Reload this Page >

First time visit to HKG & Macau

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time visit to HKG & Macau

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2015, 5:01 pm

A lot of the malls have pretty accessible chinese restaurants. By accessible, I mean menus in English, food that isn't completely weird/scary to the uninitiated, and not too expensive.

The first thing you need to decide is whether you want to stay on the island, Tsim Sha Tsui (TST), at the southern tip of Kowloon, or somewhere else. For what it's worth I recently stayed at the Icon hotel in East TST. It's slightly out of the way, but not too far. There were quite a few families with kids there and the staff were very friendly towards our 9-month old.

Hong Kong is pretty good for play parks. For example, there's a good one where Salisbury Road and Chatham Road South meet in TST. You'll find plenty of children playing there well into the evening. Our daughter was too young to go on most things but she still loved it as there were plenty of kids around.

Getting between TST and the island is easy: the star ferries run continuously and take minutes to cross the water.
Old May 13, 2015, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ppp909
A lot of the malls have pretty accessible chinese restaurants. By accessible, I mean menus in English, food that isn't completely weird/scary to the uninitiated, and not too expensive.

The first thing you need to decide is whether you want to stay on the island, Tsim Sha Tsui (TST), at the southern tip of Kowloon, or somewhere else. For what it's worth I recently stayed at the Icon hotel in East TST. It's slightly out of the way, but not too far. There were quite a few families with kids there and the staff were very friendly towards our 9-month old.

Hong Kong is pretty good for play parks. For example, there's a good one where Salisbury Road and Chatham Road South meet in TST. You'll find plenty of children playing there well into the evening. Our daughter was too young to go on most things but she still loved it as there were plenty of kids around.

Getting between TST and the island is easy: the star ferries run continuously and take minutes to cross the water.
I checked the attractions online and it says they have Disney there and Ocean world. Nice for us with a toddler. What is kowloon actually? We prefer tostay somewhere near the center, close to stores, shops, restaurants, malls and public transportation. We don't eat any seafood so I hope it won't be a problem.

How much is it in US $ for cab ride from the main airport to hotels like the Hyatt?
I heared about airport express train that goes to the city but won't be convenient for us with big luggages and a toddler right?

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; May 13, 2015 at 5:56 pm
Old May 14, 2015, 4:05 am

Programs: CX Diamond
HK is generally divided into:

HK Island (the island)
Kowloon (the peninsula the island is next to)
New territories (north of Kowloon upto the border with China)
Outlying Islands (several hundred) including Lantau (where the airport is), Lamma (seafood restaurants), Peng Chau and others

See https://goo.gl/maps/whGWv

If you stay on the Island or in Kowloon then you will be able to reach most places with ease.

A taxi from the Airport to my home in Happy Valley on the Island is about US$45. If you pay more than US$50 then you have travelled a long way indeed! Note the vast majority of taxis only take HK$ cash
Old May 15, 2015, 1:59 pm

One tip is that Macau gets way expensive on the weekends due to the mainlanders heading over for a weekend of gambling. Recommend staying mid-week to save a few dollars.
IMO, an overnight stay will likely suffice.

MTR Airport Express has cars with luggage racks on the end. IMO, it's a pretty comfortable option to get you into the "heart of town". From there, you can hop on a regular MTR train (likely not that convenient w/ a toddler and luggage) or grab a taxi from a rank but keeping in mind, you may have to queue for one.

Originally Posted by tentseller
Warning: Just don't expect the American version these dishes to look, taste the same as the ones with the same name in HK.
+1
Old May 17, 2015, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
The cost of ferry ride for one way to Maccau is $164 economy and $326 superclass per person? Not cheap for 55 min ride.
Seriously?
Old May 19, 2015, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Seriously?
Maybe OP doesn't know the USD-HKD exchange rate?

~$20 USD for a ferry doesn't strike me as THAT ridiculous. YMMV.
Old May 20, 2015, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Maybe OP doesn't know the USD-HKD exchange rate?

~$20 USD for a ferry doesn't strike me as THAT ridiculous. YMMV.
How could anyone not know the fx rate (I.e. peg)?
Old May 20, 2015, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

MY mistake. I thought it meant US$.
Old May 21, 2015, 12:02 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I'm a local HK resident; in your case I would suggest you check out the JW Marriott in Hong Kong, considering you have a 2-year old kid with you. It is right above the subway (MTR) and an upscale shopping mall (Pacific place) and has good restaurants with all English speaking waiters.

Tsim Sha Tsui might be too crowded for your taste. It's good for visit but not for staying.
Old May 21, 2015, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kakapinky
I'm a local HK resident; in your case I would suggest you check out the JW Marriott in Hong Kong, considering you have a 2-year old kid with you. It is right above the subway (MTR) and an upscale shopping mall (Pacific place) and has good restaurants with all English speaking waiters.

Tsim Sha Tsui might be too crowded for your taste. It's good for visit but not for staying.
I will do some research on that hotel & location. The good restaurants with English speaking waiters are fancy ones and expensive? I like wandering around local markets and night markets, you have that there right? I hope the transportation there in HKG is as good as it is in Singapore. Loved Singapore's MTR and they have elevators/lifts on all stops. Very easy to get around the city ( though crowded) with short train rides and three day unlimited pass is only $20 with $10 refund if you return the ticket within 3 days. We stayed at the Hilton there on Orchard road.

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; May 21, 2015 at 3:50 pm
Old May 24, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Club Accor Gold
Many less expensive restaurants can still handle english-speaking customers; Café de Coral, for instance, has pictures of everything and a short English description, along with a number, so when you order you can just give the number and confirm "Coke" or "coffee" with the combination you want.

Local markets are all over the place; the one you probably want is the Temple St. Night Market. Very touristy, though, and often you can get the exact same stuff elsewhere in town for less (for instance, side streets/alleyway markets in Central and Sheung Wan).

The MTR in Hong Kong is excellent and I think every station is accessible; however, quite possibly only one of the exits to any particular station has an elevator, so you might want to check out a map of the the station to find out. www.mtr.com.hk
Old May 24, 2015, 2:43 pm

There's a good park with a great aviary right at hand to the Marriott, but apart from the mall and the MTR nothing else, unless you're into court buildings. It's a dead, business district. If you want to stay in a livelier area, and unless you've got business near the Marriott I think you do, then look into Causeway Bay/North Point or Mongkok.

Last edited by 889; May 24, 2015 at 4:04 pm
Old May 25, 2015, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by islandcub1
Many less expensive restaurants can still handle english-speaking customers; Café de Coral, for instance, has pictures of everything and a short English description, along with a number, so when you order you can just give the number and confirm "Coke" or "coffee" with the combination you want.

Local markets are all over the place; the one you probably want is the Temple St. Night Market. Very touristy, though, and often you can get the exact same stuff elsewhere in town for less (for instance, side streets/alleyway markets in Central and Sheung Wan).

The MTR in Hong Kong is excellent and I think every station is accessible; however, quite possibly only one of the exits to any particular station has an elevator, so you might want to check out a map of the the station to find out. www.mtr.com.hk
I like the Sichuan style meals & those that are on bit spicy like Kong pao chicken,fried rice, szechuan beef, hunan beef. http://www.beyondmenu.com/26938/chic...#group_1034615
Old May 26, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Club Accor Gold
You will have to look around for Sichuan restaurants; the restaurants I go to in HK are almost always Cantonese. Try http://openrice.com and search for Sichuan restaurants in the area of your hotel or areas of HK you want to explore. Look for restaurants with reviews in English.
Old May 26, 2015, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

How about the Intercontinental there? In my desired location?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.