Wiki Posts
Search

HKG - The Best Airport in the World?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2009, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Airport Express to many people is expensive, most locals actually take the A bus into HKIA, as the A bus is cheaper and cover more areas in HK.
Hong Kong people are very price conscious. Especially older ones, like my dad. People like him won't even take the "A" buses, but the "E" ones. Also, because seniors get 1/2 price on buses (or regular MTR), but no discount on the Airport Express.

So, from Kowloon for a senior, you're talking about HK$7 for the E21 or $90 on the AE. It doesn't matter he's spending thousands or tens of thousands on the trip, but they'll take the bus.

And I've brought up that problem already. While the A buses drops off at the departure level at HKG, the E buses drops off on the lower level with no signs and only 2 small elevators to get up to the departure level. It is a horrible setup.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by MTC

As we walked I asked "what about our luggage? We need our summer clothes?" She told me the "people in the basement" have already been notified. AC has informed Cathay Pacific but as a rule CX does not accept to take luggage that have arrived less then 1 hour. Shocked, I replied "CX would accept passengers arriving less than 1 hour but not their luggage?!" She assured me everything possible is being done.
I can assure you that AC did not inform CX of the delayed flight. The people who met you at HKIA were CX employees. They check with connecting flight information and they would be the ones that contacted their luggage hold department to pull your bags from the AC flight and transfer them to the CX flight.

Most asian airports would be able to assist with such tight transfers. The same wouldn't happen if you're connecting in YYZ for example!
Old Jan 16, 2009, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rkkwan
So, from Kowloon for a senior, you're talking about HK$7 for the E21 or $90 on the AE. It doesn't matter he's spending thousands or tens of thousands on the trip, but they'll take the bus.
Which is probably why the Airport Express was ghost town central when I took it last week. In both directions, I got half a carriage to myself...isn't it bloody obvious to them that the service will be more profitable (or require less of a subsidy) to run if they drop the prices to a competitive level in order to attract more pax???
Old Jan 16, 2009, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by graraps
Which is probably why the Airport Express was ghost town central when I took it last week. In both directions, I got half a carriage to myself...isn't it bloody obvious to them that the service will be more profitable (or require less of a subsidy) to run if they drop the prices to a competitive level in order to attract more pax???
Oh its plenty profitable, and I guess you've never taken the AE in the early evenings? No need to attract anybody, enough people take it to make it a real winner for the AE.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by graraps
MTR makes money by selling properties above the stations. Running the trains is secondary.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Pickles
Oh its plenty profitable, and I guess you've never taken the AE in the early evenings? No need to attract anybody, enough people take it to make it a real winner for the AE.
Just busy in the early evening does not make a train profitable, if they are truly profitable, they don't need to do promotions such as riding AE get free transfer to MTR, or sending out buy 1 get 1 free to different local agencies all year round. AE is never popular to locals. A buses are packed basically every routes anytime of the day.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 2:33 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
A buses are packed basically every routes anytime of the day.
Not in my limited experience. I got the A12 in last Monday morning and there were less than 10 people on it until it got to HK Island, then a few more got on for local commutes.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by christep
Not in my limited experience. I got the A12 in last Monday morning and there were less than 10 people on it until it got to HK Island, then a few more got on for local commutes.
A12 is packed in the other direction in the morning. Or I should say from the first bus in the morning left from Siu Sai Wan. In the evening, it is packed from the airport, even with no more room to stand when the bus get to HK island. This is the route I know really well about it.

Remember there is only several big flights from N.America on CX and SQ in the morning.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jan 18, 2009 at 11:36 am
Old Jan 18, 2009, 8:48 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
For corrected information, MTR does NOT pulls into the terminal, it is Airport Express. MTR only goes to Tung Chung. That is what rkkwan mentioned about one of the faulty design of HKIA in post # 10

Airport Express to many people is expensive, most locals actually take the A bus into HKIA, as the A bus is cheaper and cover more areas in HK. Airport Express only goes to Central, then have to tow your luggages through long tunnel to MTR, and still for many people end up another short bus or cab ride. It is indeed one thing HKIA target business travellers than budget or locals. SFO has BART, and ORD has CTA blue line, both are inexpensive compare to Airport Express in HKG.
Hmm, next time I'm not in a hurry, I need to take the bus and check it out. That being said, I love the AE.

The AE though, does go to Kowloon (Elements mall/new Financial Tower) and Tsing Yi. I think the great convenience is that one can check in baggage at the stations and then have a relaxing and quick commute to the airport. I know that's what I like about it.

I have also seen a fair number of minibus stops around town that offer free transport to the AE.

Let's not kid ourselves though. While price conscious about certain things, there are plenty of local HKers who are willing to splash the cash on other things.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 8:57 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Originally Posted by rkkwan
Hong Kong people are very price conscious. Especially older ones, like my dad. People like him won't even take the "A" buses, but the "E" ones. Also, because seniors get 1/2 price on buses (or regular MTR), but no discount on the Airport Express.

No kidding. My parents just gave me a long speech 2 weeks ago about taking AE. How extravagant! THey'll probably pass out if I tell them it cost me US$2 to take the NY subway home from JFK.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jamoldo
The AE though, does go to Kowloon (Elements mall/new Financial Tower) and Tsing Yi. I think the great convenience is that one can check in baggage at the stations and then have a relaxing and quick commute to the airport. I know that's what I like about it.
That's why AE is mostly design for business travelers, it stationed at the financial district area. Also, not all airline can checkin at the AE stations. For me, there is a A bus bus-stop 5 min from my parent's home, if I decide to take the AE, I have to tow my luggage on a 15min + walk plus many stairs to a MTR station first, then stuck in a crowded MTR train in the morning until it get to Central.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 10:10 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Oh please, what a load of dung. HKG is just another airport.

Rkkwan provided a detailed account of the facilities' deficiencies. And let me add that the lack of duty-free booze when flying US-based carriers to the US is pathetic.

A couple of days ago I was trying to use up my last HK$ buying some mini booze bottles )that would have fit into my quart ziplock bag meeting even this requirement for liquids) when the saleslady literally ripped the bottles out of my hand upon asking my destination.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 10:14 am

Programs: AA 3MMF EXP, UA 1MMF
Originally Posted by gre
Oh please, what a load of dung. HKG is just another airport.

A couple of days ago I was trying to use up my last HK$ buying some mini booze bottles )that would have fit into my quart ziplock bag meeting even this requirement for liquids) when the saleslady literally ripped the bottles out of my hand upon asking my destination.
Oh, then that changes everything about the airport!
Old Jan 30, 2009, 12:40 pm
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Originally Posted by lance1713
Oh, then that changes everything about the airport!
As I posted, rkkwan pretty well described the airport.

I believed all this gushing praise and actually showed up at the airport several hours early just to check it out. After hours of exploring and checking out the *A lounges (best RCC, worst SQ lounge I've been in) the thing that most impressed me was how the swarm of UA gate agents tried to herd up the pax into not-so-little loading groups (with some success) without the use of ropes or corrals.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 1:42 pm

Programs: United 1K GS, USAIR, Delta
Love HKG but SIN is the best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.