Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Taxi surcharge from Kowloon Station to Intercontinental Hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taxi surcharge from Kowloon Station to Intercontinental Hotel?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Why are people more likely to take taxi up and tram down rather than tram up and taxi down?
The wait outside Garden Road Station can be troublesome. Depending on day and time, it could take as long as an hour.

Unless you walk around the Peak, the Peak Station is where people begin and end, which should not take more than 1-2 hours.

That's why people skip the line downhill.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
If there are one hour lines at Garden Road Station to go up, then aren't there one hour lines to take the tram down? If so, I still don't see the benefit of taking taxi up then tram down vs. taking tram up then taxi down.

Maybe a lot of people walk down. That might explain longer lines at the bottom station and fewer people needing taxis at the top.

Last edited by jphripjah; May 29, 2017 at 6:54 pm
Old May 29, 2017, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by garykung
Simple - they are mostly one-way trip. The remaining trip will be on the tram.

That's no certainty that taxis can pick up flags at the Peak.
Not quite. There is a taxi stand at the Peak Galleria, and there's always ongoing demand. Taxis line up but don't think they have to wait long to pick up passengers going down. Sometimes I've seen it where the taxi queue is dozens of people long, with few taxis available.

The "reluctance" to run the meter up to The Peak is purely w@nker taxi cabs that prowl the lower Tram terminus looking for desperate (and dumb) tourists who realize the wait for the Tram is two hours and the taxi will take you up there for a "modest" HKD 300 or more, when the meter fare would be HKD 50-60.

If you take a taxi anywhere else in Hong Kong Island and going to The Peak the chances of being scammed this way are very low. It's never happened to me and I've taken taxis up to The Peak dozens of times.
Old May 30, 2017, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by christep
I suspect evergrn meant to the very top of the Peak, not just to the Peak Galleria / Tram station.
Actually, a few visits ago I saw taxi drivers at the bottom Tram station offering to drive people up to the top of Peak (presumably Peak Galleria) for some huge fees (much higher than the presumed metered fare), and that's what I was referencing.

If there are one hour lines at Garden Road Station to go up, then aren't there one hour lines to take the tram down?
But there isn't. I can't explain why. The last few years the queue to go up always seems crazy. But the queue to come down usually seems manageable, although it tends to get longer up there in the evening. Even then you still have to wait some to come down. So these days I avoid the tram altogether and just cab it up and down.
Old May 30, 2017, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
If there are one hour lines at Garden Road Station to go up, then aren't there one hour lines to take the tram down?
Not everyone is going downhill at the same time. Some may stay 2 hours. Some may simply take the tram as an experience (up and down).

Originally Posted by Pickles
There is a taxi stand at the Peak Galleria, and there's always ongoing demand.
The demand can be quite different from Garden Road Station.

For starter, at Garden Road Station, the only alternative of the tram is taxis. However, at the Peak, instead of the tram, you can take taxis, buses (NWFB Bus Route 15/15B) and minibuses (Green Minibus Route 1) to get down.

The "reluctance" to run the meter up to The Peak is purely w@nker taxi cabs that prowl the lower Tram terminus looking for desperate (and dumb) tourists who realize the wait for the Tram is two hours and the taxi will take you up there for a "modest" HKD 300 or more, when the meter fare would be HKD 50-60.
The roads going up to the Peak makes all cars weak, not just taxis, although LPG does make a significant different from gasoline.

If you take a taxi anywhere else in Hong Kong Island and going to The Peak the chances of being scammed this way are very low. It's never happened to me and I've taken taxis up to The Peak dozens of times.
Very true. FWIW - trouble taxis are always around Garden Road Station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.