Wiki Posts
Search

Long term stay options in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2020, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Centurion, Virgin Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Long term stay options in Hong Kong

I am based in London but looking to spend 1-2 months in HK around March/April time. As such, I was hoping for some recommendations from those that have done extended stays.

Do you tend to stay in a regular hotel room, a larger suite/aparthotel or serviced apartment?

I imagine a regular HK hotel room without living or dining space will feel incredibly claustrophobic very quickly?

My preference is the Island.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 4:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by controlz
I am based in London but looking to spend 1-2 months in HK around March/April time. As such, I was hoping for some recommendations from those that have done extended stays.

Do you tend to stay in a regular hotel room, a larger suite/aparthotel or serviced apartment?

I imagine a regular HK hotel room without living or dining space will feel incredibly claustrophobic very quickly?

My preference is the Island.
This is a tough call, but regular hotel rooms are going for as little as HKD 7000 per month these days, while serviced apartment rents on the island are 5x this price. My friend explained to me that his monthly rent continues to increase by HKD 1000 per year. He considered lowballing the owner of his place, but decided not to do so because he likes it, and wants to preserve peace.

If you can afford HKD 30,000 per month, I'm guessing you could score a larger room at somewhere like the MO. Call the hotels directly to inquire. Speak with the assistant manager (GM has other duties).

Last edited by moondog; Jan 2, 2020 at 4:23 pm
Old Jan 2, 2020, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
First - 1-2 months are not long-term.

Also - hotel is your own option because:

a. No landlord is going to rent out the place for just a short-term.

b. All other options except hotel are costly.

I would say a small suite of any hotel should fit your need. However, all the hotels in the Island are quite expensive. I would say either you lower your expectation, or you can tell us more about your situation and see.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by garykung

I would say a small suite of any hotel should fit your need. However, all the hotels in the Island are quite expensive. I would say either you lower your expectation, or you can tell us more about your situation and see.
This is not the case now, though I'm not sure about April.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by garykung

You can definitely get a serviced apartment for a month or two, no questions asked. As to how much, it's up to you, but you can probably find some pretty good rates these days.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
You can definitely get a serviced apartment for a month or two, no questions asked. As to how much, it's up to you, but you can probably find some pretty good rates these days.
1. Hotels are cheaper than serviced apartments these days

2. Ctrip is a good option for 3-star hotels on the island, but none of them have suites

3. I like the MO because you can negotiate a good rate for their big rooms; I can't say the same for other 5-star hotels on the island
Old Jan 3, 2020, 1:29 am
Original Poster

You are suggesting I can stay in the Mandarin Oriental for HK$30,000 per month? Looking at Hotels.com it is about HK$3,800 per night...

What makes you suggest the MO specifically, and I assume the best option is to just email a number of these hotels directly?

Thanks
Old Jan 3, 2020, 1:55 am

You are suggesting I can stay in the Mandarin Oriental for HK$30,000 per month? Looking at Hotels.com it is about HK$3,800 per night...

What makes you suggest the MO specifically, and I assume the best option is to just email a number of these hotels directly?

Thanks
I lived there myself in 2003 during SARS when occupancy rates were very low. I found that management was very easy to deal with when I met with them in person. I was staying at the old RC at the time, also at a very low rate. The assistant manager undercut that rate by 25%, and put me in their second biggest room. Since this data point is 17 years old, it might be totally irrelevant today, but my gut tells me that they still have the ability to cut deals.

I suggest you call or visit them instead of emailing.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 3:58 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
We stayed at a service apartment opposite Wanchi MTR. Min. stay is 1 month.

But they weren't eager to provide quote or allow booking until it's close to actual arrival date. Understandably they prefer longer terms and will only consider 1-2 months if their units aren't selling. That was early 2019.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beep88
We stayed at a service apartment opposite Wanchi MTR. Min. stay is 1 month.
May I ask where you found serviced apartments online? I am not having much luck with Air Bnb.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
May I ask where you found serviced apartments online? I am not having much luck with Air Bnb.
Here let me give you a hand:

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=serviced+apartments+hong+kong&iie=1]
tentseller and Shi like this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I had great luck looking for serviced apartment for short term stay consultants using GOOGLE.

Last edited by tentseller; Jan 4, 2020 at 1:09 pm
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:57 am

Programs: MP, BR
What's your budget? Regardless of the prices I think that will determine what's a better option (if any options are available at your budget in the first place).
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chromie25
What's your budget? Regardless of the prices I think that will determine what's a better option (if any options are available at your budget in the first place).
HK$50,000-HK$70,000 pm
Isochronous likes this.

Last edited by controlz; Jan 6, 2020 at 2:13 am Reason: Typo on the cost.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:10 am

Programs: MP, BR
HK$5000-HK$7000 pm
Even at current prices you won't find much in terms of rooms that won't make you feel claustrophobic. As a reference point I got a rate at Regal Oriental hotel (supposedly 4-star) in Kowloon back in September for $500/night on a 2 week stay. There are Best Western - level hotels on the Island for about $300 per night - which would still be over your budget.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.