Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for an affordable hotel near Central? Budget ~1200HK$

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Looking for an affordable hotel near Central? Budget ~1200HK$

As title reads, i'm looking for a hotel nearby Central with a budget of about 1200 HK$ for one night late January. I usually use asiarooms or hotel.hk for my HK stays, but haven't been impressed with my previous choices (Cosmo, Park Lane, etc). Any views on the renaissance harbor view? All suggestions welcome.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
The Renaissance is a class above the others you have mentioned. $1200 for that would seem very reasonable to me (though I live in HK so just go on what I hear visitors are paying rather than buying myself).
Old Jan 5, 2009, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Depending on the date, you may find hotels that are actually in or closer to Central like the LFK by Rhombus or the Lan Kwai Fong Hotel @ Kau U Fong for that budget (or slightly more).

Anyways, Cosmos is definitely a class below, but what's the problem with the Park Lane?
Old Jan 5, 2009, 2:25 am

Programs: HHonor Gold;Hyatt Diamond;SPG Platinum
If your stay happens to be during the weekend, you may consider Conrad HK.
It's an excellent property and there is currently a decent promo called January sales which give special rates 50% off the prevailing rate.
You can find the rate around HK$1200 in January. Maybe a bit higher. However, it's worth the extra $. Just my two cents.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paranoid
If your stay happens to be during the weekend, you may consider Conrad HK.
It's an excellent property and there is currently a decent promo called January sales which give special rates 50% off the prevailing rate.
You can find the rate around HK$1200 in January. Maybe a bit higher. However, it's worth the extra $. Just my two cents.
unfortunately not there during weekend, too bad...

Park Lane i didn't think was good value for money the time i went. Little shabby and reminded me of too many bad mainland hotels i've stayed at.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by christep
The Renaissance is a class above the others you have mentioned. $1200 for that would seem very reasonable to me (though I live in HK so just go on what I hear visitors are paying rather than buying myself).
If the Renaissance Harborview is the same as the old New World Harborview (adjacent to convention center and Grand Hyatt), I wouldn't necessarily consider it a step up from the Park Lane, POV.

For clean room, free wifi, bkfast included, you might want to consider Holiday Inn Express, behind Times Square. It's definitely not in the same class as the others, but 'efficient' and close to everything in Causeway Bay area.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 8:42 pm

Programs: AC E
I like The Fleming, which is a short 3-5 minute walk from Wan Chai metro. It's a great spot for a business traveler, highly rated on Tripadvisor, super-convenient, and best of all, asiatravel.com is showing their standard rooms for $1188HKD for the next few weeks. The rooms are indeed teeny-weeny (I stayed in the Superior on my last trip and found it small), but the price is right, the location is good, and it's pretty modern.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 9:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dannythecat
I like The Fleming, which is a short 3-5 minute walk from Wan Chai metro. It's a great spot for a business traveler, highly rated on Tripadvisor, super-convenient, and best of all, asiatravel.com is showing their standard rooms for $1188HKD for the next few weeks. The rooms are indeed teeny-weeny (I stayed in the Superior on my last trip and found it small), but the price is right, the location is good, and it's pretty modern.
I stayed in a similar area when I was there last February and got a small room with no view for ~900 HKD in a very clean and nice property. I booked through wotif.com and stayed at Mingle on The Wing. It was about 50 yards from one of the Wan Chai metro exits and served my purposes (clean, cheap and easy) quite well. I actually booked back in for another night later in the trip as I enjoyed it that much.

Last edited by sbm12; Jan 13, 2009 at 9:12 pm
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:03 pm
Suspended

Eh? Mingle on The Wing is in Sheung Wan, not Wan Chai!

It is also well-known to locals for its hourly rates for those needing somewhere with a bed for a few hours!
Old Jan 14, 2009, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by christep
Eh? Mingle on The Wing is in Sheung Wan, not Wan Chai!

It is also well-known to locals for its hourly rates for those needing somewhere with a bed for a few hours!
Oops...my bad on the location. It is still only a stop or two from Central.

I didn't see any hourly guests while I was there. It really was quite fine for my needs.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 10:50 am

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sbm12
Oops...my bad on the location. It is still only a stop or two from Central.

I didn't see any hourly guests while I was there. It really was quite fine for my needs.
Yeah, Sheung Wan is at the end of the Island Line, one stop past Central. And there's a 7-11 AND a Circle K on opposite sides of the street!

I'm a regular at Mingle and I've not seen any hourlies either. Maybe at some of the other "shadier" places around but not Mingle. It's a nice moderately priced hotel, something HK definitely needs more of.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 7:17 pm
Suspended

I can assure you that they are there - I know several people who use it. But by "hourlies" I mean normal professional people who for whatever reason can't use (either of) their homes - remember that HK apartments are very small, often multi-generational, places. I'm not suggesting that people haul sex workers from Wanchai up there very often.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by dtsm
If the Renaissance Harborview is the same as the old New World Harborview (adjacent to convention center and Grand Hyatt), I wouldn't necessarily consider it a step up from the Park Lane, POV.

For clean room, free wifi, bkfast included, you might want to consider Holiday Inn Express, behind Times Square. It's definitely not in the same class as the others, but 'efficient' and close to everything in Causeway Bay area.
I agree, Renaissance Haborview is like a better holiday inn in the US, very 3 star like inside, it is also a UA crew hotel.

Btw, how is the holiday inn express in Times Square compare to any Holiday inn express in the US ? Do you get the same signature warm cinnamon rolls ?
Old Jan 22, 2009, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by abraxis
Yeah, Sheung Wan is at the end of the Island Line, one stop past Central. And there's a 7-11 AND a Circle K on opposite sides of the street!

I'm a regular at Mingle and I've not seen any hourlies either. Maybe at some of the other "shadier" places around but not Mingle. It's a nice moderately priced hotel, something HK definitely needs more of.
There are now two Mingles in SW.

The one that i know is a well known hourly hotel is mingle by mirage (or whatever the name of the bar is next to it), and there is no circle k opposite it (there is a 7/11 though).

the other mingle, i think has a circle k and a 7/11 very close to it.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Btw, how is the holiday inn express in Times Square compare to any Holiday inn express in the US ? Do you get the same signature warm cinnamon rolls ?
Reasonable. Breakfast is a set menu in the restaurant - one option is a hamburger type meal, another scrambled eggs and the other can't recall.

No cinnamon rolls that I recall, but the hotel is nice. Very basic in the rooms (kinda cheap rental furniture/cheap ikea furniture styling) - but nice in a clean sort of way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.