Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Restaurants in Hong Kong: Received three suggestions. Other suggestions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2007, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: EXEC CLUB

hi, next week i'll be in hk for four days.
i've never eaten chinese or cantonese food.
a friend of mine who often goes to hk gave me 3 names:
tang court; spring moon and hutong;

what's your suggestion?

do you have other names?

thanks in advance

gio
Old Aug 8, 2007, 3:24 pm

Take a few moments to search this thread - I recall at least 2 maybe 3 threads devoted to restaurants in HK.

If you're staying on the HK island side, search 'time square' for list of restaurants close by (I started the thread back in late March or early April)....
Old Aug 8, 2007, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I have to say that I am quite astonished that there are international travellers in the world who have never eaten Chinese food! I have never found any gathering of humanity of more than a few thousand people anywhere in the world that didn't have a Chinese restaurant!
Old Aug 8, 2007, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, Leaders Club
T'ang Court in the Langham Hotel, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon is the one that I will recommend. It is also the restaurant that I frequent. Their food is not very oily, as well as very tasty. However, it is recommended that you make a reservation a day in advance if you want to dine in regular dinner hours, ie from 6pm-7pm, since they only serve around 12 tables per night for regular dinner hour. If not, you can always wait until after around 8pm for a table. However, it is still wise to make a reservation even if you want to dine at 8pm. I sometimes arrive at 8:45pm with a reservation, and the restaurant is still full. Of course I get a table immediately since I have reserved one. One point to notice is that the restaurant will only hold a table for 15 minutes pass the reservation time.

They have a specialty chicken that you need to reserve in advance. If you have heard of Peking duck, it is Peking duck style, but the ingredieht is chicken. It is really tasty. Also, the wonton soup with noodle is also very good. The price is not that bad, if you are not ordering lobster or seafood. It will be around USD 40 per person without seafood. Expect to pay double, triple or more if you include seafood/ shark fin soup/ bird nest soup etc. They have a set dinner for two, which is USD 110.

For dim sum, T'ang Court is also a nice choice, but for a "more" traditional experience, I recommned the Maxims Palace Restaurant located in the City Hall, Central, Hong Kong Island. Beware that the queue for dim sum lunch is ususally at least one hour waiting time during weekends. However, it worths the wait. Price is quite steep though for a regular chinese restaurant. Dim Sum ranges from around USD 3 - USD 6 per dish. A purely dim sum lunch for 2 will be around USD 30.

For Spring Moon, I will recommend only if you like to dine in vert nicely appointed places, but disregard the quality of food. I have ALWAYS found Spring Moon very disappointing in terms of food quality, and they tend to overcharge a lot. My brother and I went there for a dinner, and paid USD 125, but we only ordered soup, shrimp, a vegetable dish and tea. Food quality was quite bad, and the service was just "so so" as well. However, the decoration is interesting and quite traditional.

Last edited by hugochan; Aug 8, 2007 at 11:08 pm
Old Aug 9, 2007, 2:30 pm

Programs: Marriott rewards, SPG
there's a place that's rather pricey but very good. it's called under bridge and they serve seafood as their specialty. they're on 429 lockhart in Wan Chai.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 5:53 pm

/edit

Last edited by bjorn_brown; May 13, 2009 at 2:46 pm
Old Aug 12, 2007, 12:26 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Plat, AS
hugochan.

thanks for the suggestions.

Ryan
Old Aug 14, 2007, 3:11 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
If you're on Kowloon side, Shang Palace at the Shangri-La is a great experience for lunch. I felt it was reasonably priced. The food was excellent, the restaurant is gorgeous, the service is spot-on and the bill for two including drinks and quite a lot of Dim Sum was $35. Naturally, english is spoken and is on the menu. Tea, of course, is also included but heathen that I am as hot as it was I had to have a beer or two.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 3:13 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
The Cantonese place at the FS on the HKI side is fantastic!
Old Aug 20, 2007, 9:32 am

Yung Kee, the famous roast goose restaurant, in Central (right next to Lan Kwai Fong) is a must try IMO.

Great roast goose is their specialty, but they also whip up every good cantonese dishes. Dau miu with crab sauce is my fave ^

Gets very crowded at dinner, so you should call ahead.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 10:23 am

Programs: UA 2MM 1k, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Another vote for Tang Court. It's got that rare combination of great food, nice ambiance and good service. Ever since the 90's, I try to stop by everytime when I am in HK. Agree with Hugo about the specialty chicken - it's one of my favorite dishes there.

Another place is the Chinese restaurant at the Intercontinental (note: NOT the Grand Stanford IC). It changed its name and I think it's called "Yan Toh Heen" now. The ambiance is great and you get amazing views of the harbor. The food is more innovative and they incorporate various in-season ingredients (such as lychee) into their dinner menu.

Yung Kee is a classic HK restaurant and I love their "thousand-year eggs" there (be careful, it's an acquired taste). However, the decor and service are not at the same level as the other hotel-affiliated restaurants.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 8:31 am

Programs: CX Diamond
The Red Pepper in Causeway Bay or the American Restaurant in Wan Chai are always good. Also the Peking Garden in the basement of Alexandra house in Central.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 8:56 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by mdevans
The Red Pepper in Causeway Bay or the American Restaurant in Wan Chai are always good. Also the Peking Garden in the basement of Alexandra house in Central.
I'll second Red Pepper in Causeway Bay, especially their signature sizzling prawns in chili sauce (or something like that). It's written up in many guidebooks, so it has a lot of foreigners/tourists. Because Sichuan cuisine has supposedly fallen out of favor among HKers, not many locals. There's also a very good primarily Sichuanese spot with a Chinese name (I forget) and no noticeable sign out front but nevertheless easy to find location on either Peel Street or Aberdeen Street fairly high up the Peak in the farther reaches of Mid-Levels, west of the escalator. Our concierge sent us there when Hutong was booked, and we quite enjoyed it.

For basic and accessible Chinese of various kinds, I believe most of the three or four large restaurants in Star House (just behind the Star Ferry Pier in TST) are good enough, not particularly expensive, and welcome foreigners.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
There's also a very good primarily Sichuanese spot with a Chinese name (I forget) and no noticeable sign out front but nevertheless easy to find location on either Peel Street or Aberdeen Street fairly high up the Peak in the farther reaches of Mid-Levels, west of the escalator.
It's in Peel Street, just off the western end of SoHo.

(That's not Mid-levels, by the way - Mid-Levels is the area above Caine Road. Between Hollywood and Caine is SoHo, below Hollywood is NoHo.)
Old Aug 26, 2007, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
What part of Hong Kong / Kowloon are you staying? What is your comfort zone for meal prices?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.