Hotel prices during recent demonstrations and other disruptions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel prices during recent demonstrations and other disruptions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2019, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by 889
The group has carefully said she has no role in management. Whether she has a shareholding interest has not been addressed.
She most certainly has a shareholding interest, it's not a secret.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 4:43 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Fromager
Saw an article about a "three-star" hotel called Winland 800 offering a monthly rate of HK$5,980 (around 25 USD per night)
Wow. That is cheaper than renting a subdivided room at HK with terrible conditions .....

https://www.scmp.com/video/hong-kong...-protests-drag
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by 889
More than being boycotted, they're being trashed.

https://cdn.i-scmp.com/sites/default...09/29/star.jpg
Absolutely no sympathy for Starbucks. They're always trying to walk the woke line and have their cake and eat it too. Let's see how they walk this one *if* and *when* they face the real possibility of losing potentially a billion coffee drinkers. As they way, put money where mouth is...
:D!, HarbourGent and Hydro88 like this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Curious to read about Hong-Kong business/leisure travellers experience as it may help future visitors.

1) What are some of the best deals/reductions you managed to get while booking a long stay package (7 nights and beyond) in 4/5 stars property in Hong-Kong?

2) Was it through published or unpublished deals?

Last edited by Fromager; Oct 2, 2019 at 2:22 pm Reason: Formating
Old Oct 2, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
Here’s a data point.

I am always in Hong Kong for the electronics trade fairs in April and October. I generally stay at the IC Grand Stafford and the Crowne Plaza Causeway Bay.

At the IC Grand Stafford, I will generally book rooms from the “Grand Premier City Room” to “Full Harbor View”, and always get my SPIRE upgrade. I looked back over my 2018 & 2019 reservations. They were generally $2200HKD - $2600HKD, depending on the room. Now? $1330HKD - $1500HKD.

I would normally get a “Deluxe Room” at the Crowne Plaza for around $2500HKD. Now? $1707.

I just also checked Hilton Properties and Marriott Properties, and the rooms seemed to be discounted. Maybe not 50%, but still much lower.
Interesting. Prices just jumped a few hundred HKD. And where there was availability with points, now there is now. Literally, overnight, it changed.

UPDATE: Must have been a glitch because they just reverted back.

Last edited by Gongzuokuang; Oct 2, 2019 at 1:52 pm
Old Oct 2, 2019, 2:07 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I managed to rebook a $5200 hotel reservation for $2700 using a HK resident rate which was available online without needing to speak to any manager. The normal rate was still around $5100.

Another booking I had prepaid for US$129 has now dropped to US$77 on hotels.com
Old Oct 2, 2019, 7:09 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Normally, the Pacific Place hotels are a bit out of my company’s price range...However, coming up in a few weeks, I can book either the Conrad or the JW Marriott for HK$1800/night on a prepaid rate for my 2-night stay.

I’m a Hilton Diamond member and will be a newly-minted Marriott Bonvoy Platinum member by the time I arrive.

Any input on which will offer a better room/lounge/breakfast/overall experience for a top-level HH member/mid-to-upper tier Bonvoy member? Will either permit a restaurant breakfast versus limiting me to the lounge?

I’ve never been this torn before on choosing hotels...I’ll have just achieved Bonvoy Plat, HH Diamond is also locked up for 2020 (will finish with 60 nights, won’t reach 70 for the next bonus plateau), and am within a year of lifetime Diamond. The only reason I’d lean JW (outside of the experience) is that I’m further from Lifetime Plat, yet close, and am inevitably chasing that with Bonvoy—so lifetime nights are a bit of a factor...

If one property for their respective Diamond or Platinum members is better than the other, or if in general one of them is far superior, I’d love to hear from those with experiences at both! I usually stay at the Hilton Garden Inn, The Courtyard, HI Golden Mike, or occasionally at the now-closed Excelsior...This will be a real treat for me!

(Other Bonvoy properties are a bit beyond my range yet, like the St Regis at HK$3200 and the Ritz-Carlton at HK$2700. And I’ll be staying at the Renaissance for 4 nights earlier in the trip).

Last edited by MBS MillionMiler; Oct 2, 2019 at 8:00 pm
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:41 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Normally, the Pacific Place hotels are a bit out of my company’s price range...However, coming up in a few weeks, I can book either the Conrad or the JW Marriott for HK$1800/night on a prepaid rate for my 2-night stay.

I’m a Hilton Diamond member and will be a newly-minted Marriott Bonvoy Platinum member by the time I arrive.

Any input on which will offer a better room/lounge/breakfast/overall experience for a top-level HH member/mid-to-upper tier Bonvoy member? Will either permit a restaurant breakfast versus limiting me to the lounge?

I’ve never been this torn before on choosing hotels...I’ll have just achieved Bonvoy Plat, HH Diamond is also locked up for 2020 (will finish with 60 nights, won’t reach 70 for the next bonus plateau), and am within a year of lifetime Diamond. The only reason I’d lean JW (outside of the experience) is that I’m further from Lifetime Plat, yet close, and am inevitably chasing that with Bonvoy—so lifetime nights are a bit of a factor...

If one property for their respective Diamond or Platinum members is better than the other, or if in general one of them is far superior, I’d love to hear from those with experiences at both! I usually stay at the Hilton Garden Inn, The Courtyard, HI Golden Mike, or occasionally at the now-closed Excelsior...This will be a real treat for me!

(Other Bonvoy properties are a bit beyond my range yet, like the St Regis at HK$3200 and the Ritz-Carlton at HK$2700. And I’ll be staying at the Renaissance for 4 nights earlier in the trip).
The location of both is great. The JW's club offerings are quite good with some mid-range booze (instead of bottom shelf like most clubs). The JW's club lounge setup is a bit weird, in that it's a restaurant during lunchtime and so it's not really a place you can hang out all day. They also inexplicably chose to put it on the first floor with zero views, which is a massive bummer, vs. Conrad's high floor with views club. They're both old hotels showing their age.

The Grand Hyatt usually tracks the price of the JW, so check whether it's available. It's a far far far better hotel than either the Conrad or JW.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by helvetic

The Grand Hyatt usually tracks the price of the JW, so check whether it's available. It's a far far far better hotel than either the Conrad or JW.
I agree, but since he's already slotted 4 days at the Ren, perhaps he wants a change of pace?
Old Oct 2, 2019, 11:25 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by helvetic
The location of both is great. The JW's club offerings are quite good with some mid-range booze (instead of bottom shelf like most clubs). The JW's club lounge setup is a bit weird, in that it's a restaurant during lunchtime and so it's not really a place you can hang out all day. They also inexplicably chose to put it on the first floor with zero views, which is a massive bummer, vs. Conrad's high floor with views club. They're both old hotels showing their age.

Originally Posted by moondog
I agree, but since he's already slotted 4 days at the Ren, perhaps he wants a change of pace?
Thank you both. Good to know about the lounge location for the JW.

Grand Hyatt isn’t really an option, since Apples-to-Apples would mean me booking an executive floor room which is going for HK$2800 (a thousand more than either) and thereby out of my budget. The whole point of choosing between the JW and the Conrad is my status getting me at least lounge access and maybe an upgrade. As a program, I have no interest in Hyatt given their generally beyond-my-allotment pricing globally and more importantly, small footprint (a lot of mid-size cities with no Hyatts to speak of). I used to stay at the old Hyatt on Nathan Road years ago, when it closed was probably my last paid night at a Hyatt...10+ years ago now?

And yes, 4 nights at the Renaissance for the trade fair right there at the HKCEC, followed by 4 nights in Guangzhou before heading back to HK for meetings—I’ll want something a bit different, and I do love a handful of the restaurants in Pacific Place. So it is the Conrad or JW for me. Just need more help deciding!
Old Oct 3, 2019, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler

Even though I am Marriott Titanium, I never stayed at the JW Marriott in Hong Kong, but I stayed at Conrad twice as Hilton Diamond. Conrad treated Diamond well. I was staying on points and supposed to get just the basic room and both times got upgraded to higher category rooms. And those were during time when the hotel was very busy. You could eat at either the exec lounge or the restaurant downstairs. I like the restaurant better as it has more food choices. And Conrad lobby smells really good according to my wife LOL. She is very sensitive about smell.

I can't believe the rate went down to $1800. I actually want to check on the rate when this thread started and most of the nights were like $2600+.
MBS MillionMiler likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 1:40 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Dang figures I booked a prepay, non cancellable rate back in May for a stay in February ...
Old Oct 9, 2019, 11:59 pm

Lounge wise, JW has an extensive array of food for evening cocktails, but you do feel like you’re in a cavernous place. And no matter how high a room you get assigned, you never quite get to see fully unobstructed view of the harbour.

Conrad lounge is lot more intimate with personable service. It also treats Diamonds excellently with highest possible floors assigned that accord stunning unobstructed harbour views.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 8:48 pm
FTA

Know someone that recently booked a HK brand 4 star hotel less than 1 mile from Olympic park for $55 a night including tax. Searched on Tripadvisor and clicked through to Agoda. Oddly going straight to Agoda was almost $10 more expensive.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 12:26 am

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by FTA
Know someone that recently booked a HK brand 4 star hotel less than 1 mile from Olympic park for $55 a night including tax. Searched on Tripadvisor and clicked through to Agoda. Oddly going straight to Agoda was almost $10 more expensive.
I assume $55 is in USD and you are talking about Olympic station (not park)? That's about the going rate. I booked a 2 week stay at Regal at Kowloon City in mid-September and paid less than HK$500 per night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.