6 hour transit time in HKG

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2015, 6:26 pm
formerly known as lady1964
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze
6 hour transit time in HKG

Hi,

Have a bit of a while yet but looking for advice on what to do during a 6 hour layover in HKG in mid February.

Arrival is from SYD on a CX operated QR flight in Business class at around 6pm, connecting onto a QR business class flight to DOH, what options do we have? Would we have time to have a few hours in the city or are we best off staying in the airport lounges for the duration? Is there a lounge that we can shower/freshen up, eat, relax etc, if so, which one? I'm a little unclear as to what's available to us and, for my sins as a smoker, is there a lounge which will cater?

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 14, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Depends on on-time arrival, your aversion to risk, the weather and interests in general...

Six hours is an awkward interval. Enough to get bored. But not really long enough for serious exploration. If the arrival is not late, there are possibilities.

The risk relates to the length of the lines in immigration - both in and out. Either can take a while. Regular visitors "cheat" via the eChannel lines which are quick.

If on-time and the lines are "shortish", taking a taxi or bus (HK3.50 each way) to Tung Chung would allow time for a trip up and back with the cable car to the Big Buddha. But not having a clear day makes the trip less desirable. My record on that is less than 50%.

There are plenty of shops in the discount mall around the cable car terminal.
I'm as a fan of the food hall, which is somewhat different to Australia's versions.

The fast train to Kowloon takes a little longer and there should be restaurants around the train station.

And remember you want to be back through immigration at least an hour before your flight.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Aug 14, 2015, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

Ot aside, id say you have much better dining options in town, which is ard a 30 min train ride from the airport at 10 min intervals. Assuming you arrive ard 1800 and depart at 0130, ud hv no problems going in town, hv food and go to one of the bars on top of the train station, then head back at midnight (last train at 0048... You need to take sth earlier!! I recommend 0000 and arrive ard 0030)
At either Hong Kong station or Kowloon station you do get 10/20 dollar meals up to 100+usd options plus a sky bar at ritz carlton hk. Much nicer than any options in the airport complex. Id say its totally doable if you dont mind the express train hop.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

For smoking, none of the cx lounges allow smoking but there are public smoking rooms in the terminal...
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
The questions and discussions have more to do with HKG and HKIA than CX. I am moving the thread to the HKG forum.

cxfan1960
CX CoMod
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Airport Express sane day tickets to HK Station. Take Star Ferry to Tsim Sha Tsui. About right tone for 8pm laser show on the harbour front. Reverse route to get back to airport and use the lounge. I highly suggest lower level, 2nd class on Star Ferry.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
I have basically the same exact layover before. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-...yover-hkg.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.