Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Connecting flights in HKG without mandatory quarantine?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Given the latest news (5th Feb 2019) that Hong Kong is from the 8th mandatory quarantining travelers from the mainland, does anyone know or have thoughts on being able to
transit out of mainland China via HKG airport on a connecting flight (spending time only in the transit zone), without quarantine?

Need this information to make optimal decisions on getting back to home country with planned flights, where I'd much prefer to be quarantined.

* Coronavirus news at HKG
(URL restricted since new member)

** HK govt press release, 5th Feb
(URL restricted since new member)
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by 39steps
Given the latest news (5th Feb 2019) that Hong Kong is from the 8th mandatory quarantining travelers from the mainland, does anyone know or have thoughts on being able to
transit out of mainland China via HKG airport on a connecting flight (spending time only in the transit zone), without quarantine?
The detail is still not yet fully disclosed. But based on the wording, transit is not affected.

Remember - you can't enter in Hong Kong (i.e. passing the immigration counters) in any way. So by any chances you are forced to do so, you will be doomed.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 4:25 am

Should also point out that mandatory quarantine applies not just to those coming directly from the Mainland but also to those who have been in the Mainland within the past 14 days.

I believe they will be scanning the temperature of everyone disembarking from the Mainland transits included, and what will happen if you're in transit but have symptoms? Wouldn't be surprised if you end up someplace you don't want to be.

Then what if for some technical reason you can't get a boarding pass beforehand or check-in airside and have to exit and check-in out in the departure hall? Maybe they can't check your luggage through on your particular flight. etc.

Finally, there are many cancellations and re-schedulings at HKG these days on short notice. What if your onward connection is affected?

As said, until at least a week or so has passed and we see how this works in practice, I think transiting at HKG ex Mainland China will involve some risk.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by 889; Feb 7, 2020 at 7:33 am
Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Needless to say, no one should be "transiting" at HKG with separate tickets as this increases the risk of being forced to "enter" Hong Kong. It also seems risky to travel through HKG, even on a legal connection, if a short delay could cause you to miss the last flight of the day to your destination of with a particularly long or overnight connection. IMO, but of course YMMV.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by 889
Should also point out that mandatory quarantine applies not just to those coming directly from the Mainland but also to those who have been in the Mainland within the past 14 days.

I believe they will be scanning the temperature of everyone disembarking from the Mainland transits included, and what will happen if you're in transit but have symptoms? Wouldn't be surprised if you end up someplace you don't want to be.

Then what if for some technical reason you can't get a boarding pass beforehand or check-in airside and have to exit and check-in out in the departure hall? Maybe they can't check your luggage through on your particular flight. etc.

Finally, there are many cancellations and re-schedulings at HKG these days on short notice. What if your onward connection is affected?

As said, until at least a week or so has passed and we see how this works in practice, I think transiting at HKG ex Mainland China will involve some risk.
Another case of inattention to details by the SAR administration!
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:58 pm

The detailed rules do have an exception for transit passengers so long as they don't pass immigration, but as said, there's risk relying on that exception. Things do go wrong sometimes. A flight from Beijing was scheduled to land before midnight Friday night but arrived late, putting all the passengers -- not in transit at least -- into quarantine.

And if you do end up in home quarantine -- regardless how effective it is -- you can't leave HK for 14 days, and I assume the immigration computers will be effective in blocking you.

Note that if you are now safely in HK but were in the Mainland a week ago, say, you can't leave HK and travel back without being quarantined until 14 days have elapsed since your last return from the Mainland. Some people are going to get tripped up on that.
Ivan Denisovich likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:28 pm

Programs: American Airlines
I believe (and will put my belief to the test shortly) that ferries from the mainland directly to the sky ferry at HKIA are still in operation. I just bought a ticket on the CKS website for travel within the next 10 days directly from a mainland ferry terminal to the airport (with an onward ticket to another country where I will be admitted).

I don't think it is an oversight that CKS is still selling tickets to the airport, because the CKS website isn't selling tickets to any other ports in Hong Kong. The leaders/government or whatever you call the arrangement in Hong Kong shut down "cross border" ferries a while ago, but technically I think the ferries directly to Sky Pier don't count as cross border since you go through customs formalities to exit the PRC and go directly into the transit area at HKIA.

If true, this is a nice work-around for people in the Pearl River Delta who otherwise would have to fly somewhere else and then back to Hong Kong to avoid the 14 day quarantine. I welcome any input about whether the FlyerTalk community thinks this approach will work, and I will report back whether I am successful or ultimately arrange some other way to get into the transit area at HKG
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:39 pm

They certainly cannot "fly back to Hong Kong" AND enter Hong Kong until 14 days have elapsed since they left the Mainland without a problem. It's clear the rules apply to anyone who has been in the Mainland within the past 14 days, whether coming directly from the Mainland or not.

As to the plan in general, the risks previously mentioned, like your onward flight out of Hong Kong being cancelled or long delayed, still apply. If something goes amiss and you have to pass immigration, you'll be quarantined and can't leave HK for 14 days.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 1:27 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Ivan Denisovich
I believe (and will put my belief to the test shortly) that ferries from the mainland directly to the sky ferry at HKIA are still in operation.
I just arrived at HKG from DXB a few hours ago. Yes, the SkyPier is open, and doing brisk business too. Chu Kong (CKS) Ferry ticket counters next to transfer area E2.

Timetables (up-to-date):
https://www.cksp.com.hk/en/route/hk_...ine_price_hk_m

Services from the mainland to SkyPier are also operational.

However, TurboJET service to Macau has been suspended.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 3:11 am

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by 889
They certainly cannot "fly back to Hong Kong" AND enter Hong Kong until 14 days have elapsed since they left the Mainland without a problem. It's clear the rules apply to anyone who has been in the Mainland within the past 14 days, whether coming directly from the Mainland or not.

As to the plan in general, the risks previously mentioned, like your onward flight out of Hong Kong being cancelled or long delayed, still apply. If something goes amiss and you have to pass immigration, you'll be quarantined and can't leave HK for 14 days.
You are right about not being able to fly back to Hong Kong and enter without a problem within 14 days. Although I'm sure there are people who will try it (not recommended) and probably some who will succeed unless the customs officers are actually checking passports very meticulously.

I was speaking only about getting into the transit area for onward travel, not somehow trying to cheat the quarantine requirements when planning to enter Hong Kong.

If the ferry to HKIA wasn't open someone in the Pearl River Delta who wanted to get to HKG for upcoming onward travel less than 14 days out would have no choice I can see but to fly somewhere else (since all or nearly all direct flights from Guangzhou have been canceled) like Xiamen or Bangkok and then fly back to Hong Kong just to take an onward flight elsewhere. Since this morning anyone (except transport workers, etc.) crossing into Hong Kong at either of the land borders would be quarantined.

If something did go wrong with an onward flight, would a Ferry trip to the mainland be a possible alternative to entering quarantine? I don't know if walk up tickets are sold at the Sky Pier. If someone gets flagged during a health screen of course that's another issue and their problems are possibly much bigger than making a flight.

Last edited by Ivan Denisovich; Feb 8, 2020 at 4:39 am Reason: grammerrrr
Old Feb 8, 2020, 5:12 am
Original Poster

HKG transit test tomorrow

Tomorrow the wife and I are are flying PVG-HKG with Hong Kong Airlines, then an 8 hour layover in the transit area (hopefully), then HKG-MUC-LHR with Lufthansa.

If Hong Kong Airlines in Shanghai push back on checking our luggage through to Heathrow, I'm prepared to stand my ground that they should. If that doesn't work, then is there a precedent to get the airline or airport to get a porter to pick up the bags on the carousel and feed them onto next flight?

To put our family, friends, neighbours and fellow townsfolk at ease we are going to self-quarantine at home for 2 weeks, if the UK health authorities don't insist on it themselves. What we want to avoid is multiple lots of 2 weeks quarantine, each in a different country, though, touch wood, we have no symptoms at all during the past 2 weeks of self-isolation in China (in common with 99% of the populace here).
Old Feb 8, 2020, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Testing HKG transit tomorrow with two different airlines

Not wanting to do it this way but, for economic and flight availability reasons, we are sticking with our existing paid tickets. This is the route

HX237 PVG-HKG (economy)
8hr layover
LH731 : HKG-MUC (business)
1.5hr layover
LH2470 : MUC-LHR (business)

I fully expect we'll be, at the very least, temperature tested in each transit area, both coming off the plane and getting back on the next one - to minimise infection risks amongst the passengers and staff in the transit areas.

I'm optimistic that we can check our bags all the way through from PVG to LHR and thinking about strategies if that is not possible.

Add to the mix, car, then a high-speed train to SHA, then another car to PVG, given the roads are restricted, it'll be a long eventful journey home.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 5:47 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Ivan Denisovich
I don't know if walk up tickets are sold at the Sky Pier.
Yes, they are. Several counters manned by agents.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 5:58 am

If you cannot check your luggage through OR if there's no transit desk open to issue you onward boarding passes, you will be in a horrible situation. To repeat what was said above, if you have to go through immigration you WILL be subject to quarantine and WILL NOT be able to leave HK for 14 days.

Read the report about the HK resident who showed up today from HK at Shenzhen Bay and just wanted to do a U-turn when he learned about the new restrictions. No dice. He had to enter the Mainland, then return to HK and be subject to a 14-day quarantine.

That is, do not expect anyone to make any sort of exception if you find yourself in a bind. Do not expect to talk yourself out of the mess.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 889
If you cannot check your luggage through OR if there's no transit desk open to issue you onward boarding passes, you will be in a horrible situation. To repeat what was said above, if you have to go through immigration you WILL be subject to quarantine and WILL NOT be able to leave HK for 14 days.

Read the report about the HK resident who showed up today from HK at Shenzhen Bay and just wanted to do a U-turn when he learned about the new restrictions. No dice. He had to enter the Mainland, then return to HK and be subject to a 14-day quarantine.

That is, do not expect anyone to make any sort of exception if you find yourself in a bind. Do not expect to talk yourself out of the mess.
You are spelling out the dangers that I and others have explained already and I'm already well aware of. Stepping outside of the transit area into immigration in Hong Kong is the last thing on our minds.

I'm interested most in people's actual experience in HKG currently, though I'm about to be one of them in less than 24 hours time, so I'll find out first-hand myself how it'll pan out.

Given there are 30,000 Brits in China as well as many more other foreigners, many of whom will be leaving via HKG and with different airlines out of necessity, useful information and tips to increase the success of the travel can only be helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.