Wiki Posts
Search

Good 10K run near the airport

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good 10K run near the airport

I have a layover coming up and am wondering if it would be feasible to leave my small bag in a locker and simply run right out of the airport on nearby trails or roads then return, pick up bag and head to lounge for a shower and change before my connecting flight?

I arrive at 8:30 am, what roads/paths near the airport would be safe and runner friendly?
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:53 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Technically, you could do all the way to HAECO or something, but I'm not sure if that is 'safe and runner friendly'. You could look for a gym nearby?
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Technically, you could do all the way to HAECO or something, but I'm not sure if that is 'safe and runner friendly'. You could look for a gym nearby?
Running on a treadmill is like death by a thousand pinpricks.

Trails are my preferred medium, but pavement is ok, just don't want to get run down by a truck. Training for a marathon and run days are hard to get in while travelling.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I have a layover coming up and am wondering if it would be feasible to leave my small bag in a locker and simply run right out of the airport on nearby trails or roads then return, pick up bag and head to lounge for a shower and change before my connecting flight?

I arrive at 8:30 am, what roads/paths near the airport would be safe and runner friendly?
You could take Bus S1 to Tung Chung (15 min.) and from there run in direction to to Tai O until you want to turn around. Full distance is about 14 km one way.
Back in Tung Chung you would need to take the Bus back to the airport. See google maps and street view for what to expect. Although there is not much elevation gain compared to other trails in HK, it is not completely flat.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 8:10 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Pretty sure there's a path that goes right by the airport, which also offers good views of planes and Tung Chung.

I recall alighting at the Ngong Ping 360 bus stop, then crossing the small bridge on the way to the path towards the airport. Was it 10KM? No...but it was nuanced.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Running on a treadmill is like death by a thousand pinpricks.

Trails are my preferred medium, but pavement is ok, just don't want to get run down by a truck. Training for a marathon and run days are hard to get in while travelling.
Contact the Regal Airport Hotel concierge or spa/gym staff. Iirc, there used to be a list of running routes from the hotel. You can also use the spa during your layover.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-...near-hkia.html

I would recommend running from the Regal or elsewhere in the airport area across to Tung Chung and then pick your route on Lantau Island. If you do a search in mapmyroute or similar (or even google) you should find a number of possible routes.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by HKtraveller
You could take Bus S1 to Tung Chung (15 min.) and from there run in direction to to Tai O until you want to turn around. Full distance is about 14 km one way.
Back in Tung Chung you would need to take the Bus back to the airport. See google maps and street view for what to expect. Although there is not much elevation gain compared to other trails in HK, it is not completely flat.
+1 .
Take the bus to Tung Chung and run towards Tai O; you can turn around at Nam Tian or so. Better than running through the airport quarter.
Google Maps will help, "Hiking Trail HK" app for your phone will give you detailed maps and trail info.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Contact the Regal Airport Hotel concierge or spa/gym staff. Iirc, there used to be a list of running routes from the hotel. You can also use the spa during your layover.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-...near-hkia.html

I would recommend running from the Regal or elsewhere in the airport area across to Tung Chung and then pick your route on Lantau Island. If you do a search in mapmyroute or similar (or even google) you should find a number of possible routes.
Thank you! This is awesome. I was going to buy a lounge day pass but this is even better.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Thank you! This is awesome. I was going to buy a lounge day pass but this is even better.
Some of the other hotels in the area have similar offers for use of the gym facilities.
There seem to be a number of routes that start from Dragon House at Cathay City. I'm sure I've run past here on my way to Tung Chung when I've stayed at the airport and not headed into town.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
It's an old trail from Tung Chung to Tai O through several small fishing villages. If you want more open, wider trail to run, you can also go the other direction - also along coast line - and run to Yam O. About 12km, and you can take MTR from Sunny Bay back to Tung Chung.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 5:52 am

I agree fully with running towards Tai O, except that getting from the Tung Chung MTR Station to the trailhead can be surprisingly confusing, even if you think you know what you're doing. I'd take a taxi from Tung Chung MTR to the trailhead.

And make sure you've got a good map.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 889
I agree fully with running towards Tai O, except that getting from the Tung Chung MTR Station to the trailhead can be surprisingly confusing, even if you think you know what you're doing. I'd take a taxi from Tung Chung MTR to the trailhead.

And make sure you've got a good map.
Thinking about just ubering from the regal to the trail head.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thinking about just ubering from the regal to the trail head.
I ended up taking a bus from the Regal to the fire station and the trail was quite easy to find from there I ran out about 2 and a half miles so 5 miles total. Then used the pool at Regal. Well worth the money.

Today I had a longer layover so took the Airport Express in, I got a day room at the Mini Hotel Central, changed, ran up Old Peak Road around the circle at the top and down Peak Road to Magazine for a slow 7.5 miles. I'm going to feel that tommorrow. Showered and headed back to airport.

Thanks all!
Old Nov 13, 2016, 3:36 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Running up all the way up Old Peak Road is pretty tough! And coming down at speed is very hard on the knees.

Good to know that the Mini Hotel does day rooms. Never know when that might come in handy! ;-)
Old Nov 13, 2016, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep
Running up all the way up Old Peak Road is pretty tough! And coming down at speed is very hard on the knees.

Good to know that the Mini Hotel does day rooms. Never know when that might come in handy! ;-)
I'm not sure I can characterize my pace up Old Peak as "running" but I made it.

I'm not sure if the Mini Hotel does day rooms officially, it may be space available. I checked in at 9 and out at 5 for 84 USD all in. It was awesome for a shower and a place to nap, but it is mini!
Attached Images  
PatMcrotch likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.