Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

24hrs in HKG - want to do something different.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

24hrs in HKG - want to do something different.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2008, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
There are many more alternatives I can name. For example, Cheung Chau. It is more crowded and has a different feel than Lamma, as it's still a working fishing village with lots of local residents. Some hiking trails on that island as well.

Or visit the Museum of Coastal Defense. About 15 walk from the Shau Kei Wan MTR or tram terminal. Some of the exhibits about WWII are similar to those in the Museum of History, but it's set in a real fort over Lei Yue Mun at the eastern entrance of the Victoria Harbour.

Last edited by rkkwan; Nov 8, 2008 at 9:54 pm
Old Nov 8, 2008, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by rkkwan
Or visit the Museum of Coastal Defense. About 15 walk from the Shau Kei Wan MTR or tram terminal. Some of the exhibits about WWII are similar to those in the Museum History, but it's set in a real fort over Lei Yue Mun at the eastern entrance of the Victoria Harbour.
A great museum with an interesting angle on HK history looking specifically on coastal defence history. I found it especially interesting that so much of the material paints HK and Chinese as victims of British aggression; there's some truth to that of course. My parents (HK natives) found it particularly nostalgic.

When you leave, go down the main entry desk and they will happily call you a taxi, if you don't want to walk back.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ace26
When you leave, go down the main entry desk and they will happily call you a taxi, if you don't want to walk back.
There's also bus #85 to/from Sai Wan Ho MTR, but it's pretty infrequent. That walk from Shau Kei Wan is actually somewhat interesting. You will pass by some repair shops for fishing boats, a small Tam Kung Temple, and on "Shau Kei Wan Main Street East" many Chiu Chow noodle shops that sell excellent fishball noodles.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 5:03 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by silverkris168
FILTH=Failed in London, Try Hong Kong. A disparaging description of ne'er do well expats.

The Singaporean version is PIGS = Perth Impossible, Go Singapore.
Stateside, we just call them losers that couldn't make it in the States or Canada, so they end up teaching ESL is Asia. You guys think up some of the most interesting acronyms.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Have been to the history museum twice - it's great, but we're now thinking...

Along to coastal defences museum then round to Shek O for lunch, on to Stanley for a browse then back to Central.

However this doesn't account for the fact we have a table booked at Felix on the previous evening so that may set teh schedule adrift somewhat...
Old Nov 10, 2008, 9:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Have been to the history museum twice - it's great, but we're now thinking...

Along to coastal defences museum then round to Shek O for lunch, on to Stanley for a browse then back to Central.

However this doesn't account for the fact we have a table booked at Felix on the previous evening so that may set teh schedule adrift somewhat...
Please note that there's no direct transport from Shek O to Stanley, the only options are taxi or bus #9 switch to #14
Old Nov 10, 2008, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

thanks - will i get a cab ok as Shek O?
Old Nov 10, 2008, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
thanks - will i get a cab ok as Shek O?
Shouldn't be a problem. There will be a few people taking cabs into Shek O, and drivers usually wait around there for a while, hoping to get a fare out of there.

I took it from Shek O to Stanley once. I think it was around HK$80 to $100.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OK, just a quick bit of feedback...

We took the tram from Queensway all the way to the terminus. Interesting watching the building density decrease (a bit) the further along you get.

Straight onto a bus there and down to Shek O. Quite busy at the picnic area but most of the restaurants seemed closed - it was still before midday at this point. Nice enough place, a bit more rustic than I would have imagined but would happily venture back.

Managed to find a taxi in the car park but no driver. Had to wait a while for him to show up (came running over - had been having a cigarette on the sea wall I think). The new tariff made it HK$90 to Stanley.

Did some shopping and had some lunch then over to Central to finish off some other bits. Got back to the hotel at 5pm, so not really enough time to have gone to the coastal defence museum too...

Thanks again for the input.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 8:17 pm

Programs: MPC
Shek O road is good for a burn-up. Before they straightened the kink in the road before the 180 down to the beach, you could actually fly off. Very dangerous if you didn't know the road.

I love coming up from the beach on my bike and blasting past 4 or 5 in a row.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.