Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Where to buy postcard stamps on a weekend?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2008, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold

I feel silly asking this question, but thought maybe someone else could benefit from the info.

I arrive HKG late on a Friday night, will depart early Monday morning and want to be sure I get postcards mailed in such short time.

I checked HongKongPost.com for office locations (and map), but it's unclear to me if purchasing postage is possible Saturday mornings.

I also see there are Post Offices at the airport. Are they coin-operated?

Or do most hotels have postage available for purchase?

Last edited by boxo; Apr 2, 2008 at 7:34 pm
Old Apr 2, 2008, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
From that link, you should see that most of the post offices are open 9:30a - 1p on Saturday. General post office in Central is open late Saturday and even open on Sunday.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by rkkwan
From that link, you should see that most of the post offices are open 9:30a - 1p on Saturday. General post office in Central is open late Saturday and even open on Sunday.
And if closed, the larger post offices (Central, TST) have vending machines. The stamps out of the machines are not beautiful though. The amount is computer printed on them.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Well, post office's doors can be unlocked and not be open to sell postage. Know what I mean? And the three columns of services list: bulk mail acceptance, PO box access and Philately. The entire thing was unclear to me. Thanks.

Good to know there are vending machines in case of last resort.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Those hours listed are when the counters are open. No need to worry about that!
Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
You can buy postage stamps in most convenience stores. All 7-11s have them and are open 24*7. They come in books of 10*$1.4 (for local mail) and 10*$3 for international. The books have guidance on the actual postage required by weight for larger items.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep
You can buy postage stamps in most convenience stores. All 7-11s have them and are open 24*7. They come in books of 10*$1.4 (for local mail) and 10*$3 for international. The books have guidance on the actual postage required by weight for larger items.
Oh, that's even better! I won't have to search out a post office location, but just veer off to any 7-11. Thanks! ^
Old Apr 3, 2008, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I actually had trouble finding post cards to send, and ended up at the Mandarin Oriental. They also were able to sell me the stamps from the concierge, cash only, and post them for me.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 3:32 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Most hotels will sell stamps to you. I've done that in RC, Langham and Sheraton.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by christep
Wish I had known this on several previous occasions.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 6:13 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Originally Posted by adamak
Most hotels will sell stamps to you. I've done that in RC, Langham and Sheraton.
Most hotels are willing to sell you the stamp AND mail it for you.

Lot easier that way.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
I actually had trouble finding post cards to send...
sbm12, were you not in touristy areas?

I'm feeling a little less silly for asking my question (OP). Thanks to everyone for your help.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by boxo
sbm12, were you not in touristy areas?

I'm feeling a little less silly for asking my question (OP). Thanks to everyone for your help.
I don't know what my problem was, but I wasn't finding them. I saw some one day and then figured it wouldn't be too hard and never saw any again after that. A couple hotels didn't have them. I couldn't find a gift shop open (it was 8am when I finally HAD to find some) anywhere. Ultimately I found some and it wasn't a big deal, but I was surprised at how hard it was to find them on the island (near Central/Wan Chai).
Old Apr 7, 2008, 9:06 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Thinking about it I can see that this isn't obvious... places I would go for postcards include:
- the Peak Tram station
- Dymocks bookshop in IFC mall
- the bookshop at the TST Star Ferry pier
- The HK Tourist Authority places listed here.
- various shops arond Stanley
- various places at Ngong Ping (Big Buddha)
- various places at the Airport

Note that there is a post box airside at HKG and you can certainly buy stamps from the office & machine landside and, I think, from a machine airside.
http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/t...inal1_post.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.