Best place to buy HKD in Hong Kong?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best place to buy HKD in Hong Kong?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Changing physical currency should be a last resort. I always carry USD as a back-up, but I never use money changers. They pretty universally have really bad rates. Especially if you plan to exchange $500 CAD.

You'll be FAR better off using a credit card with no foreign transaction fees at all merchants who accept credit cards. For those who don't, I usually hit an ATM at HKG airport after landing (in the arrivals hall) and take out some cash $500-$1k HKD to start. ATMs are everywhere. I've had good luck with an ATM card from Capital One Bank (not my primary bank account) and Bank of China ATMs. Very quick and easy and the rate is better than anything you'll get from a money changer.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
Originally Posted by swingaling
Changing physical currency should be a last resort. I always carry USD as a back-up, but I never use money changers. They pretty universally have really bad rates. Especially if you plan to exchange $500 CAD.

You'll be FAR better off using a credit card with no foreign transaction fees at all merchants who accept credit cards. For those who don't, I usually hit an ATM at HKG airport after landing (in the arrivals hall) and take out some cash $500-$1k HKD to start. ATMs are everywhere. I've had good luck with an ATM card from Capital One Bank (not my primary bank account) and Bank of China ATMs. Very quick and easy and the rate is better than anything you'll get from a money changer.
Really, what rate do you get? Because at Chung King for US$ a few months ago I got 7.73. I can't imagine the ATM being much better, if better at all.

No argument about the safety of not carrying cash. And many money changers around HK do charge rip off rates. But not in Chung King, in my experience.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MW147
Really, what rate do you get? Because at Chung King for US$ a few months ago I got 7.73. I can't imagine the ATM being much better, if better at all.

No argument about the safety of not carrying cash. And many money changers around HK do charge rip off rates. But not in Chung King, in my experience.
ATM and CC rates in my experience are pretty close to spot. Even if you can find a money changer in TST with a low spread, I really don't see a benefit. ATMs and CC are still far more convenient.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by :D!
ATMs are only useful if you have a way to get the cash into your bank account...
I used my US ATM card to take local currency out in foreign places, including HK, many times. Why do you need to get cash into bank account?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:18 pm

I always just take money out from the ATM wherever I am. There's a 1.5-2% spread against spot with HSBC Canada, but based on the amounts I'm buying (say 300CAD) I lose maybe... $6. I'm not going to carry cash around and take transit somewhere just to exchange money.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 6:55 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cxfan196
I used my US ATM card to take local currency out in foreign places, including HK, many times. Why do you need to get cash into bank account?
That's not the intent..

Because some patrons are not bankworthy. Or they have a "cash mentality".
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Due to competition, lower regulations, US banks seem to have very competitive foreign ATM charges.
This might not be the case with other countries where English is an official language: Canada, UK, Australia, NZ, Singapore etc.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:01 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I recall (at least from 6 months ago) that at Chungking Mansions, one of the first ones on the left just inside the entrance (maybe Western Union affiliated but don't fully recall) actually gave the best rate (for CNY-HKD-USD) after looking around 3 different shops. Sometimes, the first one turns out to be the best! He only had a small calculator producing a paper receipt with the proposed rate, no fancy computer or anything.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:56 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Err, because when you put your card into an ATM, the money comes from your bank account.

If you have cash, then you need to get it into your bank account before you can use your ATM card to withdraw it...

Originally Posted by tentseller
Due to competition, lower regulations, US banks seem to have very competitive foreign ATM charges.
This might not be the case with other countries where English is an official language: Canada, UK, Australia, NZ, Singapore etc.
Plenty of ways to get the Visa or Mastercard exchange rate with no fees using a UK card - if you want to convert GBP that is already in your bank account into a foreign currency using an ATM.

Australia - AFAIK no more 0% fee cards for foreign cash withdrawal exist but still possible for purchases.

Singapore - exchanging cash in Singapore is going to beat any bank product.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
For CAD, assuming someone from Canada, ATM exchange rate is 2.5 - 3% . Even with the "poor" (compared to USD/JPY.. ) exchange rates in HK, it's still way better than using ATM. Chung King Mansions and Berlin only charge ~0.5% . If you don't have a fee package, each ATM withdrawal costs 5CAD on top.

Only some obscure Canadian CC do not charge currency exchange fees. Again the norm is 2.5 - 3%.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by beep88
For CAD, assuming someone from Canada, ATM exchange rate is 2.5 - 3% . Even with the "poor" (compared to USD/JPY.. ) exchange rates in HK, it's still way better than using ATM. Chung King Mansions and Berlin only charge ~0.5% . If you don't have a fee package, each ATM withdrawal costs 5CAD on top.

Only some obscure Canadian CC do not charge currency exchange fees. Again the norm is 2.5 - 3%.
That's bank specific. The only exchange rate spread I pay with my HSBC withdrawals at non-HSBC ATMs is around 1% (compared against the spot rate) and I have no fees on withdrawals. There's still a fair number of credit cards that are starting to not charge exchange fees (though with the loss of Chase that was a big hit). Really it's just a matter of due diligence. Having said that, Visa and MC still charge a spread on the money of around 1% so really your 2.5-3% is closer to 3.5-4% if your CC charges fees.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Mastercard's current spread on CAD->HKD is about 1%. They're offering 1:0.164557 CAD:HKD right now. XE has it at 1:0.164578.

Originally Posted by tentseller
Extremely competitive. With a Schwab debit card, all you pay is the spread. No forex fee to the bank, no ATM withdrawal fee and Schwab refunds the ATM fee from the other bank.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by txflyer77
Extremely competitive. With a Schwab debit card, all you pay is the spread. No forex fee to the bank, no ATM withdrawal fee and Schwab refunds the ATM fee from the other bank.
Same with Fidelity.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by LoveHateRelationship
The only exchange rate spread I pay with my HSBC withdrawals at non-HSBC ATMs is around 1% (compared against the spot rate) and I have no fees on withdrawals. There's still a fair number of credit cards that are starting to not charge exchange fees (though with the loss of Chase that was a big hit). Really it's just a matter of due diligence. Having said that, Visa and MC still charge a spread on the money of around 1% so really your 2.5-3% is closer to 3.5-4% if your CC charges fees. .
My experience with HSBC on the ATM spread was similar to other banks at 3% but that was a few years ago, and I don't have 100K with them for the Premier package. Even their online global or local transfer service (HSBC Advance) charges more than 1 per cent on the currency spread, so it's great that you only pay 1% on your ATM withdrawals.

2.5 -3 % for CC is the final total that includes the 1% MC / Visa spread.

Last edited by beep88; Dec 13, 2017 at 10:06 am
Old Jan 6, 2018, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I haven't been back in HK in a while. My experiences in HK is that credit cards acceptance isn't as high as in Canada and the US. I would prefer to use as less cash as possible. Have things changed or maybe card acceptance is higher than what I perceive things to be? I'll be leaving for HK in about a week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.