Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum Hong Kong Intl. Airport Connection Time

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2006, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Minimum Hong Kong Intl. Airport Connection Time

Hi all,

I'll be arriving at HKG at 11:25AM on China Southern CZ3029 from Sanya, China and will be connecting to TG601, which departs HKG at 12:45PM for Bangkok. That only provides me with a 1:20 transit. The TG flight is a UA mileage award in business.

I have the following concerns and question. Hopefully I can get some feedback from you all.

1. What is the legal connection time at HKG?

2. Does China Southern have a baggage agreement with TG to check my bags through to Bangkok?

3. If I miss my TG flight, will UA cancel my onward travel on my remaining segments? The UA agent who issued my award ticket said that changes can only be made before travel begins. Has anyone had any experience in missing a segment on UA award travel?

I know I could change my award ticket for the next 3PM TG flight to Bangkok before I leave but I really would like to avoid the long layover.

Your feedback and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Old Oct 20, 2006, 2:20 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Since this is not UA specific, I am going to move this to the Hong Kong forum. Thanks for your understanding

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Old Oct 20, 2006, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
1. I believe the minimum legal interline is 60 mins, so if the CZ runs at or close to schedule than you will be fine. HKG is a very efficient airport - CX to CX MCT, for example, is only 45 mins.

2. Not sure, but I'd be very surprised if not since CZ looks generally like a full carrier. Maybe others can confirm.

3. That is a UA specific question, but if this is the first segment of the award then it is definitely a risk in principle, but I'm pretty sure you'd be able to sort it out at the UA transfer desk or lounge at HKG.

On the other hand, a 3:35 layover at HKG isn't too bad a thing - there is lots of shopping, eating, internet cafes, etc. even if you don't have lounge access.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 4:20 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Is the MCT still as per this thread (it is a few years old now).

I'm looking at OZ to LX following the route ICN-HKG-ZRH.
The connection would be 50 minutes, another option would be 45 minutes.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:35 pm

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jbfield
Is the MCT still as per this thread (it is a few years old now).

I'm looking at OZ to LX following the route ICN-HKG-ZRH.
The connection would be 50 minutes, another option would be 45 minutes.
MCT is still 60 minutes for non-CX/KA connections.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Is it correct that the CX to CX MCT ist still set at 50 Minutes in HKG?

Talking about a connection NGO-TPE-HKG (one flight #)-PER

The CX website lists tons of weird connection references but I can't get a clue out of it. What does CX Interline / CX Online mean ?

Thanks for any insight...

S
Old Aug 27, 2011, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

CX-CX MCT has not been changed. Always 50 min.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 8:30 am

Help Please

I arrive to HKG on AC (J) at 5:30pm and connecting on UL (J) at 6:20pm on a separate PNR. I'll have carryon only. Questions:

1) is the above a legal MCT?
2) do I have to go to any transfer desks to pickup my UL J BP or show up at the gate?
3) How far apart are AC 007 arr and UL 423 dep gates from each other? Is it 10 min or more?

TIA for your help.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 1:02 am
Suspended

1) For airlines other than CX/KA it's below MCT (60 mins), but if there are no delays you should just about make it.

2) Yes, you need to go to a transfer desk to get a BP and then go through transfer security to get from the arrivals level to the departures level.

3) No way of being sure about gates, and it is the distance via the transfer desk and the transfer security that is important.

Full details of the transfer/transit procedure here: http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/p...rocedures.html with links to maps and stuff.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 6:46 am

Thank you christep ^
Old Sep 19, 2011, 2:52 pm

I recently connected through and had less than 2 hours on CX. I think it was 100 minutes. My luggage was checked through and I managed an hour in the Travellers lounge. However, I nearly missed my flight because I was so enthralled in watching a woman throw a hissy fit over access for her boyfriend on her citibank card.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat, HHonors Gold, PC Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by christep
1) For airlines other than CX/KA it's below MCT (60 mins), but if there are no delays you should just about make it.
Where is the reference for this? I saw it in other posts as well. I'd like to do a *A connection with SQ and NH that is only 55 mins. I couldn't find any mention of a 60 min MCT on the HK airport website.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 11:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

If you check the airline booking system, CX/KA is always 50 min and 60 min for the majority rest (ferry and some other have some special arrangement)

I will say 55 min you will get bounced when you try to tag though the luggage.
Old May 23, 2015, 6:09 am

Programs: DL Diamond + 1MM; AA Gold; UA Gold
MCT CX to KA

Hello, I'm connect in HKG with 70 minutes between arrival from JFK on CX with a switch to a KA flight... Will be in J on the CX leg...

Is this enough time to make the switch assuming everything is on-time?
Old May 23, 2015, 6:55 am
Suspended

Yes, no problem. Minimum connecting time at HKG for CX-KA is (if I recall correctly) 45 minutes. In the past my checked baggage has made it even with a delay leaving only 25 minutes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.