How much should it cost...?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2009, 9:19 am
gre
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
How much should it cost...?

First time to Hong Kong next week.

I think I have things pretty well figured out except for a couple of things.

We're staying at the Metropark Causeway Bay Hotel (Executive Parlour room for under $200/night). I figure to take the MTR fron HKG to the central station and cab it from there (it'll be night and we will be tired). How much should I expect to pay for the cab ride?

I want to have a few dress shirts made. How much should I pay for high quality broadcloth shirts (and the manes of any good shops would be appreciated)?

I hate tourist restaurants (and their prices). How much should I expect to pay for a decent meal in a non-tourist restaurant?

Any other tips to save a couple of bucks will be appreciated.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
There is no MTR service at the airport.

You'll be riding the Airport Express train to Hong Kong station (connected to, but separate from, Central station). Taxi ride about HK$40-50 to Causeway Bay, depending on traffic.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 5:27 pm

You can buy the Airport Express ticket at the AEL/MTR kiosk immediately after Custom and Excise inspection in the "buffer" area before the public meet and greet arrival area. I suggest that you will buy an Octopus card also and load HK$200 into it. There are several Tourist Passes, check if they are suitable for you.

On departure, there is an A11 Airbus stop almost directly outside the hotel main entrance. It's cheap, comfortable and convenient. I recommend it.

Don't forget to return your Octopus card on departure for refund of any unused stored value and deposit.

There are a wide variety of food and price range. Near the hotel, there is the Kin's Kitchen at 9 Tsing Fung Street. It's local and it's okay when I was there about six months ago. Ask for more specific direction at the hotel, a short 10 minutes' walk. Lot's of eatery at Time Square. A 20~25 minutes walk from MPCB or take the "Happy Valley" tram. Alight on the 1st stop on Percival Street (i.e., immediately after a left turn) and a short 5 minutes' walk. For something simple and local, Shanghainese, the Crystal Jade in the basement (shop B224) at Time Square is not bad. There are 2 supermarkets very near the hotel (Wellcome and Park N Shop) for sundry items.

Sorry - couldn't help you with the tailor.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's also a modern Chinese restaurant called "Wun Sha Kitchen" at 33 Wun Sha Street. 5 minutes walk from the Metropark.

Don't worry about "tourist" restaurants. In Hong Kong, most higher end and expensive restaurants cater to locals. In general a nice meal cost about HK$300 (US$40) sans drink at some of the nicer restaurants. If you eat stuff with expensive ingredients - abalone, special seafood, shark's fin, etc - then the sky is the limit. Ask before your order.

Or I can easily get a dinner for HK$40 (US$5) at many eateries throughout HK.

The A11 stop for the bus from airport is on Causeway Road, outside Victoria Park. Short walk to the hotel, but you have to cross two roadways (with lights). Going from hotel to airport, the walk is shorter and no need to cross major roadways.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by rkkwan
There is no MTR service at the airport.
I fear you are going to confuse people with this statement. The Airport Express line is one of the many lines operated by the MTR Corporation. Why do you insist that it is not part of the MTR?
Old Jan 16, 2009, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by christep
I fear you are going to confuse people with this statement. The Airport Express line is one of the many lines operated by the MTR Corporation. Why do you insist that it is not part of the MTR?
Most people still only call the subway lines "MTR", and not calling the East Rail, West Rail, Ma Rail, Light Rail, NP360 or the "K" buses "MTR". But you're technically correct.

I should have clarified to say that there is no "MTR Subway" service to the airport.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by christep
Picky, picky, picky.....

Rkkwan I knew what you meant! Lot of people are looking for the "cheap" subway ride out of the airport, and they are disapointed with the Airport Express (well just disapointed with the price, the service is fabulous)!
Old Jan 16, 2009, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LongingForORD
Picky, picky, picky.....

Rkkwan I knew what you meant! Lot of people are looking for the "cheap" subway ride out of the airport, and they are disapointed with the Airport Express (well just disapointed with the price, the service is fabulous)!
There's always the S1 bus to Tung Chung MTR...
Old Jan 16, 2009, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by LongingForORD
Picky, picky, picky.....

I've always taken the AE because it's fast and most hotels have shuttles from HK station.

There was a thread some time ago that discussed the cost comparison of AE vs taxi, depending on the number of travelers. I think the taxi worked out to be cheaper maybe?
Old Jan 16, 2009, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ace26
I've always taken the AE because it's fast and most hotels have shuttles from HK station.

There was a thread some time ago that discussed the cost comparison of AE vs taxi, depending on the number of travelers. I think the taxi worked out to be cheaper maybe?
Taxi to Metropark in Causeway Bay maybe around HK$300 now, after the recent taxi fare cut.

There's no free shuttle from the AE Hong Kong station to Metropark. It only goes as far as the Rosedale.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 9:06 pm

"Bulky Objects Not Allowed"

Originally Posted by rkkwan
There's always the S1 bus to Tung Chung MTR...
For those with luggage, please note that "Bulky Objects (are) Not Allowed"! Please refer to clause 1.13.

Visitors to HK may wish to download the MTR Tourist Guide to take with them on their trip.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 2:08 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN
As far as shirts are concerned, you can get very good value ($40-60) at Jantzen Tailor in Central or Sam's Tailor in Kowloon. William Cheng & Son in Kowloon is another option I've heard good things about.

If you're willing to pay $150-ish, I'd suggest Ascot Chang. They have a number of shops around the city; I know of one at the IFC Mall in Central.

In between is David's Shirts. You'll probably pay anywhere from $75 to $150. Their main store is on Kimberley Road in Kowloon.

Whatever you do, DON'T buy anything from the touts who will get in your face every block on Nathan Road. Cheap, but you'll get what you pay for.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:21 pm

Programs: UAL 1K, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by CousinNick
Whatever you do, DON'T buy anything from the touts who will get in your face every block on Nathan Road. Cheap, but you'll get what you pay for.
Think in terms of about 10 of those guys per block. They're a real nusiance. Wave no and say no. Keep moving.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.