Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Current situation in HKG

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2019, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
I arrive on saturday oct4 at 10pm, leaving next day at noon. I planned on staying at Kowloon. Still a good idea?
Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by chrissxb
I arrive on saturday oct4 at 10pm, leaving next day at noon. I planned on staying at Kowloon. Still a good idea?
Unless you have a very good reason to stay in Kowloon, I would recommend staying near the airport or at the airport.
The odd that something will happen somewhere is extremely high during that time period of the week.
moondog, chrissxb and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 1:37 pm

Even in perfectly normal conditions, a 10pm arrival time - especially with luggage to haul - would mean checking in at a hotel hardly before midnight. Sure, some food can be found, drinks be had at that time, but then getting up at 9am at latest again to catch a 12am flight, would mean cutting on sleep (or not even being tired due to jetlag)

Such a layover calls for "airport hotel" in any case, and in most cities in the world, unless you really know what you're doing and possibly have exact plans already.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Even in perfectly normal conditions, a 10pm arrival time - especially with luggage to haul - would mean checking in at a hotel hardly before midnight. Sure, some food can be found, drinks be had at that time, but then getting up at 9am at latest again to catch a 12am flight, would mean cutting on sleep (or not even being tired due to jetlag)

Such a layover calls for "airport hotel" in any case, and in most cities in the world, unless you really know what you're doing and possibly have exact plans already.
I'd probably pop into town and grab a hotel near Sheungwan/Soho myself. And, I'd comfortably sleep until at least 930a.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
I'd probably pop into town and grab a hotel near Sheungwan/Soho myself. And, I'd comfortably sleep until at least 930a.
Without luggage and if I couldn't expense the hotel, that would probably also be my best practice. I've not checked the Regal hotels prices, but if they're also down 50%, then the saving that such a trip would mean would be rather negliable. Sure, for a few pints, heading to TST or Mongkok is more fun than staying at a rather bland airport hotel, so it really depends what you'd like to achieve with that layover.

And for most travellers, it would be to maximize rest time. FT bunch are a bit different than average travellers, though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.