Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Overnight layover in HKG- recommendations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2015, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

I'm staying overnight in HKG during a pretty short layover.
What do you recommend?
Which areas should I stay in? (i'm probably going to use airbnb)
Old Jun 7, 2015, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
How short? a sleep room at HKIA might be cheaper when you add in the cost and time of getting to your rental.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

It will be from night time (7PM) when i arrive and 1030AM flight in the morning.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by dkjb3t4
It will be from night time (7PM) when i arrive and 1030AM flight in the morning.
It all depends on what you want to do between 8PM and 2AM? Walking the Ladies Market, Temple Street, Bar Street, nice sit down dinner, a cheap bed to crash in, etc.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by lax2010
It all depends on what you want to do between 8PM and 2AM? Walking the Ladies Market, Temple Street, Bar Street, nice sit down dinner, a cheap bed to crash in, etc.
You should have time to do all of the above and sleep in the city before heading back out to catch your connection.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Which area should I stay in?
Seems like hotels are surprisingly cheap unless I try to go for the top tier.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: CX Silver
Totally depends on what you want to do, but if you plan to do something other than sleep, I'd suggest Tsim Sha Tsui in Kowloon or Sheung Wan, Wan Chai or Causeway Bay on the island. All will be relatively close to things to do.

If you plan to show up and go to sleep and *not* take in the city for a few hours (this would be a shame, especially if you haven't been to Hong Kong before), you can be less particular about where you stay. I haven't stayed anywhere outside of TST or Sheung Wan in a long, long time, but then my employer's Hong Kong office is in Sheung Wan.

The places I stay are usually US$80-120 a night. You can do it for less -- and I did, many years ago, when I was in my 20s and 30s. How much you spend depends on how tolerant you are of cheap hotel rooms.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 8:11 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MisterTanaka
...The places I stay are usually US$80-120 a night. You can do it for less -- and I did, many years ago, when I was in my 20s and 30s. How much you spend depends on how tolerant you are of cheap hotel rooms.
and noise and dirt and "insects" and lack of windows and more.

BTW, I spent about US$90 per night at the Dorsett Mongkok and it was OK. A bit removed but close enough to MTR and food. I'd stay there again.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:11 pm

A few years ago, we stayed at BP International for something like $120US. Clean modern room with a decent partial Harbour view (skyscrapers of Central) to boot. Location decent too... right by Kowloon Park, walk to Harbour City.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I'm staying overnight in HKG during a pretty short layover.
What do you recommend?
Which areas should I stay in? (i'm probably going to use airbnb)
if you are planning on staying in central, there are reasonably good hotels in wan Chai for around USD100 or less (3.5-4 star equivalent)... a couple you might consider are the JJ Hotel (through booking.com only now as far as I can find) or the metropark wan chai (book direct). The metropark is easy to find, the JJ a little harder.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
I'm in a similar situation in January - flight arrives around 10:30 p.m. and next flight leaves around 3:00 p.m. I've booked an award stay at the HK Intercontinental and hope to have some time to wander late-night upon arrival, and then for at least 4 hours or so the next morning. Would appreciate any suggestions from anyone who knows the area. We've never been to Hong Kong, and will already be fairly adjusted to the time zone (departing flight from Vietnam).
Old Jun 14, 2015, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
if you are planning on staying in central, there are reasonably good hotels in wan Chai for around USD100 or less (3.5-4 star equivalent)... the metropark wan chai (book direct).
I think more like $120++, no?
Old Jun 14, 2015, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by dtsm
depends on your dates.. I did a couple of sample dates for JJ Hotel in June/July - coming in as low as USD57 in June and USD75 in July including taxes. Available through booking.com.

(The USD57 is the lowest I've ever seen it - there's a 33% off sale for the dates I checked in June... and I've been staying there since 2008! Not sure how long the 33% off is valid... booking.com says it's 'today's sale'.)

Trip advisor review here: http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_...Hong_Kong.html
Old Jun 17, 2015, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dtsm
The market is highly volatile (e.g. Charterhouse ranges between 600 and 2000).
Old Jun 17, 2015, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
depends on your dates.. I did a couple of sample dates for JJ Hotel in June/July - coming in as low as USD57 in June and USD75 in July including taxes. Available through booking.com.

(The USD57 is the lowest I've ever seen it - there's a 33% off sale for the dates I checked in June... and I've been staying there since 2008! Not sure how long the 33% off is valid... booking.com says it's 'today's sale'.)

Trip advisor review here: http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_...Hong_Kong.html
Could it be cheap in summer because it's not air conditioned?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.