warning - HK airport rigorously enforcing 1 x hand luggage rule

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

warning - HK airport rigorously enforcing 1 x hand luggage rule

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2008, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
I thought UA checked everyone's bag. Maybe they relaxed things there.
Me too. I always get checked.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by christep
I have never had any trouble carrying two bags and I have never seen anyone else have any (my wife regularly carries a 20" rollaboard, a laptop case and a handbag with no problems)
Same here. I sometimes carry two bags and never had problems as well.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by i'mlovin'it
Me too. I always get checked.
I flew UA 862 last Sunday and everybody's carry-on was checked at the ramp, just like before.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wilp888
I flew UA 862 last Sunday and everybody's carry-on was checked at the ramp, just like before.
Strange. I was on 862 on Tuesday and it was as I described.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by wilp888
The SOP on the jetway for UA flights out of HKG is everyone who has a carry on bag gets "searched". Oftentimes the search is nothing more than partially unzipping one zipper, pretending to look inside, and then rezipping. My bag usually gets "checked" in under 15 seconds from being set down on the table to being waived on (and most of that time is due to a sticky zipper). And my second carryon (a laptop bag) rarely gets looked at.

They do occasionally spend more time and dig deeper depending on profiles, pax reactions, pax volunteering up liquids, random spot checks and/or their level of boredom. But overall it's just theater.

You'd have to be pretty incomptent if you really wanted to get something past these jetway checks and couldn't.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 10:48 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
I Think they might be looking mainly for LAGs (liquids, aerosols and gels)

97. Can passengers bring LAG items purchased at HKIA onto their departing flight? Yes, passengers can bring LAG items purchased at shops located beyond the security screening check points at HKIA on board their departing flight, each container however must be no more than 100ml.

A coke can is 330ml. So maybe they wouldn't check something like a slim laptop bag? Just speculation though.

http://www.cad.gov.hk/english/faq.html#LAG
Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Yes, but it is only on US-bound flights. Adds to the whole theater aspect of it.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 4:28 pm

Yes, they are "looking" mainly for LAGs on the departures to the US. But laughably so.

The theater usually goes like this:

1) The screener asks me to step over

[ 1.5 The screener discreetly looks me over and evaluates "the threat" as I walk over]

2) I place my carryon on the table in front of the screener

3) The screener usually then apologizes for the inconvenience and starts to unzip the bag

4) The bag gets partially unzipped.

5) *If* the screener even bothers to lift the flap, they quickly stop looking as soon as they see the clear ziploc bag containing some toothpaste and deodarant at the top lying on top of a travel pillow.

6) The bag is quickly rezipped and I'm sent onto the plane.

What's usually under the travel pillow is a whole lot of electronic devices. And a couple of cans or bottles of beverage picked up inside HKIA.

The screeners don't even ask me whether I have any liquids with me these days. If they did ask, I'd give them up. But they don't ask or find, so I don't.

Apparently I don't fit their profile of interest or concern. They seem to be far more interested in hassling casual travellers, family groups, or anyone who rocks up carrying a backpack with a Nalgene bottle in an outside pocket.

It's all very silly.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 1:59 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Pickles
Yes, but it is only on US-bound flights. Adds to the whole theater aspect of it.
US-bound flights, Australia-bound flights, US airlines.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 2:04 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
Same here. I sometimes carry two bags and never had problems as well.
Not if they recognise one of them as a personal item. I once carried three items total - one very small carry-on, one small laptop, and a very small extra item. I got an exception tag from CX. The guard immediately asked for the tag before I could take the third item in.

If I feel I may be stopped, I may as well ask for the tag at check-in.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wasn't referring to 2 bags + an additional personal item. I always keep my laptop inside the carryon when passing through security and only take them out when instructed to. Never have I been questioned about the quantity I am bringing with me.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
US-bound flights, Australia-bound flights, US airlines.
Interesting to note that when UA was flying HKG-NRT, even if you terminate at NRT, you still have to go through the same process as to US. That's why for now if I go to US, I would choose to connect in NRT through NH, as flying NH does not need to be checked my carryons.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Interesting to note that when UA was flying HKG-NRT, even if you terminate at NRT, you still have to go through the same process as to US. That's why for now if I go to US, I would choose to connect in NRT through NH, as flying NH does not need to be checked my carryons.
There are probably 10 other reasons why flying with NH is better than with UA.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Not if they recognise one of them as a personal item. I once carried three items total - one very small carry-on, one small laptop, and a very small extra item. I got an exception tag from CX. The guard immediately asked for the tag before I could take the third item in.

If I feel I may be stopped, I may as well ask for the tag at check-in.
The rule is one carry on bag (If you hold a first class ticket then 2 carry ons.) of the appropriate size (needs to fit into their box, bot they only check if it is too obvious), plus one laptop bag plus one camera (bag).

It is not at the security check where they stop you (once you get there yuo'll be fine), but before you enter immigration where they check the tickets (and handluggage).
If they stop you in terminal one, you have a second chance by trying the other one of the 2 available entrances (It helps being last minute).

Not sure about Terminal 2.

Hong Kong is the strictest place I know, having handluggage checked by the airport authorities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.