Wiki Posts
Search

Dim Sum

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2016, 9:30 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

It has been a while, but I may be in HK in late August. A couple of points:

1) I'm looking for a seafood-specialty dim sum parlor. Seafood - har gow, and pretty much anything else - is all I generally eat for 飲茶 anyway.

2) If anyone would want to join, the dates are roughly in the early 20s of this August.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Hard to spend HK$200/person at Tim Ho Wan, unless you are super hungry, or you bring a doggie bag.

Tipping is definitely NOT necessary. And I doubt you'll feel like tipping at the end of your meal, since service is non-existent.

I'd take all the change.
Agree. Table sharing and the tea is not even any good. Dim Sum, well, dont know how the Michelin awards stars in Asia...

The original shop is within walking distance from the City Garden hotel at North Point we stayed for a night so we went. Not impressed.

For a relatively good and cheap eat, 稻香 at Wanchai during the morning special hours, was very good the time we went. Much better seating environment than the Tin Ho Wan too. Not every 稻香 is good though. We tried one in Kowloon and it was no good at all.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmcg
I agree. It baffles me too. The newer ones like the one in IFC doesn't even have quality. There are so many others that are better. Even some Maxim's ones have better dim sum.

How about trying the likes of Luk Yu in Central, or Dynasty at the Harbour View Renaissance in Wanchai or smaller ones like Dim Sum Square in Sheung Wan?
^ Our favorite for lunch / dinner as well. Excellent bbq pork, and some very tasty specialty mushroom (not Shitake) dish that not available anywhere else. Only problem is Dynasty can be quite expensive.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Happy
For a relatively good and cheap eat, 稻香 at Wanchai during the morning special hours, was very good the time we went. Much better seating environment than the Tin Ho Wan too. Not every 稻香 is good though. We tried one in Kowloon and it was no good at all.
I hate this brand because everything is prepared in its Tai Po facility.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 1:15 am

I work in Sai Ying Pun and we go to Saam Hui Yaat - 11 Pokfulam Rd quite often.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 11:35 pm

What's the best dim sum place in Admiralty (or anywhere within 10min walk of Conrad) these days?

Is it Golden Leaf? I don't think I've ever been to the dim sum at Island Shangri-la. How does that compare?

Too bad Victorian City is closed. I liked that place.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
What's the best dim sum place in Admiralty (or anywhere within 10min walk of Conrad) these days?

Is it Golden Leaf? I don't think I've ever been to the dim sum at Island Shangri-la. How does that compare?

Too bad Victorian City is closed. I liked that place.
Summer Palace at the Shangri-la is pretty good. A bit more expensive, but it's quieter than other places and service is a bit better. Haven't been to dim sum at the Conrad so I can't compare.

Metropol is popular (United Centre), but I don't think it's great. Lippo Chiu Chow (Lippo Centre) is probably the place with both reasonable prices and pretty good food.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 12:29 pm

Thanks. Dim sum menu at Summer Palace looks good. Definitely pricy, but not outrageous.

Not a fan of Metropol either. I've never been to Lippo Chiu Chow. I should look into it.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cmcg
How about trying the likes of Luk Yu in Central, or Dynasty at the Harbour View Renaissance in Wanchai or smaller ones like Dim Sum Square in Sheung Wan?
Lukyu: good - but mediocre service unless u r a long time regular who tips well
Dynasty: good n pricy. Dad's default business dinner place when he had to deal w clients.
Dim sum square: half decent. I would return if it suit my plans cuz its a local shop.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by garykung
Maxim 's Palace is a shithole IMHO.
Except being a chain the palace is far from a shithole. Most maxims in the business districts are decent- central, sheung wan, ocean terminal, festival walk, and taikoo
Old Oct 11, 2016, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by kaka
Except being a chain the palace is far from a shithole. Most maxims in the business districts are decent- central, sheung wan, ocean terminal, festival walk, and taikoo
Exactly. Not going to find the best food, but most locals find them more than adequate. And in Central, it's especially because they are part of the HKLand/DiaryFarm group, they can be in very good locations and still have relatively reasonable prices.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by kaka
I believe you misunderstand my post.

I simply focus on Maxim's Palace only. I did not say other Maxim brands are shitholes (although I will try to avoid all Maxim brands if possible).

In fact, I still go to Jade Garden in Sha Tin when I need to be there, which is at least better than Pier 88 and Maxim's Palace nearby for the same money.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:11 pm

Curious that shithole does not get bleeped out here, but ... does. (a**)
Old Oct 14, 2016, 9:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by garykung
I believe you misunderstand my post.

I simply focus on Maxim's Palace only. I did not say other Maxim brands are shitholes (although I will try to avoid all Maxim brands if possible).

In fact, I still go to Jade Garden in Sha Tin when I need to be there, which is at least better than Pier 88 and Maxim's Palace nearby for the same money.
i certainly wouldnt call the city hall palace a shithole. and if shatin you mean the one by shatin town hall, i dont think that's a shithole either.
put it this way, i think you get a better run for ur money at the shatin palace (a higher end maxim that serves dimsum) vs shatin lei garden (another big name chain that features in nice looking canto food)
AND there's still say tao heung, ho choi and the likes in between.

on top of it, the city hall palace is the very few places that serves dimsum on trolleys day in day out (serves, not self-serve a la lin heung- that's for another experience if you can stand terrible service, and fighting for food. but a very traditional and down to earth atmosphere from the old days.)

Last edited by kaka; Oct 14, 2016 at 9:42 am
Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:33 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
All right, I have a couple questions about going out for dim sum.

I'll be coming to HK with a couple of friends, for whom it'd be their first time in Asia. They're staying to explore a few days, but I've only got a few hours, arriving roughly noon on the 23rd of December and continuing to Shanghai at 9pm, so I figured a meal in the early afternoon, explore the city a bit, then I head onwards to the mainland while they have fun in HK. And I'm asking around here because the last time I've had dim sum in HK was roughly five years ago on a trip with my family.

First, is this timing an issue? (land at noon, clear immigration/customs, train to city, check in, go out for dim sum, total time around 2hr?) From my last trip to HK I'd assumed that dim sum was mostly a morning thing, but I could be wrong about that.

Also, someone earlier mentioned that Luk Yu has good food, but mediocre service if you're not a regular that tips well. Does this mean slow service? Waitstaff attitude issue? Something else? Location looks pretty good otherwise, even if I have to give up "takes credit cards" or "near an MTR station".

I was also looking at was Lin Heung. Is the food good, even if we have to fight for it? I mean, the friends I'm traveling with are the "up for anything type" so it's an experience if nothing else, but maybe we'd rather pass if we end up with OK food at the end of it.

(Those places in particular because they look the most like the place I went to 5 years ago)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.