Search

Best options for eSIM card in HKG?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2023, 10:34 pm
dtc
Original Poster

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
Best options for eSIM card in HKG?

It looks like I might be in HKG for 3 weeks this summer. The world has changed a bit since I last went. My iPhone 14 doesn't have a physical sim card slot for my collection of expired HK sim cards. I hear there's new ID requirements in HK as well to get a sim card. I looked at Airalo and their great 30 day / 10GB plan, but there's no voice.

What's the current recommendation for an eSIM card that has both data and voice?
Old Apr 18, 2023, 11:56 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by dtc
It looks like I might be in HKG for 3 weeks this summer. The world has changed a bit since I last went. My iPhone 14 doesn't have a physical sim card slot for my collection of expired HK sim cards. I hear there's new ID requirements in HK as well to get a sim card. I looked at Airalo and their great 30 day / 10GB plan, but there's no voice.

What's the current recommendation for an eSIM card that has both data and voice?
3Sim HK has an amazing $33 plan with 50 GB/5000 min valid for 30 days.
Available at Parknshop
Old May 18, 2023, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by maalloc
3Sim HK has an amazing $33 plan with 50 GB/5000 min valid for 30 days.
Available at Parknshop
Is that SIM reloadable or for one-time use?
Old May 18, 2023, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
Is that SIM reloadable or for one-time use?
You can top it up using the 3HK app.
You might need a local phone to download the app though - I have to ask a friend to do it for me every time I come since the app won't show up on the French iOS App Store.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 18, 2023, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can top it up using the 3HK app.
You might need a local phone to download the app though - I have to ask a friend to do it for me every time I come since the app won't show up on the French iOS App Store.
What do you mean by topping it up? It seems like prepaid plans in Asia are different from the US. So please help me understand here. For example, in the US, AT&T offers an unlimited prepaid plan for like $65/month. It includes certain features like unlimited data and minutes within the US. I don't really hear people use topup over here, but with my example, I pay the exact amount every month.

Now, you said the 3HK plan is HK$33 with 50 GB/5000. When you say top-up, do you mean I add another HK$33 and I'll get another 50GB? I don't know if your definition of topup is the same as reloadable.
Old May 18, 2023, 3:59 am

Now, you said the 3HK plan is HK$33 with 50 GB/5000. When you say top-up, do you mean I add another HK$33 and I'll get another 50GB? I don't know if your definition of topup is the same as reloadable.
Exactly. For months now, 3HK has had this "special" that gives dozens of GB for HK$33, valid for 30 days.
Your first step would be to buy a SIM card at a physical location and upload your passport picture. Then you're all set for 30 days.

Later on, you can re-use the same +852 number (for up to 6 months IIRC, could be 12) and add another HK$33 to your 3HK wallet. Use this amount in your 3HK wallet to buy the "special" again (it's a 2-step process that can be confusing at first), and you are set for another 30 days.

I haven't been in HK for a few weeks so I don't know it the offer is still available in May '23, but I can give you an update when I arrive next week if needed. I also haven't tried to buy the package again within the validity period, since I never use more than 1 GB per day anyway, so I can't tell for sure whether you can use it 2x within 30 days, if that's what you are asking.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 18, 2023, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exactly. For months now, 3HK has had this "special" that gives dozens of GB for HK$33, valid for 30 days.
Your first step would be to buy a SIM card at a physical location and upload your passport picture. Then you're all set for 30 days.

Later on, you can re-use the same +852 number (for up to 6 months IIRC, could be 12) and add another HK$33 to your 3HK wallet. Use this amount in your 3HK wallet to buy the "special" again (it's a 2-step process that can be confusing at first), and you are set for another 30 days.

I haven't been in HK for a few weeks so I don't know it the offer is still available in May '23, but I can give you an update when I arrive next week if needed. I also haven't tried to buy the package again within the validity period, since I never use more than 1 GB per day anyway, so I can't tell for sure whether you can use it 2x within 30 days, if that's what you are asking.
I can't keep my prepaid number indefinitely? Or do you mean I could go up to 6 months without paying, but no service?

Is there roaming? If not, what's the best prepaid with roaming ability in Asia?

Can I reload online with a foreign credit card?
Old May 18, 2023, 4:48 am

I can't keep my prepaid number indefinitely? Or do you mean I could go up to 6 months without paying, but no service?
The latter. You will keep your phone number and will be able to receive SMS, but you won't be able to call or use data after 30 days.

Is there roaming? If not, what's the best prepaid with roaming ability in Asia?
Yes, 3HK does provide roaming, but the fare is not that interesting (see pre-paid packages here)
For instance, I'm heading to Thailand before coming back to HK as we speak, and I'm getting a SIM there. Even for just a few days, 3HK roaming is more expensive than getting a local number.

Can I reload online with a foreign credit card?
You can reload from the app with a foreign card for sure. Not sure about a web interface.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 18, 2023, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The latter. You will keep your phone number and will be able to receive SMS, but you won't be able to call or use data after 30 days.

Yes, 3HK does provide roaming, but the fare is not that interesting (see pre-paid packages here)
For instance, I'm heading to Thailand before coming back to HK as we speak, and I'm getting a SIM there. Even for just a few days, 3HK roaming is more expensive than getting a local number.

You can reload from the app with a foreign card for sure. Not sure about a web interface.
HK$33 is indeed very cheap for an insane amount of data. What other features does the plan have that may be of use to me? No free roaming in Macau or China? Can I receive free SMS outside of Hong Kong? Are you able to confirm it's 6 or 12 months? With regards to pricing, I'm assuming that it's only temporary and that the next time I reload, it may be more expensive? What's the regular price? When buying the SIM, do I pay at the store and hand over my passport? I'm a little confused on that.

Thank you so much!
Old May 18, 2023, 5:14 am

HK$33 is indeed very cheap for an insane amount of data. What other features does the plan have that may be of use to me? No free roaming in Macau or China? Can I receive free SMS outside of Hong Kong? Are you able to confirm it's 6 or 12 months? With regards to pricing, I'm assuming that it's only temporary and that the next time I reload, it may be more expensive? What's the regular price? When buying the SIM, do I pay at the store and hand over my passport? I'm a little confused on that.

Thank you so much!
Hey, HKD33 for one month of data is already an amazing deal.
It's less than your cheap point-point-rice meal in Kowloon... don't expect anything more

(ie. that's a "no" for every question, and a "you'll see" when it comes to pricing in the future)

For the SIM purchase, you buy it at the parknshop cashier, they hand you out the card, you put it in your phone and you receive a SMS with a link that you click on to upload a picture of your passport. Then your data plan is enabled and you're good to go.
Don't sweat it, it's really straightforward and cheap. Compared to other SEA countries, it's a bliss.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 18, 2023, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey, HKD33 for one month of data is already an amazing deal.
It's less than your cheap point-point-rice meal in Kowloon... don't expect anything more

(ie. that's a "no" for every question, and a "you'll see" when it comes to pricing in the future)

For the SIM purchase, you buy it at the parknshop cashier, they hand you out the card, you put it in your phone and you receive a SMS with a link that you click on to upload a picture of your passport. Then your data plan is enabled and you're good to go.
Don't sweat it, it's really straightforward and cheap. Compared to other SEA countries, it's a bliss.
If I don't have a roaming package, I'm assuming the SIM is totally useless since I can't receive free SMS? Besides people calling me and making local calls, what other advantage is there with an 852 number? Can I pick the number or each SIM is tied to a number? I'm surprised the roaming packages aren't cheaper than a Thai SIM. Which Thai SIM are you getting and how much? The APAC package seems reasonable. Oh, does the HK$33 plan have any China call or international options? If so, is the rate any good? Unlimited free outgoing SMS?

Just to be clear, after buying the HK SIM, I can do the passport verification in my hotel room? Take a pic with my phone and upload it? Then instant activation and I can start using it?
Old May 18, 2023, 5:38 am

If I don't have a roaming package, I'm assuming the SIM is totally useless since I can't receive free SMS? Besides people calling me and making local calls, what other advantage is there with an 852 number? Can I pick the number or each SIM is tied to a number? I'm surprised the roaming packages aren't cheaper than a Thai SIM. Which Thai SIM are you getting and how much? The APAC package seems reasonable. Oh, does the HK$33 plan have any China call or international options? If so, is the rate any good? Unlimited free outgoing SMS?

Just to be clear, after buying the HK SIM, I can do the passport verification in my hotel room? Take a pic with my phone and upload it? Then instant activation and I can start using it?
What's your use-case exactly? I'm going to Mainland China in 2 weeks and I do plan to get a local SIM there too. To each tool its use, 3HK is good for HK but not so good abroad.

IIRC you'll be able to enable your 3HK SIM anywhere if you have a Wifi. I'm not even sure that's needed since they could open their own website bandwidth even pre-registration.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 18, 2023, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's your use-case exactly? I'm going to Mainland China in 2 weeks and I do plan to get a local SIM there too. To each tool its use, 3HK is good for HK but not so good abroad.

IIRC you'll be able to enable your 3HK SIM anywhere if you have a Wifi. I'm not even sure that's needed since they could open their own website bandwidth even pre-registration.
I know it's generally cheaper to buy a SIM from the country I'm traveling to. My long-term goal is to find an APAC SIM that gives me cheap data so that I have it on arrival rather than spend time and look for a store. Roaming with AT&T and T-Mobile can be very expensive. Although my T-Mobile plan gives me 5GB/month in 215 different destinations around the world.
Old May 18, 2023, 5:52 am

I know it's generally cheaper to buy a SIM from the country I'm traveling to. My long-term goal is to find an APAC SIM that gives me cheap data so that I have it on arrival rather than spend time and look for a store. Roaming with AT&T and T-Mobile can be very expensive. Although my T-Mobile plan gives me 5GB/month in 215 different destinations around the world.
Well if you have such generous roaming data plan I'm not sure it's worth hunting for cheap APAC rates.

At an eye-watering 15,000USD/GB (yeah, not a typo) in Asia, I do look for good rates... But with ubiquitous Wifi and your 5 GB, can't you just call it a day and use your current plan?

In the past, I had great success with Macau SIM cards that had 365-day, SEA-wide data plans. But those were different times, not sure if it's still a thing.

Last edited by maalloc; May 18, 2023 at 6:40 am
Old May 18, 2023, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well if you have such generous roaming data plan I'm not sure it's worth hunting for cheap APAC rates.

At an eye-watering 15.000USD/GB (yeah, not a typo) in Asia, I do look for good rates... But with ubiquitous Wifi and your 5 GB, can't you just call it a day and use your current plan?

In the past, I had great success with Macau SIM cards that had 365-day, SEA-wide data plans. But those were different times, not sure if it's still a thing.
5GB is generous? Not to me. It's great that one of my phones gets data before the plane even gets to the gate. I'll probably burn through 5GB in less than a week. That's why your 3HK plan got my attention.

US$15/GB from the Thai SIM?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.