Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plaza Premium Lounge(s) at HK Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2009, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Plaza Premium Lounge(s) at HK Airport

I know that many cards (usually Plat and above) give out this membership - but they differ in that some allow guests whilst others don't and some limit visits or else charge you a fee.

I think the Centurion one allows unlimited visits but charges you for guests. But cannot be sure.

Can I suggest that we post information here as a thread?
Old Jan 21, 2009, 8:47 am
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
many give Priority Pass, while some give Premium Plaza lounges only - so would be useful to distinguish these two. and distinguish between principal vs. supplementary card. and whether there's any spending requirements needed that month / previous year / etc in order to get free access.

and, I'm not aware of any credit card that let you bring a guest with Priority Pass / Premium Plaza ? I think all charge for guests (but stand corrected for this)

yes the Centurion one allows unlimited access, but so do a few others I think. no details here with me, but happy to post what I can find when I'm back home (the details are indeed quite complicated among cards - so I agree this thread would be very useful).
Old Jan 21, 2009, 9:52 am
Suspended

Can I say that the PLaza lounges I have used have been very adequate and when I have paid for them I have been pleased with the service
Old Jan 21, 2009, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tedhl
many give Priority Pass, while some give Premium Plaza lounges only.
What is the difference between the two?
Thank you.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 8:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
What is the difference between the two?
Thank you.
Priority Pass is worldwide, and Premium Plaza Longue are HKG only
Old Jan 21, 2009, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I'm not aware of any that give free access to a companion - both the CitiPremier and CX Amex do so for a fee. However, they do both grant unlimited (actually one visit per day I think) free access for supplementary card holders.

Mrs christep and I used the Plaza Premium at gate 40 for the first time recently and it was fine. A comfortable environment and basic food/drink (soft drinks and beer at breakfast time, but they have other drinks available I believe). It was similar to some of the lesser CX outport J lounges.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 9:08 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
I can give a quick breakdown on what the Amex CX co-brand cards provide:

Elite (the grey-ish one):
Free Priority Pass (worldwide) for the basic card member--you have to enroll with a form which comes in the welcome pack for the credit card--for mine it came in about 10 days.
Free Plaza Premium (mostly Asia and YYZ, YVR) for basic and supplementary card members

Standard (the green one):
2 coupons per year allowing Plaza Premium access. I think these are able to be used between basic and supplementary card members but not given away to non-card members.

The big difference between Priority Pass and Plaza Premium is that Priority Pass typically rides on airline lounges (so in the US, many Northwest WorldClubs are Priority Pass as well), whereas Plaza Premium typically operates its own lounges in airports and then contracts out the space to credit cards and airlines that don't have enough presence to operate their own lounge (so you'll see a huge list of random airlines like Air Niugini, Kathmandu Airlines, Ethiopian, etc at the door of the Plaza Premium lounge).

Plaza Premium also has an arrivals lounge at HKG which is pretty sweet.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Does Priority Pass card enable one also to use the Premium Lounges?

Thank you for clarifying difference between Priority Pass and Premium Lounge.

Can I then assume that the Priority Pass card enables one also to use the Premium Lounges?

Thanks.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 11:02 pm

Programs: Centurion, Lan Platinum, ANA Mileage Club, HHonors D, SPG G
I can confirm the following:

CX Amex Plat Elite allows unlimited usage of Plaza Premium Lounges in all of their outlets

CX Amex (Green one) allows Plaza Premium access Twice a year

Centurion and Platinum Card Members are allowed to bring ONE guest into Plaza Premium.

However, a trick I've done is when travelling with two others, If you have a priority pass, you can use that to get into Plaza Premium, and use your Centurion/Plat for the two guests. HKG are quite lenient about that.

Trick works if you substitute CX Amex with Priority Pass as well. or if you have all three, you could probably bring three guests.

I'll try next time and see how that goes.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 11:06 pm

Programs: Centurion, Lan Platinum, ANA Mileage Club, HHonors D, SPG G
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Thank you for clarifying difference between Priority Pass and Premium Lounge.

Can I then assume that the Priority Pass card enables one also to use the Premium Lounges?

Thanks.
Confirmed!
Old Jan 21, 2009, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Priority Pass has several levels of membership. The lower level ones require you to pay a fee to use one of its member lounges. For basic US members, it's US$27 for member, and same fee for each additional guest.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 11:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by MKE-MR
yes - I think I read that they're also the one who operates the CX Arrivals lounge ? but, I think Priority Pass or credit cards don't usually include access to this arrivals lounge (or they do?)...
Old Jan 21, 2009, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
As this thread is not really about CX, it will be moved to the Travel and Dining - HK forum.

Thx

Guy Betsy
Cathay Pacific Asiamiles forum moderator
Old Jan 21, 2009, 11:31 pm

Programs: CX GR, SPG/MR GE, Ritz Plat, Hilton S
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE71-1/100.07.76; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

Originally Posted by tedhl
Originally Posted by MKE-MR
yes - I think I read that they're also the one who operates the CX Arrivals lounge ? but, I think Priority Pass or credit cards don't usually include access to this arrivals lounge (or they do?)...
please be aware that there are TWO arrivals lounges at HKG, one provided by Cathy Pacific, the other by Plaza Premium.

For CX's one there is enough coverage on this forum, so I will save it.

For PP's arrivals, CX Amex Elite can check one person in, I think the same as Amex Plat. No guest is allowed for free. Also, the lounge has no cooked food or alcohol license yet, so no buffet or bar atm... I would not go there unless I am stuck at HKIA...
Old Jan 22, 2009, 12:36 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by rkkwan
Priority Pass has several levels of membership. The lower level ones require you to pay a fee to use one of its member lounges.
The one that comes with the CX Amex has no fee for unlimited use by the cardholder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.