Wiki Posts
Search

Bag storage in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: GGL, BA Lifetime Gold
Bag storage in Hong Kong

Next Friday (November 4th), I am finishing a multi city trip through China with a late night flight back to LHR from HKG. My colleague is a first time visitor to HK and we can arrive in HK from our overnight in Guangzhou at about 11.00am. It would be nice for her to have a day's sightseeing, although I might bottle out and find a seat at the FCC for the afternoon.
The sightseeing is the easy bit, but does anyone have any ideas what we can do with our (large) suitcases for the day, as we are not staying in an hotel in HK the previous night? I could arrive at the FCC like a travelling salesman but that would not cover the previous few hours.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Could you take the Airport Express to Kowloon or Hong kong stations and check in your case there for the flight back then go to do your sightseeing?

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Does that work for AY ( on a BA code share?). If so sounds perfect if we can check in 12 hours ahead of departure.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Africanflyer1955
Does that work for AY ( on a BA code share?). If so sounds perfect if we can check in 12 hours ahead of departure.
Yes it works for AY, furthermore BA and AY use the same handling agent. You can do this anytime on the day of travel.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Many thanks. Time to close thread (??) rather than see it highjacked with a rant about poor dim sum in the lounge.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 10:26 am

Programs: B A Gold
Hi .. I do this regularly and assume you are coming into HKG on the Dragonair/Cathay flight. If you want to leave the airport there is an efficient and quick booth at the airport where you can leave your bags securely.

You pay a minimum fee on return and then check them in.

Very easy
Old Oct 30, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
Firstly, I have flown AY and used the airport express baggage check downtown with no problem.

Secondly, there is a baggage store landside at HK where you can leave your bags for a fee.

Finally, for your transfer to HK from Guangzhou, you could consider taking the train to Shekou and a ferry from there to either the airport or to Hong Kong Island. If you need more info on the ferries then PM me. Shekou is a nice place for an evening out and the ferries are very quick and efficient, IMHO better than that awful land crossing.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Many thanks for all these helpful replies in the original tradition of FT!
Old Oct 30, 2016, 10:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ginger50

Finally, for your transfer to HK from Guangzhou, you could consider taking the train to Shekou and a ferry from there to either the airport or to Hong Kong Island. If you need more info on the ferries then PM me. Shekou is a nice place for an evening out and the ferries are very quick and efficient, IMHO better than that awful land crossing.
I am a big Shekou fan, but there are no trains to Shekou. From Guangzhou, your train options are Shenzhen North, Futian, and Luohu (slower train only, but departs from GZ East instead of GZ South). Shekou only makes sense for the OP if he/she wants to take a ferry directly to hkia. If going to HK first, both Futian (Huanggang) and Luohu are better options.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
I am a big Shekou fan, but there are no trains to Shekou. From Guangzhou, your train options are Shenzhen North, Futian, and Luohu (slower train only, but departs from GZ East instead of GZ South). Shekou only makes sense for the OP if he/she wants to take a ferry directly to hkia. If going to HK first, both Futian (Huanggang) and Luohu are better options.
yes moondog is correct. Shekou is a nice place, but you cannot get there directly by train from GZ. From the train terminus at SZ Bei or Luohu it is almost 1.5hrs on the metro to Shekou.

From Shekou you can get a fast ferry right to Central or a ferry to HKIA airside. The terminus is relaxing and not too much of a queue and the whole thing is far more agreeable than any of the other crossings, but it is only worth doing if you are already in Shekou.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 12:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

We're getting way off topic on the Shekou tangent here, especially since it is presumably of no use to the OP, but for the sake of completeness, I'd like to point out that the new ferry terminal is now open. Based on early reports from the field, it is considerably nicer than its predecessor (e.g possible to wait in chairs, more modern, clean), but one sacrifices convenience for the added comfort (1000 meters further away, and they want you to show up an hour in advance of hkia sailings/ 30 minutes for Sheungwan and Macau sailings).
Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Laphroaig57
Hi .. I do this regularly and assume you are coming into HKG on the Dragonair/Cathay flight. If you want to leave the airport there is an efficient and quick booth at the airport where you can leave your bags securely.

You pay a minimum fee on return and then check them in.

Very easy
At $12 per hour/$140 per day, I don't find the left luggage rates at HKG appealing in the least.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by dsquared37
At $12 per hour/$140 per day, I don't find the left luggage rates at HKG appealing in the least.
The rates are of course in HK$, which makes them not as onerous as they otherwise might appear.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Hello. Anyone know if there is a luggage storage facility at terminal 1?
Some external internet references say yes, but on the official airport website only the one in terminal 2 is mentioned.

Thank you!
Old Mar 24, 2017, 3:32 am

It's in the tunnel connecting the two terminals, and the two terminals are very close together, at least by international airport standards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.