Reload this Page >

Impacts of demonstrations on travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garykung
A new thread/Wiki has been created to help FTers navigating Hong Kong during the civil unrest:

Hong Kong Civil Unrest - Survival Guide Q&As (Flame Free)

Please refer to the thread as necessary.
Print Wikipost

Impacts of demonstrations on travel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2019, 1:40 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I tend to agree with percysmith.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 1:57 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Just a little reminder that discussion of political parties and politics in general is not forbidden on FlyerTalk. There is a forum for such discussion for members who are eligible. This thread is for practical advice for travellers and not a place for political discussion.

NewbieRunner
Senior Moderator
Old Oct 24, 2019, 2:32 am

At the moment getting to Mongkok from the airport by rail if you're arriving at 10:50pm isn't possible. Whether the situation will have changed in two or three weeks who knows. You may be able to make it to Hong Kong Station on the other side of the harbour by Airport Express, though. Myself I'd just take the airport bus, whether heading to Mongkok or Tin Hau.

I'd strongly consider just staying around Tin Hau for the whole trip. There have been occasional problems there, but it's not Mongkok. As well, since the Airport Express has usually been running till normal closing to Hong Kong Station (but not to the other stops), it'll make your initial transfer into the city easier.

Not many HK taxis take credit cards.

By "Asian" supermarkets do you mean non-Chinese? A few shops in Causeway Bay especially that stock specialties from Indonesia and the Philippines. One or two with Indian specialties also.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 3:10 am

Programs: LX SEN, A3 Gold, BAEC Silver, HH Dia, CCarlson Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by 889
At the moment getting to Mongkok from the airport by rail if you're arriving at 10:50pm isn't possible. Whether the situation will have changed in two or three weeks who knows. You may be able to make it to Hong Kong Station on the other side of the harbour by Airport Express, though. Myself I'd just take the airport bus, whether heading to Mongkok or Tin Hau.

I'd strongly consider just staying around Tin Hau for the whole trip. There have been occasional problems there, but it's not Mongkok. As well, since the Airport Express has usually been running till normal closing to Hong Kong Station (but not to the other stops), it'll make your initial transfer into the city easier.

Not many HK taxis take credit cards.

By "Asian" supermarkets do you mean non-Chinese? A few shops in Causeway Bay especially that stock specialties from Indonesia and the Philippines. One or two with Indian specialties also.

@889: many thanks for your inputs! By "Asian Food supermarkets" I do actually mean - no exclusion - "All-Asian" food/drinks supermarket :-) where I can find in particular a wider product range/product diversity of any palate and cheaper prices than here in Central Europe.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 3:25 am

Any HK supermarket has more Asian stuff than you'll find in Central Europe of course, but largely mass market stuff and strongly Chinese-centred.

The China Products-type stores, the very very few that survive, have an interesting range of Mainland products. Head to the basement of Yue Hwa on Nathan Road.

The S Asian stores cater mainly to the S Asia workers, who congregate in various areas on Sundays. So the area south of Victoria Park just west of Tin Hau has a shop or two like this.
Cryofern likes this.

Last edited by 889; Oct 24, 2019 at 4:03 am
Old Oct 24, 2019, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by fkaway
Good day,

I am visiting my HK distributor mid November and my plans - been there last December - foresee this:

- arriving on CX (hopefully on their A350-1000 in J ) at 10:50pm on a Wed
- 2 nights accommodation options reserved: Hilton Garden Inn Mongkok or Hyatt Centric Victoria Harbor (my distributor recommended to stay in area Tin Hau/HK Island)
- arrival plans : travelling with airport express train/MRT to Olympic station and walk to HGI Mongkok resp. switch airport express train/MRT at Central to North Point for Hyatt Centric (got 1 suitcase spinner)
- departing 2 days later on a Fri midnight on CX

Questions:

- Is there a train/MRT curfew for my late arrival (after customs clearence I expect to get out terminal by midnight) ?
- and if yes, how long is a taxi ride and how much would a taxi cost (in HKD or USD) to HGI Mongkok or Hyatt Centric and can I pay any taxi by credit card ?
- if Friday evening protests grounding MRT, how likely to catch a taxi back to HKG airport from both locationis?
- Any recommendation near both hotels for $-$$ affordable non-touristy/non-fancy yet delicious Bao/Dim Sum/homemade dry-noodles, any nearby $ "Asian Food Supermarket" plus affordable $ - $$ Nail salon (also for male) within MRT short ride reach ?

I'm not scared by all means but I also want a seemless short HK business trip and if protests occur on Fridays (I understand that during working week it's rather calm), I'd rather spend that evening doing HKG oneworld lounge hopping.

Thanks for your help&stay save!
If your distributor recommends Tin Hau it is probably a very good idea. They are most likely around there.
Hyatt Centric is North Point, 2 MTR stops away but plenty of buses on King Rd to Tin Hau. It is walkable.

Base on recent events I would take Tin Hau/North Point over Mong Kok for recommending accomodations.

If MTR is closed you take AEx to HK Central and take a taxi from there. Taxing back to AEx HK Central station on Friday. The taxi can take the waterfront bypass.
OR
The airport bus A11 goes to North Point terminus which is a short walk to the Hyatt Centric. You can walk to the bus terminus to take A11 back to the airport. You need to keep up to date with the news for any road blockage. Most hotels (especially Hyatt) should be up to date informing their guest of traffic disruptions.

Many good and reasonable priced places to eat around NP/TH.
There are a few Indonesian and Filipino grocery stores around Victoria Park.
My grooming standard is low so can't help with other recommendations.
moondog and percysmith like this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 7:16 am

I'll add that because the stations there are deep, travelling by MTR just two stops from N Point to Tin Hau isn't efficient: you spend a lot of time getting down to the platform and back up. Don't forget you also have the tram, which can be fun if you sit upstairs upfront.
christep, tentseller and Cryofern like this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by 889
I'll add that because the stations there are deep, travelling by MTR just two stops from N Point to Tin Hau isn't efficient: you spend a lot of time getting down to the platform and back up. Don't forget you also have the tram, which can be fun if you sit upstairs upfront.
We had a test, from the corner of Piano Store St and King's Road. I walked along King's Road and was past Fortress Hill entrances when my friend WhatsApped that they are on the MTR train at North Point.

As much as I like the tram, they are not very agile and divertible when misbehaving people block the roads.

BTW Walking along Electric or Java is a food hunting experience in itself.

Last edited by tentseller; Oct 24, 2019 at 11:06 am
Old Oct 24, 2019, 11:15 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by percysmith
I think there's >50% chance the New Years' fireworks will be cancelled. Govt's committed to being killjoy so long as the protests continue (track record: National Day Fireworks, Winefest, MTR "closures for maintenance" at night).
Originally Posted by christep
I tend to agree with percysmith.
Thanks all, that's what I was afraid will be. I will maybe start looking staying a couple of days than fly over to Taipeh, although intial check of the hotel prices in Taipeh around those dates are coming up to totally crazy even for non-chain hotels within the downtown area. Will do some backup plan reservation and end of November finalize my plans.
Hoping that a good solution will come soon for HKG.

Cheers!

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Oct 25, 2019 at 8:04 am Reason: Redact reference to deleted post
Old Oct 25, 2019, 12:26 am

"The district council election could be delayed by a week if a riot is deemed likely on the November 24 polling date, according to a contingency plan."

Poll delay looms if violence arises as Wong hopes hang in the air | The Standard

Whether this sort of announcement increases or decreases the likelihood of trouble in that period can be debated. But it does emphasise again that those planning a trip to Hong Kong shortly before or after November 24 should be alert to the possibility that tensions will suddenly increase, especially if polling is in fact delayed or cancelled.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 1:17 am

Programs: LX SEN, A3 Gold, BAEC Silver, HH Dia, CCarlson Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by tentseller
We had a test, from the corner of Piano Store St and King's Road. I walked along King's Road and was past Fortress Hill entrances when my friend WhatsApped that they are on the MTR train at North Point.

As much as I like the tram, they are not very agile and divertible when misbehaving people block the roads.

BTW Walking along Electric or Java is a food hunting experience in itself.
@ 889 & tentseller: many thanks for your advises and inputs, much appreciated! ^
Old Oct 25, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
I am arriving at West Kowloon Station at 5:30 PM on Saturday. I have not seen any hints of where protests could be tomorrow. Has anyone heard anything? I am hoping it will be like last Saturday (relatively quiet) and not like last Sunday where West Kowloon was the focus of the protests.

I am staying the night at the SkyCity Marriott. I am assuming that the Airport Express will not be stopping at Kowloon Station, to play it safe I arranged for a hotel car to pick me up at West Kowloon Station.

If anyone has any insight it would be much appreciated.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: Independent
I know at one point the protests made it to the airport. Are they still out that far? If I stayed near the airport, would I avoid them? Also, what about Hong Kong Disneyland? Are they affected by the protests at all, and given that it is near the airport and not the city itself, is that a relatively safe/uneventful area?
Old Oct 25, 2019, 9:11 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Think airport protests have gone out of vogue since early August.

Can't give you absolute guarantees but don't think there has been protest incidents at HKIA since then (happy to be corrected)
Old Oct 26, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
I think there's >50% chance the New Years' fireworks will be cancelled. Govt's committed to being killjoy so long as the protests continue (track record: National Day Fireworks, Winefest, MTR "closures for maintenance" at night).
Not good. We have plans to stay in HK for a few days over NYE. I'll continue to monitor this thread for updates on the situation in general.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.