Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Snide attendant comment overheard at HKIA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2015, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

I was clearing the transfer zone at HKIA while connecting flights.

On my same arriving flight was a Caucasian woman and her male travel companion, both of whom were dressed casually - round neck t-shirts and jeans - but nonetheless looking a bit scruffy. She was a bit on the rotund side and her blond hair was disheveled, while he certainly has not been shaving for a while.

As they put their boarding passes and passports into the scanning trays, one of the scanner attendants caught sight of them and exclaimed to her colleague in Cantonese in a slightly incredulous tone "First class? How can THEY be travelling in first class?!"

The attendant didn't realise that I understood Cantonese perfectly. Not wanting to pick a fight that really wasn't mine... I just pretended not to hear the first time.

She then repeated her comment a second time, thinking her colleague didn't hear as well!

After my hand luggage was scanned... I merely walked on.

But should I have pointed out to her not to judge a book by its cover? Or informed the other two passengers that the attendant was scorning and get them to deal with it? Or it really is none of my business what the attendant thought of them, and what they don't know doesn't harm them? What would you have done in earnest?
Old Jun 6, 2015, 5:55 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Unrelated to CX - moving to the HKG forum.

cxfan1960
CX CoMod
Old Jun 6, 2015, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by carrotjuice

On my same arriving flight was a Caucasian woman and her male travel companion, both of whom were dressed casually - round neck t-shirts and jeans - but nonetheless looking a bit scruffy. She was a bit on the rotund side and her blond hair was disheveled, while he certainly has not been shaving for a while.

As they put their boarding passes and passports into the scanning trays, one of the scanner attendants caught sight of them and exclaimed to her colleague in Cantonese in a slightly incredulous tone "First class? How can THEY be travelling in first class?!"

The attendant didn't realise that I understood Cantonese perfectly. Not wanting to pick a fight that really wasn't mine... I just pretended not to hear the first time.

She then repeated her comment a second time, thinking her colleague didn't hear as well!

But should I have pointed out to her not to judge a book by its cover? Or informed the other two passengers that the attendant was scorning and get them to deal with it? Or it really is none of my business what the attendant thought of them, and what they don't know doesn't harm them? What would you have done in earnest?
I can't tell you what to do but I do want to tell you that rotton egg exists any where on earth and that a Caucasian agent could have said the exact same about an Asian looking traveller. If I were the traveller, I would just walk away smiling even though I understand the language but that is just I.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 7:37 pm

Some people are like that, everywhere, no need to get upset over a rotten apple.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 8:34 pm

I would say it's unfortunate, but this is not your business and I would have left it alone. What is your desired result if you inform the 2 folks?

Unfortunately, prejudice (superficial or racial) exists everywhere.

Some years ago, I was dressed respectably (though I had a very youthful look) when I went to a UA F lane, and the person manning the desk indicated that this lane is only for First class passengers. My family was traveling with me, and they were not seasoned travelers so we may have looked "off". I suspect there was some racial or age prejudice in play there, but I responded that I am indeed flying F to her surprise, and chalked it up to the person just being grumpy so early in the morning. Not going to let it dampen the start of my trip. Obviously, my family had not flown F before then, and thought maybe we didn't dress like we belonged. I told them they were fine -- it wasn't them.

Even as recently, I had an encounter while I chatted with an Australian couple while waiting in line during check-in in. They asked where I am from (and I said, "Boston") and it was one of those "where are you REALLY from, or what is your ancestry?" kind of questions. I said I grew up near Boston (but also stated my heritage) to which they say -- clearly impressed -- "wow you speak perfect English" *facepalm* (never mind that my primary written and spoken language IS English, and I went through all the school systems here...) Had a similar encounter with another couple while on a tour. These are the unintentional/mostly harmless ones, though it gets old really fast (and speak more to other people's ignorance)...

Sadly, people very often judge another just based on outward appearances. It happens to everyone at some point in their lives. Not saying it's right nor am I justifying it, but I think everyone is guilty of it at some level. You can't get upset over a few rotten apples.

Last edited by BOShappyflyer; Jun 21, 2015 at 6:19 pm
Old Jun 6, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
Maybe should have replied in Mandarin or Cantonese that what she said was rude.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 10:45 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF

That guy looks like me, except that I'm brown and would usually be in tattered shorts, rather than jeans- I always look scruffy and am too lazy to shave most of the time...just ignore the bad apple! If anything the one remark I got from the person manning the entrance to the transit security was 'Ah - birthday in First! Happy Birthday - Enjoy!'.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 2:32 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SPG Plat
I get this all the time. I love the looks on their faces when they discover I'm flying in J. They're immediately more polite and nice (trying to make up for their mistake before I guess).

Same with the SPG line. Yes I am plat thank you very much.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

Perhaps you could have said something to the scanner in Canotnese... like 'thank you, have a good day'. That'd probably get the message across for them to be more discrete in their comments in future.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Given that we've all seen plenty of J and F pax who don't fit the "middle aged businessman in a suit" stereotype, I'm surprised that attendants would remark on what ANY J or F pax look like. The only qualification to be in that cabin is having enough $, points or upgrades.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The link that brought me here from the FT homepage bears little resemblance to the actual story. What's going on with the clickbait?

It's a shame this happened but in the whole scheme of things who cares what the workers at the security queue say?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 8:35 pm

I hear snide remarks all the time now that people use cell phone with abandon.It is none of my business or yours.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by lax2010
I can't tell you what to do but I do want to tell you that rotten egg exists any where on earth and that a Caucasian agent could have said the exact same about an Asian looking traveler.
A few years ago I was traveling with friends, FAI-ANC. We used the elite lane through security. The TSA agent at that lane said, loud enough for everyone to hear, "I hate rich people" speaking directly to my friends. Not sure why he said that directly to them, but it was obvious who he was speaking to/about. They were not dripping with bling or showing off their "riches" so I don't know why he said this, but we did make it clear to his supervisor that we did not appreciate his attitude.

It happens all over the world.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Your need to identify race, which adds no relevant information to your post, is possibly indicative of unconscious bias. While this is found in most, take this as an opportunity to realize and adjust!
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: none

You didn't say where you were coming "from" or "to"; what seat/row you were flying; or most important, how many (TRANSPAC) trips you take per year and your "status" on the airline. How can we assess how important your overhearing the comment is unless we know this critical information about you?

(Snark intended)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.