Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Meeting passenger from another flight before immigration?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2019, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdavantage Member

Good evening,
my wife and our daughter and I are looking to go and visit her family in the Philippines next spring and do a stopover for a few days in Hong Kong, and we were thinking of flying our my sister in law who just graduated University to come join us, who has never been out of the Philippines. We would be flying CX from LAX and arriving around 7pm in the main terminal, and she would be flying KA from DVO landing in the North Satellite Terminal around 8pm. So never having flown from the north terminal, I am not sure if there is immigration there. Would it be possible for us just to wait for her by the 7/11 right before immigration and then we all enter Hong Kong together, or would we all meet landside independently? Thanks for the help!
Old Sep 28, 2019, 6:44 pm

Much simpler just to agree to meet landside by some landmark like the MTR service counter.
moondog likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Snorkel 378 TH
Good evening,
my wife and our daughter and I are looking to go and visit her family in the Philippines next spring and do a stopover for a few days in Hong Kong, and we were thinking of flying our my sister in law who just graduated University to come join us, who has never been out of the Philippines. We would be flying CX from LAX and arriving around 7pm in the main terminal, and she would be flying KA from DVO landing in the North Satellite Terminal around 8pm. So never having flown from the north terminal, I am not sure if there is immigration there. Would it be possible for us just to wait for her by the 7/11 right before immigration and then we all enter Hong Kong together, or would we all meet landside independently? Thanks for the help!
Possible, perhaps, but certainly not a plan that would get my endorsement.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
So never having flown from the north terminal, I am not sure if there is immigration there.
North Satellite is basically a remote gate area. Arriving passengers from North Satellite will bus back to Terminal 1.

Would it be possible for us just to wait for her by the 7/11 right before immigration and then we all enter Hong Kong together, or would we all meet landside independently? Thanks for the help!
Originally Posted by moondog
Possible, perhaps, but certainly not a plan that would get my endorsement.
I have been heavily criticized for saying this in the past (even I am correct). But I would have say this one more time - What you have suggested is actually illegal, especially given the recent development of Hong Kong civil unrest.

Given the civil unrest has no sign of dialing down, access to island that houses HKG has been heavily guarded, not only restricted. Without a legitimate purpose to Hong Kong Airport Authority, you can be in violation of a court's issued injunction. In fact, people have been asked to leave the island when they claims they are picking up arriving passengers.

The best way is obviously waiting at the hotel you will be staying. If this is not possible, the best alternative, and to circumvent the injunction, is to eat and wait in a restaurant in HKG. Other than that, any other forms of waiting could and can land you some troubles.
moondog likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
He's arriving on a flight as well from LAX. The relative arriving an hour later, also on an inbound flight from DVO. He's asking about waiting before immigration for an hour while she catches up. How two people arriving in the terminal violate the injunction about meeting passengers at the airport is a head scratcher.

He could sit for a boring hour at a big transfer point like E1 or W1 and wait for her to come to the same place, then all of them walk to immigration together. How are two arriving passengers violating the "come to the airport to meet people" rules? When they both arrive on flights?

After immigration it's at least semi-interesting to get bags, wander around and kill time but before immigration I doubt the plan is illegal. I'd send two to get the bags and wait for the relative at a transfer point.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
He's arriving on a flight as well from LAX. The relative arriving an hour later, also on an inbound flight from DVO. He's asking about waiting before immigration for an hour while she catches up. How two people arriving in the terminal violate the injunction about meeting passengers at the airport is a head scratcher.

He could sit for a boring hour at a big transfer point like E1 or W1 and wait for her to come to the same place, then all of them walk to immigration together. How are two arriving passengers violating the "come to the airport to meet people" rules? When they both arrive on flights?

After immigration it's at least semi-interesting to get bags, wander around and kill time but before immigration I doubt the plan is illegal. I'd send two to get the bags and wait for the relative at a transfer point.
I share the same doubt, BUT

1. I certainly wouldn't chance it because it might be illegal
2. Even if it's not illegal, it's still a recipe to get messed with by officials
3. It's simply a bad idea
Old Oct 2, 2019, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by ricktoronto

As I have said previously, the reason why it is illegal as loitering is a restricted area is not designed for the purpose of waiting people. Given that people, who claim waiting for arriving passengers from ground transportation centre, have been demanded to leave the airport island by bailiff (this has been broadcasted live), I would not consider waiting is a legitimate purpose.

Also - transfer areas are used as described, which are for transfers only.

I did not write the injunction. But given the extremely tightened security, the airport island has practically become a warzone (at least to Hong Kong). So yes - OP is free to do whatever he/she wants. But I would not risk it at all.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 1:11 pm

Also, the moment you make an exception, then comes the litany of a plethora of other exceptions rendering the original intent of the rule/policy/law completely meaningless.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 2:12 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Basically, the other posters are probably right that you are not meant to do this, but I have always seen hundreds of people just sitting around before immigration and nobody harrasses them.

However I have not flown into HKG since the protests started and perhaps something has changed.

You can always wait there and if you notice that security staff/police are trying to move people on then just head to the immigration queue.... use the airport wifi to communicate.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
I'm not - yet! - familiar with the airside facilities, but we've been exploring using some transit facilities between flights.

Do those facilities/resting areas (e.g., Plaza Lounges?) require presentation of ticketing for outward bound flights before one can rest there?
If not, why is "waiting there" any different that "waiting [for someone] there"?
Again, the logistics may make the answer to this obvious, but we've not yet been there to see.

GC
Old Oct 4, 2019, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
Do those facilities/resting areas (e.g., Plaza Lounges?) require presentation of ticketing for outward bound flights before one can rest there?
Yes.

In fact, all lounges, except PPL T2 and CX Arrival Lounge, are located at the departure airside. An arriving passenger has virtually no chance to access the lounges unless the passenger is transiting and have an ongoing BP.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 9:36 pm

Yes you could do this.
Does anyone who said it's illegal have evidence for that? I don't see how it's illegal.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 9:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by HarbourGent
Yes you could do this.
Does anyone who said it's illegal have evidence for that? I don't see how it's illegal.
I agree. No problem at all waiting airside before immigration to meet family members coming off another flight.

People above seem to think that this would be in breach of the injunction obtained by the airport authority which, inter alia, forbids people from
(d) loitering in any part of the Airport without reasonable cause in breach
of section 20(I) of the Airport Authority Bylaw (Cap 483A);
But, of course, waiting for family members (airside) is a reasonable cause, so I don't see any problem here at all.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Three arrivals since the injunction: I have not seen enforcement of it airside (restricted area) pre-immigration. I only saw security in the terminal arrival hall post customs.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by christep
But, of course, waiting for family members (airside) is a reasonable cause, so I don't see any problem here at all.
With this injunction, the HKAA wants the airport island for both categories of people - those who work in the island, and those who use the island (i.e. departure/arrival only). When the bailiff demanded people, who claimed they were there meeting arriving passengers, to leave the island, I would not consider waiting for family members is a reasonable cause, at least to the Airport Authority. And this has been broadcasting live at that time.

Arrival hall is designed for arrival processes and other related purposes. If you say you need to buy something from that 7-11, sure. If you say you need to use the transfer desk or wait for the next ferry, sure. But waiting a family member? Definitely not.

You can believe what you want. You can see no problem at all. You can say there is no enforcement at all. But in the climate of civil unrest, is it a wise idea to do such thing? I don't think so.
moondog and MSPeconomist like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.