 2 nights as well. I dont land until 1030pm the first night on a Fri, then depart Sun at 1025am. Thinking of getting a cheap hotel for the first night as I want to be out most of the night then the W the next night.
When are you going to HLG ?

I have a similar itinerary the end of FEB and thought about the same strategy.

I wonder how early a hotel let's you check-in. But then I also want to go exploring again over day so it would be a waste. Guess I better cough up a night at a hotel as well as I have 3 nights in total !

The City Garden Hotel which I had the last time operated a shuttle and a taxi was cheap as well.

The Sheraton HKG offers points plus money (90$ plus 4800 points) per night.

Do you know the Prudential Hotel ?
Old Feb 21, 2009, 11:22 am

Programs: A3*G / LH
Originally Posted by Bembel-Terrorist
Hi,

I think it’s a bit of all. I’ll stay the two nights before on the Hong Kong side, so a change of location would be interesting maybe. Then the W looks light a bit more designed than the Conrad (what I like) and the last thing would be, that I can take easily the Airtrain, because my plane will leave at 1:30 pm at the next day.
Was just asking if there are any big differences or thinks to watch out.
Just went to the W Hotel before. It's attached to a MEGAshopping center called Elements. I personally was dissapointed with the cramped and cluttered lobby. This might not reflect the rooms but seeing that the tallest building in Hong Kong is currently being completed outside the hotel, i doubt your views are that great.

I would not be that worried about your trip to the airport. Providing your close to the Airport Express you'll not take more than 20mins to the airport.

I would choose a nice hotel HKisland side, Check in at Airport Express early on the morning of your depature and then have breakfast/lunch/brunch or shop before casually heading toward the airport. --> Remeber you are suitcase-less and you're already checked in.

I am aware that the Conrad is also attached to a shopping center but i would prefer it above the mall to which the W is attached to.

Any other questions welcome :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.